Why are new next gem games taking so long to come out?

#1skermacPosted 7/24/2014 7:43:02 AM(edited)
I know games aren't made overnight. But I remember articles stating devs could make games easier and twice as fast on next gen systems. With that in mind shouldn't game that took 2 years to make on the 360 take a year or less to make on the XB1 and shouldn't they be selling by now? Whats up?

I said gem in the title, meant "gen" typo.
---
To the edge of the universe and back, endure and survive
#2adonfrazPosted 7/24/2014 7:45:11 AM
I think devs said it's faster to bring games over from the PC dev kits to the PS4/X1 than last gen consoles, not that they can make games faster overall.
---
XBL GT: Loyal Catalyst
#3_MrENigma_Posted 7/24/2014 7:49:21 AM
I'm surprised (and somewhat disappointed) that almost no indie titles have been released during what is considered to be the "Dry Season" of video games. You'd think that indie devs would take full advantage of this time to get their games out where people are more likely to go "Look, a new game on the marketplace. There's not much to play right now. I'll check it out". Instead they will end up releasing their game right in the middle of AAA season where people are looking forward to the major titles like Evolve, Batman, Dragon Age, Call of Duty and a myriad of other titles. I just think it's strange.
---
XBL GT: "Wile E Nigma". 3DS FC: "0688 - 6570 - 4452". PSN: "WileENigma".
www.youtube.com/NotoriouslyInfamouz
#4skermac(Topic Creator)Posted 7/24/2014 7:51:25 AM
adonfraz posted...
I think devs said it's faster to bring games over from the PC dev kits to the PS4/X1 than last gen consoles, not that they can make games faster overall.

x86 architecture has earned quite a few points with developers, who have said that the new generation's similarity to PCs make it easier to develop for consoles.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131235-Capcom-Next-Gen-Development-Eight-to-Ten-Times-More-Work
---
#5skermac(Topic Creator)Posted 7/24/2014 7:51:50 AM
_MrENigma_ posted...
I'm surprised (and somewhat disappointed) that almost no indie titles have been released during what is considered to be the "Dry Season" of video games. You'd think that indie devs would take full advantage of this time to get their games out where people are more likely to go "Look, a new game on the marketplace. There's not much to play right now. I'll check it out". Instead they will end up releasing their game right in the middle of AAA season where people are looking forward to the major titles like Evolve, Batman, Dragon Age, Call of Duty and a myriad of other titles. I just think it's strange.

Agreed!!!
---
#6ExempliGratiaPosted 7/24/2014 7:57:43 AM
Bejeweled 3?
---
Xbox Live Gamertag :ShottaSteveUrkel PSN: Hollaatmyfoot PSNvita: ExempliaGratia
#7EiffelPosted 7/24/2014 8:08:37 AM
There was a lack of confidence in this console generation prior to release so there wasn't as much investment. Publishers tended to want to release cross-gen or on last-gen because they believed that's where the users were.

The success of current gen consoles caught them off guard. PS4 is selling exceptionally well and X1 is also selling well (although not PS4 numbers obviously). Now there is more investment in next gen only projects but it takes some time for them to show up at retail.

Next gen consoles are easier to develop for but it isn't going to cut development time in half.
#8skermac(Topic Creator)Posted 7/24/2014 9:34:56 AM
Eiffel posted...
There was a lack of confidence in this console generation prior to release so there wasn't as much investment. Publishers tended to want to release cross-gen or on last-gen because they believed that's where the users were.

The success of current gen consoles caught them off guard. PS4 is selling exceptionally well and X1 is also selling well (although not PS4 numbers obviously). Now there is more investment in next gen only projects but it takes some time for them to show up at retail.

Next gen consoles are easier to develop for but it isn't going to cut development time in half.

You actually make sense.
---