Help me settle a debate

#41iamdanthamanPosted 7/24/2014 12:11:09 PM
pnut3844 posted...
I did read. It says it gives more variety and lengthens the gameplay. I agree. It says nothing about replay. And as others have pointed out wiki is not a reliable source, hence colleges not letting you use it as a source.

My college fluid dynamics textbook used wikipedia as a source.
---
All your base are belong to us
#42Kerr-AvonPosted 7/24/2014 12:12:42 PM
pnut3844 posted...
Ok so me and my friend were discussing gaming. He's a fps fan (as am I) but I love a great rpg the best. Elder scrolls, fallout, boarderlands, you get the point. Anyhow, he was saying there is no replay value in rpg bc the story is the same if you're a mage or warrior. He said he hasn't had a game with the amount of high replay value since halo 3. I said dude that story is way more linear than rpgs. Anyhow, my point is I tried to tell him replay value doesn't apply to MP, just main story/campaign. You can't replay MP, you just continue to play. He maintains it does apply. What are your thoughts? I've always used the term for campaigns, bc in MP you don't replay anything, not even the last match you played.

I was with you until you called Borderlands an rpg. Sorry, but its not.
#43blunderminePosted 7/24/2014 12:24:04 PM
To say multiplayer counts as replay but not playing a game as a different class doesn't make sense. They're getting the exact same thing out of the game - a different gameplay experience with no additional story.
#44slyman19Posted 7/24/2014 12:28:08 PM
Kerr-Avon posted...
pnut3844 posted...
Ok so me and my friend were discussing gaming. He's a fps fan (as am I) but I love a great rpg the best. Elder scrolls, fallout, boarderlands, you get the point. Anyhow, he was saying there is no replay value in rpg bc the story is the same if you're a mage or warrior. He said he hasn't had a game with the amount of high replay value since halo 3. I said dude that story is way more linear than rpgs. Anyhow, my point is I tried to tell him replay value doesn't apply to MP, just main story/campaign. You can't replay MP, you just continue to play. He maintains it does apply. What are your thoughts? I've always used the term for campaigns, bc in MP you don't replay anything, not even the last match you played.

Sure it is.
#45pnut3844(Topic Creator)Posted 7/24/2014 12:38:38 PM
Kipbondur posted...
pnut3844 posted...
I did read. It says it gives more variety and lengthens the gameplay. I agree. It says nothing about replay. And as others have pointed out wiki is not a reliable source, hence colleges not letting you use it as a source.

Yes, I am aware of that, but you're not going to find a "reliable" source detailing a term like replay value in video games. I believe that you can replay MP. Sure, you're playing with different people, but even in single player you rarely/never have an exact carbon copy experience.

For instance, if you sequence break Super Metroid in playthrough, does that not count since the game was different this time around? What of random encounters in fallout and TES?

For you, where exactly is the line that separates replay from non-replay?

As I said, replay to me is something that you can play through again after you beat. Campaign or spec ops or things of that nature. It must have a definitive end to be able to replay it. MP never ends.
#46pnut3844(Topic Creator)Posted 7/24/2014 12:40:19 PM
Kerr-Avon posted...
pnut3844 posted...

Uh yea, boarderlands is very much a rpg. Fps rpg
#47RybalPosted 7/24/2014 12:41:28 PM
pnut3844 posted...

As I said, replay to me is something that you can play through again after you beat. Campaign or spec ops or things of that nature. It must have a definitive end to be able to replay it. MP never ends.

So - you only play multiplayer once?

If not, then you re-play it, because you are playing it again. Each multiplayer match has a definitive end.
---
I HATE seeing incorrect information, regardless of whether it is my preferred system.
PSN: Rybal_81
#48pnut3844(Topic Creator)Posted 7/24/2014 1:13:30 PM
Rybal posted...
pnut3844 posted...

So - you only play multiplayer once?

If not, then you re-play it, because you are playing it again. Each multiplayer match has a definitive end.

No multiplayer (the game type itself not a match) never ends. Sure you can start new matches but there is no definitive end to it, you never beat it like a campaign. So you can't replay MP. You can start new matches though. But there are some interesting comments, I was just curious to see everyone else's opinions.
#49scoobydoobydontPosted 7/24/2014 1:21:53 PM
pnut3844 posted...

It's no more an RPG than Bioshock or Diablo or Zelda.
---
"Why do you expect me to be rational? I'm a troll..." -Izraeil (aka Altair001)
http://i.imgur.com/8LUhEFG.jpg
#50pnut3844(Topic Creator)Posted 7/24/2014 1:29:42 PM
scoobydoobydont posted...
pnut3844 posted...

It's no more an RPG than Bioshock or Diablo or Zelda.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borderlands_(video_game)
It's an rpg, it's widely accepted as such. All the elements are there.