Why would other companies following EA access be a bad thing?

#11Sniper_BrosefPosted 7/30/2014 9:41:58 AM
redditon4chan posted...
I don't know

Clearly... Also, EA isn't doing this to get a certain amount of subs then pulling some devious 180 to screw everyone over. EA is doing this to cut into the used games market. Who's going to go buy Battlefield used for 30-40 bucks from Gamestop when you can just rent it for two months for just 10 bucks or for a year, both scenarios with 3 other games mind you, for just 29.99?

You're creating a massive slippery slope argument and your only basis is speculation surrounding Driveclub which you, admittedly know nothing about:

redditon4chan posted...
I don't know the the fate of that game was or whats going on with currently or if that is still how its being handled.

As to this:

redditon4chan posted...
Any person with any common sense can see how this can be maniuplated in a negative manner.

It's almost like you have no idea how economics works. If it's manipulated in a negative manner customers will lose interest and the product fails. Once again, you're misinterpreting EA's goal here and that is to tap into the used games market.
---
We're representatives from your nation's government.
Detroit Sports Rule!!! - Millen is gone forever!!!!!!!!!!
#12Sniper_BrosefPosted 7/30/2014 9:45:57 AM(edited)
redditon4chan posted...
People/companies will do what they think they can get away with.

I'm just going to ignore your other slippery slope argument because I addressed it above and I'll address this point again.

EA isn't going to push the envelope until people are fed up. That's suicide for this program of theirs and they very much want it to be successful as it effectively taps into the used games market.

**EDIT**

Essentially, you're being incredibly cynical here. I don't mean any offense with either post but this just screams cynicism, to me.
---
#13redditon4chanPosted 7/30/2014 9:47:57 AM
Sniper_Brosef posted...
redditon4chan posted...
I don't know

Clearly... Also, EA isn't doing this to get a certain amount of subs then pulling some devious 180 to screw everyone over. EA is doing this to cut into the used games market. Who's going to go buy Battlefield used for 30-40 bucks from Gamestop when you can just rent it for two months for just 10 bucks or for a year, both scenarios with 3 other games mind you, for just 29.99?

You're creating a massive slippery slope argument and your only basis is speculation surrounding Driveclub which you, admittedly know nothing about:

redditon4chan posted...
I don't know the the fate of that game was or whats going on with currently or if that is still how its being handled.

As to this:

redditon4chan posted...
Any person with any common sense can see how this can be maniuplated in a negative manner.

It's almost like you have no idea how economics works. If it's manipulated in a negative manner customers will lose interest and the product fails. Once again, you're misinterpreting EA's goal here and that is to tap into the used games market.

Driveclub was used as an example because it follows the idea of not getting what you're expecting. Its the most relatable item I could come up with where something was revealed in a manner that ending up changing. For the worse, arguably. I don't know anything about it because I don't care about racing games. The foundation is the same.

Okay, so I concede to your notion that they're tapping into used game market - I guess I still don't see how this is a "good" thing then. Isn't used games the lifeblood for the majority of console owners?
#14Sniper_BrosefPosted 7/30/2014 10:00:24 AM
redditon4chan posted...
Driveclub was used as an example because it follows the idea of not getting what you're expecting.

Fair enough. However, that one game doesn't signify a trend nor does it really support your argument. I agree that they will probably add some small content that unlocks for being an EA Access subsriber. That's a rather natural progression. I completely disagree with you on the premise that they'll abuse this service as much as they can. It would make no sense for them to do so.
---
#15redditon4chanPosted 7/30/2014 10:04:11 AM
Sniper_Brosef posted...
redditon4chan posted...
Driveclub was used as an example because it follows the idea of not getting what you're expecting.

Fair enough. However, that one game doesn't signify a trend nor does it really support your argument. I agree that they will probably add some small content that unlocks for being an EA Access subsriber. That's a rather natural progression. I completely disagree with you on the premise that they'll abuse this service as much as they can. It would make no sense for them to do so.

I hope you're right. Truly. No sarcasm.
#16regsantotomasPosted 7/30/2014 10:11:04 AM
I think that we have to remind ourselves that these type of solutions are organic and will bend relative to market demand. Certainly, if this model is successful; then other major publishers will likely follow.

I don't prescribe to the notion that we have to take fatalistic attitude to these type of solutions either. I think that the free market will accommodate or outright reject policies and solutions accordingly.
---
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything - Mark Twain
#17Sniper_BrosefPosted 7/30/2014 10:21:29 AM(edited)
redditon4chan posted...
I hope you're right. Truly. No sarcasm.

I hear you. In a country where cable companies constantly f*** us because they can, believe me. I hear you. I just don't see any reason EA would think they could do the same. The worst thing I could see coming of this service is by delisting all digital offereings on XBL and only offering future titles through the EA Access service. I don't see this as being a serious threat, however, since limiting access to their games like this would severely hurt their profits.

However, I see this service as being the exact opposite of this sentiment. EA is expanding the means through which their titles are accessible. Again I see this as nothing more than an attempt to tap into the used game market, and it's a very good one at that.

EDIT* some grammar
---