I've never played any Halo. How is it different than any other shooter?

#1lakersoffseasonPosted 7/27/2014 9:24:31 AM
I've never had an Xbox. Always been with PlayStation. I just wanna know why everyone's so excited about the Collection. I mean, I've seen game play and all of that kind of stuff, but these are old games, why the hype? It kinda just looks like a mix of a regular shooter and a super jump mod. I'm not trying to troll in any sense but I just want some light shed on why people think it's so good.
---
"Lakers are horrible." Just remember: lottery pick and a crap ton of cap space. Those are our saviors.
#2TwinmoldPosted 7/27/2014 9:27:25 AM
Halo is good. That's all you're getting.
---
http://www.youtube.com/user/TheCptDecaf
#3ArsicPosted 7/27/2014 9:28:57 AM
It's not much different. Someone can probably list all of the reasons but I'm not going to do that. This is a series that stood out well from the rest, and I would say it's worth the play if you can bear it. Decide for yourself, though it certainly is not a waste of time.
---
hi
#4hsu_reddie09Posted 7/27/2014 9:32:24 AM
Halo is the OG of shooters. Nothing tops it and never will.
#5ZatchBellPosted 7/27/2014 9:34:26 AM
Halo sets the bar for fps just like street fighter for years set the bar for fighting games.
---
Sega Fan for Life
#6ILikesCheesePosted 7/27/2014 9:39:50 AM
How is "Halo" any different from the other shooters?

It isn't.

At least, not NOW. Back in 2001 when most of you were probably in pre-school it was a different story. :)
---
If you're omnipotent and all-powerful...why would you need to REST? On the 7th or ANY day?
#7Cows Go HisssssPosted 7/27/2014 10:24:21 AM(edited)
Back in 2001, Halo 1 was the best console shooter ever. Back in 2004, Halo 2 was the best online console shooter ever. Back in 2007, Halo 3 was the best online console first person shooter ever and it started to finally get some shooter competition with Gears of War and Call of Duty 4 finally being released in 2006 and 2007. By the time Halo 4 was released in 2012, five Call of Duties have been released between Halo 3 and Halo 4 with one more releasing a week after Halo 4 (six Call of Duties!!), Gears of War 3 has been released, and shooter games literally flooded the market since Halo 3's release in 2007, such as Mass Effect 3, Left 4 Dead 2, Fallout, Far Cry, BioShock, Portal 2, Battlefield 3, Resistance, Killzone, Crysis 2, FEAR, etc etc etc etc.

Halo is one of the main reasons that console shooters became such a huge part of console gaming since 2005. From 2001 until around 2008, every good shooter game was hyped as the "Halo Killer" as that game might be able to knock Halo off its shooter throne. None of them ever really did until around 2008-2009 when the shooter market was starting to get flooded. When 2010, 2011, and 2012 came along, it was almost as if every popular game was a shooter game....

In 2012 when Halo 4 was released, it was a really excellent game but shooter competition was really stiff in 2012 hence why people didn't like it as much as the others. There is just WAY too many shooters to choose from nowadays.

What makes Halo different was that it was one of the first and the best of its kind back in the time of its release. Like GoldenEye 64, Halo 1 was regarded as an extremely fun must play must own first person shooter game back in 2001, which is 13 years ago. Halo 2 was the same must play must own game in 2004, 10 years ago. Halo 3 as well in 2007, 7 years ago. If you could rewind yourself back 7, 10, or 13 years ago so you could play all the Halos with the mindset you had back then, and before the shooter market was flooded, then you would understand the greatness that came to be. If these games were never released back then and were released literally today, they would all be $15 Xbox Live Arcade titles.
---
hey foo
hey foo
#8_Doomguy_Posted 7/27/2014 10:26:09 AM
hsu_reddie09 posted...
Halo is the OG of shooters. Nothing tops it and never will.

That's a funny way to spell DOOM
:P
---
Rip and tear! Rip and tear your guts! You are huge! That means you have huge guts! Rip and tear!
#9pnut3844Posted 7/27/2014 11:55:37 AM
Cows Go Hisssss posted...
Back in 2001, Halo 1 was the best console shooter ever. Back in 2004, Halo 2 was the best online console shooter ever. Back in 2007, Halo 3 was the best online console first person shooter ever and it started to finally get some shooter competition with Gears of War and Call of Duty 4 finally being released in 2006 and 2007. By the time Halo 4 was released in 2012, five Call of Duties have been released between Halo 3 and Halo 4 with one more releasing a week after Halo 4 (six Call of Duties!!), Gears of War 3 has been released, and shooter games literally flooded the market since Halo 3's release in 2007, such as Mass Effect 3, Left 4 Dead 2, Fallout, Far Cry, BioShock, Portal 2, Battlefield 3, Resistance, Killzone, Crysis 2, FEAR, etc etc etc etc.

Halo is one of the main reasons that console shooters became such a huge part of console gaming since 2005. From 2001 until around 2008, every good shooter game was hyped as the "Halo Killer" as that game might be able to knock Halo off its shooter throne. None of them ever really did until around 2008-2009 when the shooter market was starting to get flooded. When 2010, 2011, and 2012 came along, it was almost as if every popular game was a shooter game....

In 2012 when Halo 4 was released, it was a really excellent game but shooter competition was really stiff in 2012 hence why people didn't like it as much as the others. There is just WAY too many shooters to choose from nowadays.

What makes Halo different was that it was one of the first and the best of its kind back in the time of its release. Like GoldenEye 64, Halo 1 was regarded as an extremely fun must play must own first person shooter game back in 2001, which is 13 years ago. Halo 2 was the same must play must own game in 2004, 10 years ago. Halo 3 as well in 2007, 7 years ago. If you could rewind yourself back 7, 10, or 13 years ago so you could play all the Halos with the mindset you had back then, and before the shooter market was flooded, then you would understand the greatness that came to be. If these games were never released back then and were released literally today, they would all be $15 Xbox Live Arcade titles.

What he said.
#10Cosmic_DiabeticPosted 7/27/2014 11:58:17 AM
play the original trilogy. Story is decent. Halo1-3 are worth it for the story alone
---
Others find humanity by looking in their own hearts. Only lost souls need to search for it outside themselves."