Another world is the spiritual father of dark souls

#11slippertails(Topic Creator)Posted 7/29/2014 4:17:32 PM
LEGEND_725 posted...
Nah. Another world is the definition of trial and error gameplay. You have almost no chance of knowing how to do something your first playthrough until multiple deaths.

Your describing dark souls perfectly you realize that right?
---
gt : slippertails
psn: slippertails
#12lostkiwiPosted 7/29/2014 4:22:37 PM
slippertails posted...
LEGEND_725 posted...
Nah. Another world is the definition of trial and error gameplay. You have almost no chance of knowing how to do something your first playthrough until multiple deaths.

To a degree, but less so in Dark Souls 2 (which coincidentally I platinumed last night). Dark Souls 2 you can quite feasibly complete without too many deaths aside from getting caught out with learning the bosses. It has a lot less of the 'holy crap, where did that come from' insta deaths like its predecessors. The 'learning from your mistakes' element is less so than previous entries.
---
Find out about PC vs PS4 vs Xbox One vs Wii U games here:
http://rustygamer.wordpress.com/
#13Goregasm17Posted 7/29/2014 4:29:44 PM
mewmew42 posted...
Zelda ocarina of time is the spiritual grandfather of soul series

I'm surprised people still play the Zelda games, once they were 3D, they got worse and worse.
#14LEGEND_725Posted 7/29/2014 4:34:44 PM
lostkiwi posted...
slippertails posted...
LEGEND_725 posted...

To a degree, but less so in Dark Souls 2 (which coincidentally I platinumed last night). Dark Souls 2 you can quite feasibly complete without too many deaths aside from getting caught out with learning the bosses. It has a lot less of the 'holy crap, where did that come from' insta deaths like its predecessors. The 'learning from your mistakes' element is less so than previous entries.

This. I've had this debate 100 times but dark souls is NOT trial and error gameplay. Another world is.
---
Lift. Game. Academics. Party. = LIFE. Best mod dispute ever? http://i.imgur.com/db7oluz.jpg. Official dudebro of any forum... I lift more than you
#15DreadmasterXDPosted 7/29/2014 5:57:59 PM
Goregasm17 posted...
mewmew42 posted...
Zelda ocarina of time is the spiritual grandfather of soul series

I'm surprised people still play the Zelda games, once they were 3D, they got worse and worse.

I agree and disagree with this. I thought Wind Waker was better than OoT. Twilight Princess was good (not as much as WW) and I didn't care for Skyward Sword tbh.
---
PSN: PhD_Chemikill || XBL: PhD Chemikill
Official Manus Catalyst of the Dark Souls Board
#16SlimeSwayzePosted 7/29/2014 6:59:19 PM(edited)
I don't think the games are anything alike. The old 2D Castlevania games are much more similar to the Souls series than Out of this World. Not to mention the fact that the King's Field series is the true predecessor to Souls.

Honestly, it's a pretty bizarre connection to make. Out of this World/Another World is a cinematic 2D platformer with very little emphasis on actual combat and a big emphasis on direct storytelling and trial-and-error gameplay. It could hardly be more different than Souls, which is a combat-heavy 3D action-RPG with subtle, player-driven storytelling, and practically no trial and error.
---
Currently Playing: Dark Souls 2, Destiny, and Guacamelee
#17HoIySilvergunPosted 7/30/2014 2:11:12 AM
MicrosoftLover posted...
slippertails posted...
Playing this game recently made me realize how much it's like dark souls in particular. The brutal punishing nature , the non hand holding way they dont explain any of the mechanics of the game to you, the dying over and over, the learning and ultimately mastering through repetition, the precise nature of many challenges, the maze like connected nature of the entire map/game world where you have multiple directional options and never really know which way to go, and the overall silent mysterious vibe of both games. While dark souls is def a throwback to the brutal nature of older games Another world in particular strikes me as being intrinsically tied to dark souls in a very strange way. Anyone else get this feeling?

I agree, Sunset Overdrive will destroy Sony's lead.

As do I. Just as Microsoft's launch window, Titanfall, and the Kinect-less SKU destroyed Sony's lead.

Wait...
---
"I don't know who to worry for most." lol. I do. Poster #13. http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/69735474