how does microsoft not sue for copyright infringement?

#1Retroxgamer0Posted 7/23/2014 12:22:05 AM(edited)
http://shield.nvidia.com/gaming-tablet/

look how close that is to an xbox controller. it IS an xbox controller. it even has an X design! im surprised they even used the same button colors, like a big slap in the face, and a way to say "hey we're totally going to make money off of your idea without having ever thought up our own controller, we'll just steal yours!"

this isnt a random thing either, its right there on the front page of gamefaqs as an ad :)
#2loafy013Posted 7/23/2014 12:20:19 AM
Because the company was built on stealing stuff from others. (apple did the same thing)
---
The ball is round, the game lasts 90 minutes. That's fact.
Everything else, is theory.
#3Retroxgamer0(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2014 12:20:41 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#4slowdog76Posted 7/23/2014 12:30:41 AM
it depends on the tech inside, im sure. a plastic casing is pretty arbitrary, but if the internal tech can be shown to be too similar to be coincidence, then they have problems
---
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
Confucius
#5NeoMonkPosted 7/23/2014 12:31:55 AM
umm lol what? someone doesn't know how patents work...
---
*Demands Sony and Nintendo release NEW games but is excited to play 10 year old remakes in Halo Collection* -XBOX1 Forums
#6Retroxgamer0(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2014 1:10:04 AM(edited)
slowdog76 posted...
it depends on the tech inside, im sure. a plastic casing is pretty arbitrary, but if the internal tech can be shown to be too similar to be coincidence, then they have problems

people have sued for logos before, that cant be the case. then again copyright laws are crooked and unfair anyways.

they took a shortcut by copying the design of a popular controller, and stealing the idea. they violated and infringed, they copied. in a justice sort of sense, yes they did break copyright protection...even if they didnt break it in the law's terms. just another reason copyright laws are so stupid. so many loopholes. you can copy ideas, but if you copy the wrong idea, and get an inept judge at the stand, you're screwed. thats why people sue so much...eventually theyre banking on an idiot judge i guess.
#7slowdog76Posted 7/23/2014 1:17:11 AM
you are all over the place there.

1: logos are on a completely different level to just the design of a controller.
2. you dont know what the copyright covers
3. it is unlikely it covers the outside look of the controller, especially when you consider 3rd party controllers have been a thing for aeons.
4. "even if they didn't break it in the laws terms". then they haven't broken the law.
---
Confucius
#8Retroxgamer0(Topic Creator)Posted 7/23/2014 1:22:02 AM(edited)
slowdog76 posted...
you are all over the place there.

1: logos are on a completely different level to just the design of a controller.
2. you dont know what the copyright covers
3. it is unlikely it covers the outside look of the controller, especially when you consider 3rd party controllers have been a thing for aeons.
4. "even if they didn't break it in the laws terms". then they haven't broken the law.

yeah they havent broken the law but they copied someone else's ideas as a shortcut. whats the point of copyright protection, isnt it to defend your creative idea? i do think it damages microsoft's brand if theres a bunch of mock xbox controllers floating around, just like it would hurt super mario if a bunch of worthless iphone games of mario existed. good ideas lose their novelty when they are overused. if i was microsoft i'd at least WANT to press charges, even if i couldnt. i hope nvidia is proud of themselves, they can copy ideas instead of being original. it really makes me want to get their tablet! a business that rushes ideas...i totally do not want to support that company's tablet now.
#9ThePuddingManPosted 7/23/2014 1:26:59 AM
Technically, the analog sticks are placed differently. If MS were going to sue based on shape of the casing alone they would probably sue Nintendo also because the Wii U Pro Controller is basically shaped like an Xbox controller as well, just with different analog stick placement.
#10slowdog76Posted 7/23/2014 1:39:56 AM
dude, seriously

yeah they havent broken the law but they copied someone else's ideas as a shortcut. whats the point of copyright protection

if there is no copyright protection, then that is why no law has been broken. considering that no case has ever been brought for the external design of a controller, then chances are there is no copyright on it. therefor, no copyright has been infringued upon. which means they can copy with inpunity.

i do think it damages microsoft's brand if theres a bunch of mock xbox controllers floating around

microsoft, and presumably other companies too disagree with you.

just like it would hurt super mario if a bunch of worthless iphone games of mario existed

thats debatable. however, the likeness of mario is worth a whole bunch more than a controller design. it is on a completely different level.

you are really getting your knickers in a twist over something you do not seem to understand
---
Confucius