Calling all adult gamers

#81Froyo101Posted 7/24/2014 1:40:01 PM
foundryGod posted...
So true. BTW, I'm 35, married, 2 kids, full time job, and college educated. And I'm proud to have been part of the gaming community ever since I could pick up a controller. If there's any other mature adults that want add my GT for some fun online gaming, feel free. Just shoot an invite if you see me on.

Do you play halo on xbox live, tc? Cause if you do, I'll add you. I don't scream, curse, or invite spam, so you shouldn't mind me too much.
---
If a game is truly fun, you should be able to enjoy it even if it doesn't have stat tracking, achievements, good graphics, or a ranking system.
#82Chosen_one_41Posted 7/24/2014 1:40:21 PM
foundryGod posted...
Remember when the console wars were about bits and not res/fps?
When I was a kid during the Nintendo vs. Sega wars I honestly can't say I ever remember hearing a breath of it

When multiplayer meant 4 friends on the couch having a good time?
The only time I ever managed to get 3 other people to game at the same time was with the Wii because of how casual gamer friendly it is, before that it was always 2 player with one other friend

When you were excited about the newest arcade port?
Never cared much for arcades

When you had one system and your friend had the other, you just took turns playing at each other's houses?
Yes, so much this. I had an N64 and my best friend had a PS1 so we would play Super Smash and Mario Kart at my place and then take turns playing Spyro and Crash Bandicoot at his place.

When you waited each month for your favorite gaming magazine?
Ah yes, the time before the internet was readily available to me. I wonder if I still have some of those old Electronic Gaming Monthly magazines somewhere around here...

Or best of all, do you remember when you just had fun enjoying this hobby the way it should be?
From when I was 4 years old and starting playing the NES all the way to today where I game across from PC to various consoles I have not stopped having fun with gaming. I really hate gamers that claim that all games today suck and back then they were so great because they are just blinded by nostalgia. You know, the gamers that claim a modern game sucks because it includes some modern gaming feature but not actually explaining how that modern feature doesn't work other than the fact that it is "modern".

I'm sorry about ranting, but these pissing contests are just getting old. Why aren't more topics on here about the games and our enjoyment of them?
I'm not sure why but I've noticed a trend where you tend to get ignored if you make topics about games you enjoy, but if you say something bad about a game people will love to tell you why you are wrong
---
www.backloggery.com/chosen_one_41
I'm not a real gamer, I actually enjoy playing games
#83SetzeraPosted 7/24/2014 1:42:30 PM
Froyo101 posted...
Do what I do: Buy old, cheap games on gog and steam and just play those instead of the newer, crappy releases. I've had a ton of fun over my summer playing modded battlefront 2, baldurs gate, old source and goldsrc engine games, and quake iii mods.

That's not a bad idea, but I find not all new games are bad either. On Steam I have Killing Floor, Total War: Shogun 2, Pay Day 2, and Civilization 5. Which are all within the last 5 years of release, so not incredibly new.

I have bought other ones, but I find once I've reached my $1/hour ratio of entertainment, I'm done. Where as the games I've listed above, I seem to play for hundreds of hours. So I suppose I do own more than 10 games, but between PC, PS3, and Wii U.. I have less than 10 that I would actually admit to owning. lol
---
| AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 ghz | MSI 970A-G46 | MSI HD 7870 2GB | 8GB 1600 DDR3 | 650W Corsair | Win7 64bit | 1TB WD Blue | CM 912 HAF |
#84EllesarienPosted 7/24/2014 1:44:23 PM
Chosen_one_41 posted...
foundryGod posted...
When I was a kid during the Nintendo vs. Sega wars I honestly can't say I ever remember hearing a breath of it

The only time I ever managed to get 3 other people to game at the same time was with the Wii because of how casual gamer friendly it is, before that it was always 2 player with one other friend

When you had one system and your friend had the other, you just took turns playing at each other's houses?
Yes, so much this. I had an N64 and my best friend had a PS1 so we would play Super Smash and Mario Kart at my place and then take turns playing Spyro and Crash Bandicoot at his place.

Ah yes, the time before the internet was readily available to me. I wonder if I still have some of those old Electronic Gaming Monthly magazines somewhere around here...

Or best of all, do you remember when you just had fun enjoying this hobby the way it should be?
From when I was 4 years old and starting playing the NES all the way to today where I game across from PC to various consoles I have not stopped having fun with gaming. I really hate gamers that claim that all games today suck and back then they were so great because they are just blinded by nostalgia. You know, the gamers that claim a modern game sucks because it includes some modern gaming feature but not actually explaining how that modern feature doesn't work other than the fact that it is "modern".

