Should Destiny be a wake up call to MS and their over-reliance on Halo?

#21SupaflyGibsonPosted 7/24/2014 3:11:13 PM
Exodus_Prime posted...
SupaflyGibson posted...
PhaseBlack posted...
Destiny is amazing, the universe feels far more fleshed out and inspired than Halo ever did and the gameplay feels great. It's the evolution of Halo, but it's not an Xbox exclusive. It's also on PlayStation, and being heavily pushed on the PS4 with exclusive content that will only be on it for "at least a year" according to Bungie.

Now we all know that Destiny will be the biggest new IP launch ever and gamers will flock to it, that alone will somewhat replace Halo for a lot of people. Halo 5 won't be ready till a year after Destiny releases, which is looking to be supported like an MMO with a plethora of expansions for years to come.

Halo use to be a unique FPS that not many games felt like when you played them, but Destiny feels a step above Halo in so many areas. Do you think MS should finally start making another series that hopes to be as big, of a new genre? Because it looks like Halo is going to suffer a massive popularity drop with Destiny now and also the Xbox One's unimpressive sales

So just bc you're enjoying Destiny a lot it means the Halo franchise is in danger? And did you watch E3? Theres a lot of new games coming out other than Halo. Also Halo will be more popular than ever with the MCC coming out in November.

He's just mad Bungie gave them Destiny and not Halo.

Also because Xbox owners will get through play Halo 1-4 AND destiny on their Xbox.

---

Judging by his sig I'm guessing he never liked Halo anyway, or even gave it a chance for that matter.
---
gt: For Spartaa
#22SunDevil77Posted 7/24/2014 3:24:09 PM
No
---
My teeth are swords, my claws are spears, my wings are a hurricane!
3DS FC: 0748 2141 3539
#23BrownGottiPosted 7/24/2014 3:36:41 PM
So the TC is comparing a Franchise created and developed by Bungie to a franchise created and developed by Bungie?
#24Miiri0Posted 7/24/2014 3:39:20 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#25Miiri0Posted 7/24/2014 3:39:49 PM
ThatLaoGuy posted...
I was a big fan of halo and halo 2. Reason I bought an Xbox in the first place. But sequel after sequel just gets repetitive, specially for an fps. Destiny brings back what we all loved about halo and improves on that. I don't see myself playing another halo, but destiny is amazing and the only game I want to play right now. Great job, bungie.

Truth
#26blitz_0623Posted 7/24/2014 3:41:20 PM
If MS was over-reliant on Halo they wouldn't launch the Xbox One without it
---
Nintendo FC - 2423-3428-2025 | Tangela, Swadloon, Quilladin
PM me if you add
#27TrickyPonyPosted 7/24/2014 3:44:07 PM
kcypher2000 posted...
ThatLaoGuy posted...
I was a big fan of halo and halo 2. Reason I bought an Xbox in the first place. But sequel after sequel just gets repetitive, specially for an fps. Destiny brings back what we all loved about halo and improves on that. I don't see myself playing another halo, but destiny is amazing and the only game I want to play right now. Great job, bungie.

Yeah this is BS. I love how the typical ponies try to act like they were bungie fans before when they went two gens of mocking bungie, shooters and paying to play online.

I guess maybe they think people won't remember the past troll topics they made? Seems the xbox hater all love Destiny the most. Xbox gamers get to play Destiny AND Halo. WIN!
#28scoobydoobydontPosted 7/24/2014 3:50:57 PM
blitz_0623 posted...
If MS was over-reliant on Halo they wouldn't launch the Xbox One without it

The Halo teaser was literally one of the first things they showed. Just because a Halo game didn't actually launch yet doesn't mean they didn't use the promise of Halo to sell Xbones right from the start.
---
"Why do you expect me to be rational? I'm a troll..." -Izraeil (aka Altair001)
http://i.imgur.com/8LUhEFG.jpg
#29TrickyPonyPosted 7/24/2014 3:58:28 PM
But everyone knows a Halo game is going to release on the Xbox console. It's like Mario on Nintendo and GT on PS
#30DarkReign2022Posted 7/28/2014 11:31:03 PM
Just the opposite, actually. Sony's desire to push Destiny so hard is their realization that they got the Halo guys to give them a franchise. Love it or hate it, Halo was considered the Holy Grail of gaming during the Xbox/PS2/GCN era and every FPS that came to market was quickly labeled "The Halo Killer" only for no game to live up to the title. The entire existence of the Xbox Brand is thanks to the early intervention of the Halo franchise establishing it as a household name.

Sony wanted it and while it's not quite the same since it's a new series and it's still multi-plat, it's still worth pushing the way they are. Microsoft and 343, on the other hand, have the tricky job of ensuring that the Halo franchise remains relevant. Halo has seen growth in the industry start from a time where Console FPS were weak and generally lauded (with the exception of a couple rare N64 hits) to an industry drowning in FPS titles on a yearly basis and it has the tough job of evolving itself while maintaining the core of what makes it so successful, which results in never being able to please the entire fanbase either way.

In my opinion, 343 is doing an admirable job bring the Halo franchise forward, focusing more on the story elements of the extended universe and really establishing it's presence among the heavy hitting sci-fi franchises like Star Wars, Star Trek, and Stargate (plus now that I think about it, it has the challenge of overcoming adversity by not have Star in it's title...)

So ultimately while Microsoft does need to begin branching out and gaining new IPs and exclusive franchises, they're not wrong to rely on the Halo franchise because it's no less sought after than Mario, Zelda, or Uncharted and so long as the quality of the games in the series continues to go up or hold pace, I see no reason to stop. When they release a Halo game that gets a 4 or 5 out of 10, than I'll considered agreeing that it's time for them to retire the franchise.