Help me settle a debate

#31pnut3844(Topic Creator)Posted 7/24/2014 12:18:07 PM
Rybal posted...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replay_value

That article says zero about MP. It's all about SP.
#32KipbondurPosted 7/24/2014 12:21:39 PM
pnut3844 posted...
Rybal posted...

Guess you didn't read the section named Online Gaming.

In massively multiplayer online games and other types of online game, the other human-controlled players give the game play a greater variety than permitted by the AI of computer-controlled bots, as well as allowing chatting and other interaction between players, thus increasing the length of time the player will spend on the game.

---
GT: Kip Bondur
#33pnut3844(Topic Creator)Posted 7/24/2014 12:27:28 PM
Kipbondur posted...
pnut3844 posted...
Rybal posted...

In massively multiplayer online games and other types of online game, the other human-controlled players give the game play a greater variety than permitted by the AI of computer-controlled bots, as well as allowing chatting and other interaction between players, thus increasing the length of time the player will spend on the game.

Speaks about mmos which is rpgs which is exactly my point. It says nothing about online deathmatch for fps
#34KipbondurPosted 7/24/2014 12:34:42 PM
pnut3844 posted...
Kipbondur posted...
pnut3844 posted...
Rybal posted...

Speaks about mmos which is rpgs which is exactly my point. It says nothing about online deathmatch for fps

Read.

What is written there also applies to FPS multiplayer and pretty much everything else. Take the time to read/listen to what people have to say.
---
#35pnut3844(Topic Creator)Posted 7/24/2014 12:39:41 PM
I did read. It says it gives more variety and lengthens the gameplay. I agree. It says nothing about replay. And as others have pointed out wiki is not a reliable source, hence colleges not letting you use it as a source.
#36KipbondurPosted 7/24/2014 12:48:47 PM
pnut3844 posted...
I did read. It says it gives more variety and lengthens the gameplay. I agree. It says nothing about replay. And as others have pointed out wiki is not a reliable source, hence colleges not letting you use it as a source.

Yes, I am aware of that, but you're not going to find a "reliable" source detailing a term like replay value in video games. I believe that you can replay MP. Sure, you're playing with different people, but even in single player you rarely/never have an exact carbon copy experience.

For instance, if you sequence break Super Metroid in playthrough, does that not count since the game was different this time around? What of random encounters in fallout and TES?

For you, where exactly is the line that separates replay from non-replay?
---
#37OkayPlayer1Posted 7/24/2014 12:53:14 PM
This is literally the weirdest argument I've seen in a while.

You claim that RPG's have more replayability because you can "replay" the storyline again as a different character "replaying" what you've already played.

You claim that FPS's can't count MP as replayability as "you don't replay you continue to play", even though you're continuing to play the same maps over and over again, which is by definition "replaying".

LOL, you're twisting semantics around to suit your argument when both types can offer great replay value depending on your preferences as a gamer.
#38OkayPlayer1Posted 7/24/2014 12:55:05 PM
Let's ask this then, do achievements/trophies add replay value to a game? Be it an RPG, FPS, single or MP game etc. cause they generally require people to replay certain sections or whole parts of a game, or replay MP maps/modes over and over again to unlock.
#39RybalPosted 7/24/2014 12:55:59 PM
pnut3844 posted...

Then show us a reliable source. The fact is that you are asking for people's opinions as to what is considered replayability, which is a subjective concept. A crowdsourced article (which is what wiki is) is a far more accurate depiction of what is or is not considered replay value.

What has replay value for one person may not have the same level of replay value for another, which is EXACTLY what it is in your case.

At the end of the day, replay, by its very definition, is playing again. It does NOT necessarily mean that everything is exactly the same. You can play Dragon Age with different characters and tackle the main mission in multiple orders. By your definition, that is not replaying the game, because you aren't doing it the same.

If the wiki isn't enough, then let's look at the definition of "replay": https://www.google.com/search?q=replay+definition

Expand that box and look at the second definition:
repeat (something, especially an event or sequence of events).
"she replayed in her mind every detail of the night before"

play (a match) again to decide a winner after the original encounter ended in a draw or contentious result.

That seems to line up pretty much perfectly with your friend's definition of what makes something replayable.
---
I HATE seeing incorrect information, regardless of whether it is my preferred system.
PSN: Rybal_81
#40Run_2_the_HillsPosted 7/24/2014 1:07:30 PM
OkayPlayer1 posted...
This is literally the weirdest argument I've seen in a while.

You claim that RPG's have more replayability because you can "replay" the storyline again as a different character "replaying" what you've already played.

You claim that FPS's can't count MP as replayability as "you don't replay you continue to play", even though you're continuing to play the same maps over and over again, which is by definition "replaying".

LOL, you're twisting semantics around to suit your argument when both types can offer great replay value depending on your preferences as a gamer.

exactly. his buddy can say that in an rpg the rng doesnt always roll the same numbers so you're not technically replaying the same stuff. the boss didn't roll the same attack so you're not replaying the same boss. etc.