A new era of gaming is upon us XBROS!! Subscription based gaming is the FUTURE!!

#11Draconian-WhitePosted 7/31/2014 2:57:13 AM
GladiatorDanger posted...
Draconian-White posted...
Yet, people still have the CHOICE whether or not to subscribe.

Freedom is wonderful, yes?

And that is the most unfortunate thing of all of this, when gaming goes to hell in a hand-basket those who supported this program will only have themselves to blame. It is very hard to negotiate a fair price when the vast majority of gamers are so easily fooled and willing to throw their money at the latest installment of tripe shoveled their way.

How is this the equivalent of the world of gaming as we know it, going to hell in a hand-basket? Subscription based packages and microtransactions for gaming has been around since the day of MUD's and dial up internet access. We're talking decades ago.

Anyway, I'm all ears how this signifies that we walk amongst ashes and a sunken sky -- with a new malevolent entity doling out lashes while we forage for scrapped sprites.

Elaborate...
#12GladiatorDanger(Topic Creator)Posted 7/31/2014 4:02:09 AM
I already did, if you truly care to know go read my OP, of course whether or not EA's plan works depends almost entirely on you and the rest of the gaming community, at the moment EA is just easing their feet in and they will probably work their way up slowly introducing more "perks" as justification for price rises but how much they can get away with depends on how many people they can get aboard the service and how far they can push their luck, do you plan on subscribing to EA Access? If so how much are you willing to pay for each tier listed in the OP?

And yes while microtransactions and subscription based packages are not uncommon they have grown in popularity over the years with more and more gamers willing to fork out their money for less, but never before has there been a PayTV like service for gaming like EA is trying to introduce (at least not as far as I know) and whether or not they succeed depends entirely on you and the rest of the gaming populace.
#13Draconian-WhitePosted 7/31/2014 4:26:18 AM
I loathe being a broken record, but this is a non sequitur entirely because of CHOICE. A company is offering a premium service for people that enjoy their subset of games. It's very cut and dry stuff in this sea of capitalism, doppelgangers, and leprechauns in suits.

You're suggesting that a dangerous precedent can and will be enacted, when in reality the wheel to that cart was forged many moons ago. As for me, no, I will not being using the service -- EA games are not typically amongst my favorite or desirable. I usually only enjoy Madden (and the first Dragon Age: Origins, while I decried the second abomination).

That said, I can easily see how this would appeal to others out there that really enjoy most of the EA offerings. It's a rather nice deal, and prudent, in that it will save them some money while offering some nice perks. I hate to reiterate, but I fail to see the nefarious elements that you've described in the future tense become a hardened reality.

Speculation is all well and good, but the origin and subsequent reiterations of this turnstile are old hat now. I'm still not seeing doomsday come alive.
#14billsfanno1Posted 7/31/2014 4:33:43 AM
How can EA Access be the reason for gaming going to hell in a hand basket? I thought that it was already there due to Xbox Live paywall, X1 console, Kinect, DRM, TV integration, cloud, pay for DLC, microtransactions, etc. I guess it's good to be bad -- gaming hell is far more enjoyable than gaming heaven.
#15quickposterPosted 7/31/2014 4:38:32 AM
Note to TC. Activision tried the same thing with CoD and now look. Perhaps people won't eat it up like you think they will.
#16GladiatorDanger(Topic Creator)Posted 7/31/2014 4:45:51 AM(edited)
Draconian-White posted...
I loathe being a broken record, but this is a non sequitur entirely because of CHOICE. A company is offering a premium service for people that enjoy their subset of games. It's very cut and dry stuff in this sea of capitalism, doppelgangers, and leprechauns in suits.

You're suggesting that a dangerous precedent can and will be enacted, when in reality the wheel to that cart was forged many moons ago. As for me, no, I will not being using the service -- EA games are not typically amongst my favorite or desirable. I usually only enjoy Madden (and the first Dragon Age: Origins, while I decried the second abomination).

That said, I can easily see how this would appeal to others out there that really enjoy most of the EA offerings. It's a rather nice deal, and prudent, in that it will save them some money while offering some nice perks. I hate to reiterate, but I fail to see the nefarious elements that you've described in the future tense become a hardened reality.

Speculation is all well and good, but the origin and subsequent reiterations of this turnstile are old hat now. I'm still not seeing doomsday come alive.

A dangerous precedent can and will be enacted if people let it, also clarify what you mean by "CHOICE"? Do you mean that EA in it's benevolence is merely giving gamers a CHOICE in how to pay for their games or do you mean it is the gamers CHOICE as to which services they support?

Also what companies have offered a similar service to what EA is offering?
#17GladiatorDanger(Topic Creator)Posted 7/31/2014 4:48:23 AM(edited)
quickposter posted...
Note to TC. Activision tried the same thing with CoD and now look. Perhaps people won't eat it up like you think they will.

When did they do this? I remember Kotick openly saying that he would make CoD subscription based if he thought he could get away with it but I don't remember seeing Activision actually go through with it.
#18ThatLaoGuyPosted 7/31/2014 5:54:39 AM
5 dollars here and there and over that and I'm paying over a 100 bucks a month to stream games. I hope this isn't the plan.
---
If you want to see grown men online throw tantrums, visit the xbone board.
#19quickposterPosted 7/31/2014 10:05:49 AM
GladiatorDanger posted...
When did they do this? I remember Kotick openly saying that he would make CoD subscription based if he thought he could get away with it but I don't remember seeing Activision actually go through with it.

I think it was called Call of Duty Elite. Like EA it was an optional service but went nowhere. Same could happen here.