How does Destiny compare to Halo?

#1GladiatorDangerPosted 7/19/2014 9:58:19 PM
Yeah I know different games and all but seeing as the game is being made by the creators of Halo series I would be interested in finding out how this differs, to be honest I am still not exactly sure what Destiny is, I heard it is somewhat of a FPS/RPG hybrid and already that is ringing alarm bells as I really was not a fan of Borderlands and if this is merely a Borderlands clone then my interest has been lost.

I am really not a fan of combining the leveling and stat based damage and loot systems of Diablo with the gameplay of a FPS as the 2 styles really do not compliment each other very well and you just end up with a game that sucks on both levels.
#2SculptorOvFleshPosted 7/19/2014 10:16:46 PM
GladiatorDanger posted...
Yeah I know different games and all but seeing as the game is being made by the creators of Halo series I would be interested in finding out how this differs, to be honest I am still not exactly sure what Destiny is, I heard it is somewhat of a FPS/RPG hybrid and already that is ringing alarm bells as I really was not a fan of Borderlands and if this is merely a Borderlands clone then my interest has been lost.

I am really not a fan of combining the leveling and stat based damage and loot systems of Diablo with the gameplay of a FPS as the 2 styles really do not compliment each other very well and you just end up with a game that sucks on both levels.

"wah wah learning curve."
is all i read.
#3GladiatorDanger(Topic Creator)Posted 7/19/2014 10:20:13 PM
SculptorOvFlesh posted...

"wah wah learning curve."
is all i read.

Obviously you have a problem with the english language then, seriously what is there to learn in Borderlands?
#4a687947Posted 7/19/2014 10:22:22 PM
It's more or less an mmo halo where you can aim down your sights
#5Xeeh_BitzPosted 7/19/2014 10:32:13 PM
If you hate combing leveling into FPS, you must hate CoD and BF. Gotta level up those weapons to get attachments to create a gun suitable to your needs, or to unlock other weapons, etc.

Gaining levels just gives you special abilities that you rarely use due to CD

Stats that you get from armor just reduce the CDs of those skills, gives you added armor. You don't become stronger as you level, only by weapons will that increase.

Stat based damage is really the same for other FPS, it all depends on the weapon. Same as other FPS games
---
3770K | 780 Ti x 2
Steam: Xeeh Origin: TurboPeasant
#6GladiatorDanger(Topic Creator)Posted 7/19/2014 10:55:15 PM(edited)
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
If you hate combing leveling into FPS, you must hate CoD and BF. Gotta level up those weapons to get attachments to create a gun suitable to your needs, or to unlock other weapons, etc.

You misunderstand what I mean, I have no problem with a progression or unlockable system in FPS games, when I say leveling I am talking about the Diablo style leveling where your character increases in strength with every level, where in order to hit harder and take more damage you need to level up, the type of system that eliminates skill from the equation and success is determined by how high your character's stats are and the loot they have acquired along the way, when this type of system is introduced to a FPS the game becomes less about position and aiming but rather more about the amount of damage your character can dish out per second and the amount they can absorb, in my opinion the 2 gameplay styles just don't mix.
#7SunDevil77Posted 7/19/2014 11:14:49 PM

That's odd. Because I think the two genres mesh quite well.
---
My teeth are swords, my claws are spears, my wings are a hurricane!
3DS FC: 0748 2141 3539
#8Xeeh_BitzPosted 7/19/2014 11:21:15 PM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...

You misunderstand what I mean, I have no problem with a progression or unlockable system in FPS games, when I say leveling I am talking about the Diablo style leveling where your character increases in strength with every level, where in order to hit harder and take more damage you need to level up, the type of system that eliminates skill from the equation and success is determined by how high your character's stats are and the loot they have acquired along the way, when this type of system is introduced to a FPS the game becomes less about position and aiming but rather more about the amount of damage your character can dish out per second and the amount they can absorb, in my opinion the 2 gameplay styles just don't mix.

Your character does not hit stronger because it leveled, it just gets new skills and can use higher level weapons.

You have to obtain a weapon in order for that to happen, same as other games. Stronger weapons as you get to the next chapter, etc.. It's not that much more different. It's not an MMO such as WoW where you can one shot crap @ 80 using no gear at all
---
3770K | 780 Ti x 2
Steam: Xeeh Origin: TurboPeasant
#9GladiatorDanger(Topic Creator)Posted 7/20/2014 2:18:53 AM
Xeeh_Bitz posted...
Xeeh_Bitz posted...

Your character does not hit stronger because it leveled, it just gets new skills and can use higher level weapons.

You have to obtain a weapon in order for that to happen, same as other games. Stronger weapons as you get to the next chapter, etc.. It's not that much more different. It's not an MMO such as WoW where you can one shot crap @ 80 using no gear at all

Good to know, but when you say stronger weapons how much do weapons vary in power?
#10GladiatorDanger(Topic Creator)Posted 7/20/2014 2:25:01 AM
SunDevil77 posted...

That's odd. Because I think the two genres mesh quite well.

In what way?