So FPS is the best genre. but why?

#31uniquebadgerPosted 7/24/2014 9:33:27 PM
It's not?
#32boolzeroPosted 7/24/2014 9:35:55 PM
mokmuud posted...
zerooo0 posted...
Immersion

I also think their hasn't been a genre as innovative or mainstream as FPS gaming. The only thing that came close was 2D Platforming and even then it isn't as say mainstream as the FPS genre is.

I don't know about innovation. The mechanics and gameplay haven't really changed since the 70s. Sure they've been fine tuned and polished.

Come now, if we are going to play the "playing coyly obtuse" position, then we can say the same thing for every genre if that were the case. Let's not delve I to generalities and blanket defenses to try to diminish a position. We've had everything from cross genre FPS covering almost every sub genre on consoles and PC. By comparison, I could argue that the last great innovation that revolutionized the platformer was 3D graphics and world editors... In fact it bugs me that other genres don't blend more, like platformers. Now that would be equally wrong for me to position an argument angled on either, because we all know there are platformers that have done more to evolve the genre.

The only real debate here is which has evolved and blended more, and I'd side with the first person shooter in this argument...
---
Death is a dish best served with gravy...
#33zerooo0Posted 7/24/2014 9:39:13 PM
boolzero posted...
mokmuud posted...
zerooo0 posted...
Immersion

I also think their hasn't been a genre as innovative or mainstream as FPS gaming. The only thing that came close was 2D Platforming and even then it isn't as say mainstream as the FPS genre is.

I don't know about innovation. The mechanics and gameplay haven't really changed since the 70s. Sure they've been fine tuned and polished.

Come now, if we are going to play the "playing coyly obtuse" position, then we can say the same thing for every genre if that were the case. Let's not delve I to generalities and blanket defenses to try to diminish a position. We've had everything from cross genre FPS covering almost every sub genre on consoles and PC. By comparison, I could argue that the last great innovation that revolutionized the platformer was 3D graphics and world editors... In fact it bugs me that other genres don't blend more, like platformers. Now that would be equally wrong for me to position an argument angled on either, because we all know there are platformers that have done more to evolve the genre.

The only real debate here is which has evolved and blended more, and I'd side with the first person shooter in this argument...

Agreed. It's really laughable that he would try to play that card. That is not how you get a point across hahaha. Probably one of the worst ways I've seen someone try to defend their view.
---
Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.--General Patton