500gb hard drive? what a joke

#11Millertime660Posted 7/24/2014 10:38:29 PM
razaky posted...
Semp1 posted...
who cares external 1TB hard drives are cheap and xbox one is compatible with them. If they included 2TB the system would have been at least another $!-$200 more.

can you install full games to hard external hdd? can you put anything on the external drive or is it limited to certain things

Yes, all of my Xbox digital content is on an external drive.
#12BlazinSiRPosted 7/25/2014 3:01:03 AM
Can you run games off of the external drive, or do you have to move it to the internal drive?
---
Z68 UD3 | i5 2500K | 8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz | GTX 460 SC SLI | 120GB SSD |1 TB HDD | Windows 7 64 bit | Cooler Master M850 | Cooler Master 922
#13kennyynnooPosted 7/25/2014 3:34:05 AM
BlazinSiR posted...
Can you run games off of the external drive, or do you have to move it to the internal drive?

It runs games, they load faster if you get a 7200rpm model. I grabbed a WD 1tb from best buy for $50 2 weeks ago.
---
Xbox one, PS3, Wii
Play for the games not the evil corporation, they're all evil in the end.
#14schmarkenheimerPosted 7/25/2014 4:23:12 AM
It actually starts off at 465GB. HDD manufacturers measure drives in 1000bytes/kb, 1000kb/mb and so on, not 1024. Then you have all the software and the like but ye sI'd agree that's pretty damn heavy out of the box. I know there's a lot but damn wonder why it takes up so much space. Windows 7 is around 35-40GB, not ~80GB in your example. Reserved space for future features perhaps?
---
Post of the ****ing year. - crimsyn_76 Best. Example. Ever. - Veliconis
Epic. - Xade76 Want to run that by us in English instead of Derp, champ? - pies12
#15billsfanno1Posted 7/25/2014 6:33:22 AM
What irks me the most about this is that for all the space taken up by the OS, I still need to reboot the console regularly and do a hard reset weekly to keep everything working properly. As much as I love the media integration, it's a pain when I want to watch TV and have to go through a reset to do so. Even worse when I'm traveling and it happens to my kids. Not sure how much longer the family is going to put up with it, would hate to have to unplug the cable box since it is so convenient when it's working.
#16Crystyn_7BPosted 7/25/2014 6:37:01 AM
billsfanno1 posted...
What irks me the most about this is that for all the space taken up by the OS, I still need to reboot the console regularly and do a hard reset weekly to keep everything working properly. As much as I love the media integration, it's a pain when I want to watch TV and have to go through a reset to do so. Even worse when I'm traveling and it happens to my kids. Not sure how much longer the family is going to put up with it, would hate to have to unplug the cable box since it is so convenient when it's working.

Send it in for a replacement, I had to a reset twice on my day one XBO.

@TC as others said a certain amount is reserved for the OS. In the XBO's case it is also reserved for making videos and updates.
#17billsfanno1Posted 7/25/2014 6:44:25 AM
Crystyn_7B posted...
billsfanno1 posted...

@TC as others said a certain amount is reserved for the OS. In the XBO's case it is also reserved for making videos and updates.

Thanks for the reply. I've seen many others with the same complaint. Doesn't seem to be hardware, the symptoms vary between TV, web (inability to show pinned items), Music app, etc. which is why I suspect instability with the OS. Do you keep your X1 on standby mode at all times and never have to reboot or hard reset it?
#18Crystyn_7BPosted 7/25/2014 6:45:53 AM
billsfanno1 posted...
Crystyn_7B posted...
billsfanno1 posted...

Thanks for the reply. I've seen many others with the same complaint. Doesn't seem to be hardware, the symptoms vary between TV, web (inability to show pinned items), Music app, etc. which is why I suspect instability with the OS. Do you keep your X1 on standby mode at all times and never have to reboot or hard reset it?

Instant-on, I accidentally pulled the cord once or twice when setting up the new AVR though.
#19hastergPosted 7/25/2014 6:47:14 AM
Semp1 posted...
who cares external 1TB hard drives are cheap and xbox one is compatible with them. If they included 2TB the system would have been at least another $!-$200 more.

Yes, because external storage is cheap but internal storage would somehow cause a 50% price increase.......
#20Exodus_PrimePosted 7/25/2014 6:51:58 AM
razaky posted...
Jedi454 posted...
Lol, the drives are rounded off to 500GB and other things such as the OS reserves space on the drive. This applies for the 500GB PS4/ PS3 too and so on.

I understand that

my phone has 32gb and available is 24gb

losing 8gb is understandable

but losing 140gb right from the beginning? that's insane

Understands the memory shortage, proceeds to compare a gaming console memory to a phone memory and still has a issue with the Xb1. I think I've see this played out before but I'm trying to remember where.

---
---
"Trolls are the dudebros of Gamefaqs. They just don't realize it." - curtland
Xbox One-PlayStation 4-Xbox 360-PS3-Vita