Help me settle a debate

#1pnut3844Posted 7/24/2014 9:53:09 AM
Ok so me and my friend were discussing gaming. He's a fps fan (as am I) but I love a great rpg the best. Elder scrolls, fallout, boarderlands, you get the point. Anyhow, he was saying there is no replay value in rpg bc the story is the same if you're a mage or warrior. He said he hasn't had a game with the amount of high replay value since halo 3. I said dude that story is way more linear than rpgs. Anyhow, my point is I tried to tell him replay value doesn't apply to MP, just main story/campaign. You can't replay MP, you just continue to play. He maintains it does apply. What are your thoughts? I've always used the term for campaigns, bc in MP you don't replay anything, not even the last match you played.
#2dataDyneSoldierPosted 7/24/2014 9:58:46 AM
I know that everyone has an opinion, but your friend's is just flat-out wrong.
---
BOlieve! http://i.imgur.com/ABd2uA1.gif
"You may not like him, Minister. But you can't deny: Dumbledore's got style."
#3pnut3844(Topic Creator)Posted 7/24/2014 10:00:24 AM
dataDyneSoldier posted...
I know that everyone has an opinion, but your friend's is just flat-out wrong.

Thank you. I agree lol.
#4slyman19Posted 7/24/2014 10:01:22 AM
MP does count as replay value.
#5KipbondurPosted 7/24/2014 10:01:34 AM
I view replayability as how long after you finish a game that you keep playing it, so by that criteria MO counts in to replayability.

I've also dumped hundreds of hours into the fallout and elder scrolls games making and roleplaying different characters and completing certain quests in different ways.

Just my views on it.
---
GT: Kip Bondur
#6pnut3844(Topic Creator)Posted 7/24/2014 10:05:41 AM
slyman19 posted...

How would you consider that replay value? You can't finish MP and then replay it. Therefore by definition it can't be applied to MP. You simply continue to play, never replay. It's endless, therefore cant be replayed.
#7billsfanno1Posted 7/24/2014 10:08:45 AM
Replay value does apply to MP, otherwise you're telling me that PvZ:GW has no replay value and that's an insane argument to make.

Replay value with RPGs is highly subjective. Your friend is right about the story, but playing as different characters and with different attributes is tremendous replay value if you like doing that kind of stuff.

I think you both narrowed the scope of the other's favorite genre in an effort to win an argument. I call it a draw. Go play some Borderlands together and makeup.
#8slyman19Posted 7/24/2014 10:09:02 AM
pnut3844 posted...
slyman19 posted...

How would you consider that replay value? You can't finish MP and then replay it. Therefore by definition it can't be applied to MP. You simply continue to play, never replay. It's endless, therefore cant be replayed.

Replay value is defined as how much stuff the game offers after you beat the main mission/quest. Not just how many times you can replay the main story.
#9DepreceV2Posted 7/24/2014 10:13:42 AM
There is replay value in MP. I get your point about multiplayer but you are dissecting games and deperating different aspects of the game to judge instead of looking at it as a whole. It's not fair to put replay value of a pure RPG against a FPS with a single player and multiplayer. Multiplayer is part if the game as well. Plus after you play a certain game mode on a certain map you already played it. When you play it again the map and game mode doesn't change. Just the players, guns, etc change. It's still the same thing it's just far more random than the RPG
---
It's amazing how every time you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot! ~Vegeta
#10pnut3844(Topic Creator)Posted 7/24/2014 10:17:58 AM
billsfanno1 posted...
Replay value does apply to MP, otherwise you're telling me that PvZ:GW has no replay value and that's an insane argument to make.

Replay value with RPGs is highly subjective. Your friend is right about the story, but playing as different characters and with different attributes is tremendous replay value if you like doing that kind of stuff.

I think you both narrowed the scope of the other's favorite genre in an effort to win an argument. I call it a draw. Go play some Borderlands together and makeup.

I love a good fps myself, I've logged countless hours on halo 3 alone. It's not a debate over what type of game is better, I'm just under the opinion that you can't apply replay value to MP.