I'm sorry about ranting, but these pissing contests are just getting old. Why aren't more topics on here about the games and our enjoyment of them?
I'm not sure why but I've noticed a trend where you tend to get ignored if you make topics about games you enjoy, but if you say something bad about a game people will love to tell you why you are wrong

Your last point is so dead on it is saddens me. ANY thread from someone saying they like a game ON THIS BOARD is always followed by "Reassurance post!!!". Amazing.
---
I will try and see it from your point of view, but I doubt we'll be able to fit both our heads up there.
#85Froyo101Posted 7/24/2014 1:44:42 PM
Chosen_one_41 posted...
foundryGod posted...

Idk about your last point, I mean, it's partially true, but I've seen a lot of nostalgic topics in the past few days where it was just people posting they're favorite games and why they were so good. Although, for the most part, troll topics do tend to attract more attention.
---
If a game is truly fun, you should be able to enjoy it even if it doesn't have stat tracking, achievements, good graphics, or a ranking system.
#86mjc0961Posted 7/24/2014 1:44:48 PM
foundryGod posted...

Yes, I remember the time before publishers abused Internet enabled game platforms to abuse customers as much as possible. Why do you ask?
---
AnthonM2 posted...
BTW I don't see The Last of Us as a western game because many asians worked with Naughty Dog on the game
#87ZebuFrenzyPosted 7/24/2014 1:45:17 PM
I remember the days when I went to a local store and played an arcade cabinet there. I didn't care which game it was, as long as I could play it. Twenty five to fifty cents was all I needed to have fun.

Also, going to Chuck E. Cheese was the best! All those arcade games (Ninja Turtles, The Simpsons, Jurassic Park) were fun to play. So many people of all ages would gang around the Simpsons and Ninja Turtles games waiting for their turn.
Then came that moment when I finally ran out of tokens and all I can do was stare into that empty cup where the tokens once rested. I was bored, just staring at my parents finishing the last of the pizza and having a conversation while I looked at all the other kids playing the games I wanted to play.

Even staying at home with my game consoles was great. Those memorable games (Super Mario Kart, Donkey Kong Country, Duck Hunt, Super Mario Bros.) still rank high on my list of all-time favorites.

It's true, those games didn't require the best bits to be a great game, just high entertainment value, and that's what they offered.

Oh yeah! You can't forget about the original Game Boy—8-bits of fun! Now those were some good times!

Nowadays, all the quality of games (or most of it) takes a back seat in favor of quantity; by that, I mean realistic graphics. Then again, indie games are proving that theory wrong.

It's too bad that the arcade experience is almost ruined by ROM sites (is that the right word?).
#88Froyo101Posted 7/24/2014 1:56:04 PM
ZebuFrenzy posted...
I remember the days when I went to a local store and played an arcade cabinet there. I didn't care which game it was, as long as I could play it. Twenty five to fifty cents was all I needed to have fun.

Also, going to Chuck E. Cheese was the best! All those arcade games (Ninja Turtles, The Simpsons, Jurassic Park) were fun to play. So many people of all ages would gang around the Simpsons and Ninja Turtles games waiting for their turn.
Then came that moment when I finally ran out of tokens and all I can do was stare into that empty cup where the tokens once rested. I was bored, just staring at my parents finishing the last of the pizza and having a conversation while I looked at all the other kids playing the games I wanted to play.

Even staying at home with my game consoles was great. Those memorable games (Super Mario Kart, Donkey Kong Country, Duck Hunt, Super Mario Bros.) still rank high on my list of all-time favorites.

It's true, those games didn't require the best bits to be a great game, just high entertainment value, and that's what they offered.

Oh yeah! You can't forget about the original Game Boy—8-bits of fun! Now those were some good times!

Nowadays, all the quality of games (or most of it) takes a back seat in favor of quantity; by that, I mean realistic graphics. Then again, indie games are proving that theory wrong.

It's too bad that the arcade experience is almost ruined by ROM sites (is that the right word?).

I think modern emulators are just fine for playing classics as long as you have the right control setup. I personally use a dualshock 3 connected to my laptop for them.
---
#89kholdstare04Posted 7/24/2014 1:58:53 PM
foundryGod posted...

how about when a game had no DLC or the game was not sold to us incomplete?
#90Piggins12Posted 7/24/2014 1:59:49 PM
Remember when people weren't manipulated by marketing . . . yea me neither.

Marketing will always make you feel inadequate where you either feel like you have to get every product available to make yourself feel whole, or you have to defend your purchasing decision to the extreme conditions to rationalize it in your own mind. Some people are more easily manipulated by the marketing. These people are called fanboys.