MS gave out console sales figures today

#21Sheepinator(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2014 9:53:58 AM
They are WW numbers.
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#22Sniper_BrosefPosted 7/23/2014 9:56:23 AM
Sheepinator posted...
They are WW numbers.

WW? World War? Not on my watch, commies!
---
We're representatives from your nation's government.
Detroit Sports Rule!!! - Millen is gone forever!!!!!!!!!!
#23SoulTrapperPosted 7/23/2014 9:57:58 AM
These aren't NPD numbers, they're from the earnings call.
So they are worldwide.
#24LordMordethPosted 7/23/2014 10:06:44 AM
SoulTrapper posted...
These aren't NPD numbers, they're from the earnings call.
So they are worldwide.

Ouch?

Why would they even clump the figures together other than to pad the count?

I guess that's just something that companies do when they're trying to sell something real bad and are trying to make it sound and look like they are succeeding when in reality they are not doing as well as they'd hope.

They really should come out with the REAL figures.. i mean, how bad could they possibly be?
---
Rage, whine, wah wah.. people really are freaking idiots.
#25Bellum_SacrumPosted 7/23/2014 10:13:47 AM
dnmt posted...
That number is terrible. Also reminds me of the time when Sony would group the PS3 along with the PS2 when it was getting its butt kicked in the US.

That's because both companies have Phil Harrison in common. People in this industry need to realize that whoever employs Phil Harrison will find themselves on the losing side.
---
"Now go ahead and leap ignorantly to the defense of wealthy game companies who don't know or care about you."
#26EoinPosted 7/23/2014 10:18:04 AM
dnmt posted...
That number is terrible. Also reminds me of the time when Sony would group the PS3 along with the PS2 when it was getting its butt kicked in the US.

Sony never stopped doing that. Their sales numbers still group together PS2 and PS3 and now PS4, and their handheld sales numbers group together PSP and Vita. PS4 is doing well enough that they make separate announcements for sales milestones, but if they didn't do that, we'd be guessing at PS4 sales as well.
#27SoulTrapperPosted 7/24/2014 6:42:07 AM
Eoin posted...
dnmt posted...

Sony never stopped doing that. Their sales numbers still group together PS2 and PS3 and now PS4, and their handheld sales numbers group together PSP and Vita. PS4 is doing well enough that they make separate announcements for sales milestones, but if they didn't do that, we'd be guessing at PS4 sales as well.

That's correct.
The issue is that they did announce the xbox one sales separately last time, they didn't do so this time.
So that indicates those numbers aren't something they're very proud of.

As Sheepinator said:

These figures suggest XB1 shipments were about 1/3rd lower in calendar Q2 compared to calendar Q1, and that XB1 shipments this past quarter were below where 360 shipments were last year.
#28Sheepinator(Topic Creator)Posted 7/24/2014 6:55:37 AM
Forbes article about it. I think the guys math is off, he's assuming even worse One sales by presuming 360 shipments were flat Q to Q, but anyway:

Xbox: One console, many problems

As Erik Kain reported here last week, the U.S. retail numbers for Xbox One donít look that awful. The PS4 beat it handily at retail in June, by 36%, but with nearly 197,000 units sold, Xbox One seems to have benefited from its recent price cut.

That said, Microsoft canít hide the fact that sales have been so tepid in 2014, itís been working through channel inventory and manufacturing barely any new consoles. Consider these stats: In the prior quarter, Microsoft reported 2 million console sales of which 1.2 million were the Xbox One. That means the company was moving about 800,000 Xbox 360s just three months ago.

If we assume that the 360 is selling similarly at this point, then this quarterís 1.1 million consoles likely consisted of just 300,000 Xbox Ones. To get a sense of how terrible that is, itís as bad as Nintendoís Wii U results for the quarter that ended in May.

Now, before anyone asks: How can Microsoft sell nearly 200,000 Xbox Ones in the U.S. in June alone if it shipped 300,000 worldwide for the entire quarter? The answer is that the channel has been sitting on too many consoles for and itís now working through that backlog.

Going forward, that almost certainly means more Xbox sales, but unless Microsoft cuts into Sonyís substantial lead sometime soon, it risks becoming the also-ran of this generation. And it doesnít help that despite saying nice things about Xbox, new CEO Satya Nadella doesnít seem especially committed to it.

In his now infamous 3,100 word memo on the companyís future, Nadella spent one paragraph on Xbox. He talked about its importance, but itís hard to see how itís very strategic for a company that Nadella described as Ēthe productivity and platform company for the mobile-first and cloud-first world.Ē

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markrogowsky/2014/07/23/disappearing-act-xbox-sales-plummet-while-microsofts-other-devices-continue-to-struggle/
---
My mad face and my happy face are the same.
#29SoulTrapperPosted 7/25/2014 4:12:27 AM
Only selling 300K worldwide does seem pretty low, although the NPD number for May was just 77K.

The guy in the article is talking about spinning off the Xbox and the other hardware divisions, which is something I saw mentioned a couple of times already a few months ago.

But considering Nadella just said they were going to merge all of it's major versions of Windows in to one, that seems unlikely.
#30dnmtPosted 7/25/2014 4:31:47 AM
SoulTrapper posted...
But considering Nadella just said they were going to merge all of it's major versions of Windows in to one, that seems unlikely.

I think we should take everything MS says with a huge grain of salt based on past events.