Tired of Halo being disrespected by being put in the same sentence as TLOU

#121scoobydoobydontPosted 8/1/2014 1:34:51 PM
TLOU is exhibit A in the "games can be art" discussion. Halo is exhibit A in "overmilking franchises destroys them" discussion. Halo deserves all the "disrespect" it gets and more. It was never even at its best (Reach) better than okay. And Master Chief is the dullest character in the history of videogames. ****ing Pac Man or any generic LEGO character has more personality than that guy.
---
http://i.imgur.com/GJYBL1e.jpg
^ NeoGAF mod and Microsoft "shill" perma-banner bishoptl, wearing a spiffing new hat from his sponsors at Sony
#122Halo3GAMEFREAKPosted 8/1/2014 1:38:26 PM
sandersjr_basic posted...
Master Chief hardly says anything and doesn't show emotion and he is still the most iconic FPS protagonist!

He's like Ray Donovan, but from the future!
---
(My reaction to stolen kills) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkktKSjCHgo
#123pnut3844Posted 8/1/2014 2:10:57 PM
BDJayce posted...
If they made a Halo RPG that didn't involve the Master Chef and his scantily clad virtual eye candy then maybe i'd appreciate Halo a bit more.

As it stands the story is more cliche than TLOU will ever be, Master Chief is a boring character once you get past the 'WOW! he's strong.. and his armor is shiny.'

He's 'lucky' and has managed to single handedly end wars that took the lives of nearly every other Spartan.

I don't 'hate' Halo.. I just don't think it deserves the amount of praise it gets and if it wasn't for the "omg! MLG! Multiplayer! Rah!" aspect half the 'fanboys' wouldn't give two craps about it.

Edit: I own every Halo with the exception of the 'remastered' version.. I even have Halo Wars. I like the games but I don't think they deserve the amount of praise heaped upon it. The multiplayer was 'fun' at one point but seems to be slowly delving into the realm of every other FPS game losing what makes it unique.

TLOU is a new game, a single game so maybe it shouldn't be compared to Halo but to feel disrespected? That's a new brand of fanboyism.

Edit 2: If anything the two games are different genres that they shouldn't be compared at all. Maybe if it was TLOU against Gears of War that might make a bit more sense.

Master chief is a badass. He doesn't talk much bc he doesn't need to. He's like the terminator. He didn't say sh*t the entire first movie and barely any the second and people loved it. It's not luck it's skill. If you knew the story and lore, you'd realize that spartans are already badass as is, and John is different.
#1243HPPosted 8/1/2014 2:12:56 PM
scoobydoobydont posted...
TLOU is exhibit A in the "games can be art" discussion. Halo is exhibit A in "overmilking franchises destroys them" discussion. Halo deserves all the "disrespect" it gets and more. It was never even at its best (Reach) better than okay. And Master Chief is the dullest character in the history of videogames. ****ing Pac Man or any generic LEGO character has more personality than that guy.

Actually SoTC is, and has been exhibit A since people started having that conversation.
#125BDJaycePosted 8/1/2014 2:14:10 PM
pnut3844 posted...
Master chief is a badass. He doesn't talk much bc he doesn't need to. He's like the terminator. He didn't say sh*t the entire first movie and barely any the second and people loved it. It's not luck it's skill. If you knew the story and lore, you'd realize that spartans are already badass as is, and John is different.

I know the story. Cortana chose Master Chief because he was 'lucky'. It's mentioned so many times in the game and other media that it became a boring factoid. He was an above average Spartan-II but what separated him from the other Spartan-II's was his luck.
---
9-14-1959 - 5-4-2014. Goodbye Momma, I love you. Rest well.
GT: JamesBolton0723
#126pnut3844Posted 8/1/2014 2:20:11 PM
BDJayce posted...
pnut3844 posted...

I know the story. Cortana chose Master Chief because he was 'lucky'. It's mentioned so many times in the game and other media that it became a boring factoid. He was an above average Spartan-II but what separated him from the other Spartan-II's was his luck.

Halo 4 specifically shows he is different and has always stood out from the pack. It's not "luck". If it was, he'd run around blindly doing wild things. You can see each time he does something epic, its carefully planned and calculated.
#127BDJaycePosted 8/1/2014 2:27:20 PM
pnut3844 posted...
BDJayce posted...
pnut3844 posted...

Halo 4 specifically shows he is different and has always stood out from the pack. It's not "luck". If it was, he'd run around blindly doing wild things. You can see each time he does something epic, its carefully planned and calculated.

I'm not sure if you're serious or baiting me but go back and play the games. Pay attention to the plot and don't just run around with your head up your butt and the game on mute.

He's not different but really with the exception of Jorge-II who only died because he sacrificed himself how many other Spartan-II's have we seen in in-game action. He's not stronger, faster, or even smarter than the average Spartan-II. He's a skilled soldier for sure but luck is a vital part of his continued survival.
---
#128pnut3844Posted 8/1/2014 2:30:35 PM
BDJayce posted...
pnut3844 posted...
BDJayce posted...
pnut3844 posted...

I'm not sure if you're serious or baiting me but go back and play the games. Pay attention to the plot and don't just run around with your head up your butt and the game on mute.

He's not different but really with the exception of Jorge-II who only died because he sacrificed himself how many other Spartan-II's have we seen in in-game action. He's not stronger, faster, or even smarter than the average Spartan-II. He's a skilled soldier for sure but luck is a vital part of his continued survival.

Whatever helps you sleep at night fanboy.
#129zephirrainesPosted 8/1/2014 2:33:41 PM
If ps4 is better because of sales then clearly Halo 4 is twice as good as TLOU.
#130BDJaycePosted 8/1/2014 2:35:07 PM
pnut3844 posted...
BDJayce posted...
pnut3844 posted...
BDJayce posted...
pnut3844 posted...

Whatever helps you sleep at night fanboy.

I couldn't care less one way or the other but if you're going to run around proclaiming things at least use facts to back it up and not just "Master Chief is special and badass!".
---