So FPS is the best genre. but why?

#21GladiatorDangerPosted 7/24/2014 7:44:00 PM
FPS is the best genre cause it was invented by the founding fathers of Murica!

pnut3844 posted...
"Best genre" is merely ones perception, therefore it's a fluid term.

Git out of here scrub, we don't take kindly to pamby nancy hippies round these parts.
#22mokmuudPosted 7/24/2014 7:49:05 PM
It's my least favorite genre.
---
PSN: Mokmuud XBL: Fumokmuud NNID: Mokmuud 3DS FC: 3222-6547-9539
#23SS_MetalSonicPosted 7/24/2014 7:50:11 PM
Immersion.
---
http://shonmac.deviantart.com/ [ PSWiiPCBOX ] Currently playing - Sonic Generations, Dust: An Elysian Tail, Strider, WATCH_DOGS, Forza 5, Titanfall
#24leon_trunksPosted 7/24/2014 8:13:39 PM
Mainly because there is a major boom in the 'dudebro' population and testosterone on the xbox.
#25zerooo0Posted 7/24/2014 8:16:38 PM
Immersion

I also think their hasn't been a genre as innovative or mainstream as FPS gaming. The only thing that came close was 2D Platforming and even then it isn't as say mainstream as the FPS genre is.
---
Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.--General Patton
#26InfinityOver0Posted 7/24/2014 8:41:22 PM
you lost me at your premise
---
Hoping for a Cosmos season 2
#27mokmuudPosted 7/24/2014 9:00:52 PM
zerooo0 posted...
Immersion

I also think their hasn't been a genre as innovative or mainstream as FPS gaming. The only thing that came close was 2D Platforming and even then it isn't as say mainstream as the FPS genre is.

I don't know about innovation. The mechanics and gameplay haven't really changed since the 70s. Sure they've been fine tuned and polished.
---
PSN: Mokmuud XBL: Fumokmuud NNID: Mokmuud 3DS FC: 3222-6547-9539
#28TheGam3925Posted 7/24/2014 9:14:19 PM
It's not that it's the best genre, there's just a large group of people out there that need to start up a game and begin shooting at things within 30 seconds otherwise they get bored.
---
People on my ignore list - 0
Because I'm not a cry baby.
#29boolzeroPosted 7/24/2014 9:26:07 PM
I think an option is missing from there. There should be an option for "most flexible when crossing genres". Honestly, if first person shooters stayed and never evolved from anything more than the routine Wolfenstein/Doom/Quake days then the genre wouldn't still be here. I think the fact that the genre can be built on and is pliable is why it stands out and lasts. The only one that seems to top it is third person action adventure games (which have their fair share of shooting)! I think people give the FPS genre a bad name as to saturating the market when there are far more third person shooters passed off as action/adventure games.
---
Death is a dish best served with gravy...
#30zerooo0Posted 7/24/2014 9:29:00 PM
mokmuud posted...
zerooo0 posted...
Immersion

I don't know about innovation. The mechanics and gameplay haven't really changed since the 70s. Sure they've been fine tuned and polished.

Since the 70's really? Please no just no. Wrong. By that logic I could say the same about 2d Platformers how they just upgraded from 2D to 3D. All fine tune and polish.
---
Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.--General Patton