Help me settle a debate

#11X_F_L_A_W_XPosted 7/24/2014 11:20:00 AM
"slyman19 posted...
pnut3844 posted...
slyman19 posted...
MP does count as replay value.

How would you consider that replay value? You can't finish MP and then replay it. Therefore by definition it can't be applied to MP. You simply continue to play, never replay. It's endless, therefore cant be replayed.

Replay value is defined as how much stuff the game offers after you beat the main mission/quest. Not just how many times you can replay the main story.

I've always taken "replay value" as replaying stuff you've already done...otherwise it wouldn't be called "replay." How much stuff the game offers aside from the main story is not replay value unless you've already done it and then do it again.

With that in mind, I don't classify MP as something you replay because it's not the same experience every time. I can see how others would think as much if they classify replay value as how often you can keep coming back to the game, but that's technically not re-playing it if you're not doing the main story again, it would just be playing it more. "Lasting appeal" would be a better term for something like MP that you keep coming back to.
---
We all give up eventually...
#12KipbondurPosted 7/24/2014 11:21:22 AM
pnut3844 posted...
billsfanno1 posted...
Replay value does apply to MP, otherwise you're telling me that PvZ:GW has no replay value and that's an insane argument to make.

Replay value with RPGs is highly subjective. Your friend is right about the story, but playing as different characters and with different attributes is tremendous replay value if you like doing that kind of stuff.

I think you both narrowed the scope of the other's favorite genre in an effort to win an argument. I call it a draw. Go play some Borderlands together and makeup.

I love a good fps myself, I've logged countless hours on halo 3 alone. It's not a debate over what type of game is better, I'm just under the opinion that you can't apply replay value to MP.

I think you have too much of a literal interpretation of replay value. If you can't apply replay value to MP, then by that logic, Titanfall has 0 replay value along with PvZ.
---
GT: Kip Bondur
#13pnut3844(Topic Creator)Posted 7/24/2014 11:21:29 AM
X_F_L_A_W_X posted...
"slyman19 posted...
pnut3844 posted...
slyman19 posted...

How would you consider that replay value? You can't finish MP and then replay it. Therefore by definition it can't be applied to MP. You simply continue to play, never replay. It's endless, therefore cant be replayed.

Replay value is defined as how much stuff the game offers after you beat the main mission/quest. Not just how many times you can replay the main story.

I've always taken "replay value" as replaying stuff you've already done...otherwise it wouldn't be called "replay." How much stuff the game offers aside from the main story is not replay value unless you've already done it and then do it again.

With that in mind, I don't classify MP as something you replay because it's not the same experience every time. I can see how others would think as much if they classify replay value as how often you can keep coming back to the game, but that's technically not re-playing it if you're not doing the main story again, it would just be playing it more. "Lasting appeal" would be a better term for something like MP that you keep coming back to.

Exactly my point thank you for explaining a little better lol
#14EstocassassinPosted 7/24/2014 11:27:51 AM
pnut3844 posted...
slyman19 posted...

Thats just semantics though, mp does count towards replay value.

Has your friend ever tried a decent rpg lol?
#15EstocassassinPosted 7/24/2014 11:29:37 AM
X_F_L_A_W_X posted...
"slyman19 posted...
pnut3844 posted...
slyman19 posted...

But skyrim or fallout has a different experience every time so that means they have no replay value?
#16EllesarienPosted 7/24/2014 11:34:30 AM
I'm a huge RPG fan but I don't think they hold any replay value (at least for me).

I don't think I have ever really replayed a full RPG ever. I guess me playing DA:O again on my PC YEARS after I played it on the 360 would be my only example of doing so.

That is just for me though...Maybe people do play RPG's over and over again but I just don't see the point.

Heck. I would say Ryse (Since I am on my 3rd go at different levels) has had the most replay value from me in a long time and alot of people think it is a waste of time even for 1 play-through).

It's more about the individual than the game IMO.
---
I will try and see it from your point of view, but I doubt we'll be able to fit both our heads up there.
#17pnut3844(Topic Creator)Posted 7/24/2014 11:36:10 AM
Estocassassin posted...
X_F_L_A_W_X posted...
"slyman19 posted...
pnut3844 posted...
slyman19 posted...

But skyrim or fallout has a different experience every time so that means they have no replay value?

It doesn't have a different experience. It's the same story. Sure you can do side quests in a different order but it's the same storyline. Just like most campaigns.
#18Sniper_BrosefPosted 7/24/2014 11:37:16 AM
Both opinions have faults, in my opinion. Replay value is being misunderstood in this topic... Replay value is just that, how much value there is to play the game over and over. However, that sentiment doesn't solely apply to single player... It applies to both equally. That being said, RPGs are definitely never as linear as an FPS game.

This thought from the OP sums up the misconception rather well:

pnut3844 posted...
bc in MP you don't replay anything, not even the last match you played.

You absolutely do replay things in MP. You replay the same game modes... If you want to ignorantly nit pick you even replay the same enemies in grudge matches all the time on the same game mode.
---
We're representatives from your nation's government.
Detroit Sports Rule!!! - Millen is gone forever!!!!!!!!!!
#19lindaluvPosted 7/24/2014 11:45:41 AM
There is a difference between being able to "replay" a game.. and just continuing to "play" a game. Replayability usually means "replaying" the same content again.
---
MolaMadara : Punkin (200 - Strider) - http://i.imgur.com/peZhp.jpg
MulaMadara : Deneb (25 - Sorc)
#20slyman19Posted 7/24/2014 11:46:36 AM
X_F_L_A_W_X posted...
"slyman19 posted...
pnut3844 posted...
slyman19 posted...

Replay value means that the game has content that'll encourage you to put the disc back in your console after you're done with the main story. Replay value encompasses stuff that you might have not already done during the main campaign.

For example, In Crash Warped, there was time trials for each level after you beat it. The trials aren't required to beat the main story, they're just an extra so that you'll play the game longer.