Best router for gaming?

#1theantikarmaPosted 7/26/2014 9:46:38 AM
I live in a home where three people use a console and computer each. What would be the best router that I could get for gaming for around $150?
---
Karma 3ds FC: 1779-1740-0378
POKEMON!!!!
#2SwiftXZPosted 7/26/2014 10:35:15 AM(edited)
Netgear AC1900 Smart Wifi Router, I got it for 150 but it's usually 200, it's a beast and you can set it up I prioritize your gaming as well as set dedicated download and upload speeds (QoS) which works great, (Granted you have the speed).
---
GT:SwiftXZ
#3falkedupPosted 7/26/2014 10:42:05 AM
I got a used Apple AirPort Extreme off of eBay for like 55 bucks. Highest wireless speeds I've ever gotten.
#4CapwnDPosted 7/26/2014 11:31:55 AM(edited)
The question should be "what router will support multiple consoles of the same type such as two ore more Xboxes (any combination of 360 or One) or two or more playstations"

Some routers will handle multiple consoles online at the same time better than others. Either it will handle it with no problems, with some issues (such as one of them being moderate or strict occasionally and problems with friends joining lobbies), or it may often drop the other console if somebody else takes their console online.

The other issue, besides which particular model router you're using, is that many ISPs are setting people up with gateways instead of modems. A gateway as a router usually is not as good as a stand alone router, and a gateway + router is a double NAT which causes these same problems.

So if you have Comcast or Time Warner Cable, I would suggest the Motorola SB6141 along with a good router that will support multiple consoles online at the same time. For around $200 the Asus RT-AC68U is great, but should be flashed with DDWRT if you're using multiple consoles of the same type. For a cheaper option, the Asus RT-N16 works well, and can also be flashed with DDWRT. I don't remember if the RT-N16 worked with multiple consoles without flashing firmware.

Personally I would stay away from Netgear routers, the cheaper Netgear routers have issues with the way the UPNP tables forward ports, and they suck for multiple consoles or if you're trying to manually forward ports (which you shouldn't have to do, and especially shouldn't do if you have multiple consoles trying to use the same ports)

Sorry I can't offer more suggestions for routers in that price range, the other suggestions I have are older routers that would be bad choices these days. If you're not going to flash the router with DDWRT, then I would suggest a good Dlnk router. I've always had the best luck with Dlink routers for multiple consoles.

Here's more information on this

http://s1.zetaboards.com/FewGoodMen/topic/4258282/1/#new

Somebody there said that his Netgear WNR2000 works with multiple xboxes. I listed a few DLinks that worked well.
---
Death to the New Flesh, long live Videodrome!
#5uniquebadgerPosted 7/26/2014 11:33:38 AM
Make sure your router is compatible with your Internet Provider. For charter only your ISP can send your router Firmware updates, so you can't do it yourself. I have a motorolla router that i spent $200 on a while back and i can't update the firmware since i'm Charter.
#6CapwnDPosted 7/26/2014 11:42:24 AM(edited)
uniquebadger posted...
Make sure your router is compatible with your Internet Provider. For charter only your ISP can send your router Firmware updates, so you can't do it yourself. I have a motorolla router that i spent $200 on a while back and i can't update the firmware since i'm Charter.

That sounds like you're talking about a modem or gateway. Your ISP cannot access your router at all, unless you're talking about a gateway.
---
#7SteelToothPosted 7/26/2014 11:42:23 AM
Asus RT-AC66U
---
TWSSted Steel Disagree with me? Talk to the Tree:
http://i.imgur.com/ihMBR.jpg
#8CapwnDPosted 7/26/2014 11:48:33 AM(edited)
SteelTooth posted...
Asus RT-AC66U

But for like $20 more you can get the RT-68U!
EDIT: the price isn't as close as it used to be. RT-AC66U is about $150 and RT-AC68U is about $218 at amazon

Actually that is a good suggestion. I did use the RT-AC66u and it did work fine with multiple xboxes online at the same time, and that was without flashing the firmware.

So I would suggest Asus RT-AC66U with stock firmware if you don't want to flash it, or Asus RT-AC68U with DDWRT.
---
#9xtacbPosted 7/26/2014 11:45:32 AM
ASUS and Apple have the best top routers but can be expensive
---
Do you really wanna live in a world without Coca-Cola?
#10theantikarma(Topic Creator)Posted 7/26/2014 1:02:23 PM
SwiftXZ posted...
Netgear AC1900 Smart Wifi Router, I got it for 150 but it's usually 200, it's a beast and you can set it up I prioritize your gaming as well as set dedicated download and upload speeds (QoS) which works great, (Granted you have the speed).

I was actually looking at that one online. I bought a Netgear AC1900 Amart Wifi Router (Nighthawk). If it doesnt work out than I will be getting that one.
---
Karma 3ds FC: 1779-1740-0378
POKEMON!!!!