COD vs Halo Better Levels/Setpieces

#1foundryGodPosted 7/31/2014 3:51:32 AM
I'm not talking about story, characters, weapons, or even the the game as a whole. I'm talking about a single level that makes you want to replay it. Both series have had some unique and varied level designs, but a few stand out for me:

Halo:CE - When you land on the Ring for the first time. Open landscape, the Warthog, even spots where fellow marines show up.

Halo 3 - When you get to take down a Scarab. Excellent.

Halo 3:ODST - I actually liked the open world hub. It was a different take on the formula.

COD 4 - The opening training level. Probably played that one for a few hours before ever starting the real game.

The ghille suit and long range sniper stage. That got intense the first time I played it.

COD MW2 - The level based off of the Estate MP map. From start to finish, it was just a rush.

COD Ghosts - The last two stages in the game on Veteran get pretty hairy, but awesome.

There are definitely some that I missed, but those are ones that I think best represent what a dev can do in a well crafted FPS. How about you?
---
GT: mustang197
#2Foxx3kPosted 7/31/2014 4:08:04 AM
Like it or not, I would consider COD4's mission design to be influencing just about every shooter to come out since.

But, that said, taken as a whole, Halo has far better level design. COD's level design nowadays is offensively claustrophobic and trite to the point that it feels like self parody.
---
[LanParty nF4 Ultra-D] [AMD64 3700+ San Diego] [2x 1gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8] [2x 250gb Barracuda] [Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS] [X850XTPE]
#3TheGam3925Posted 7/31/2014 4:14:35 AM
CoD definitely. Unless you like rocks and generic ship and stone corridors that is.
---
People on my ignore list - 0
Because I'm not a cry baby.
#4KipbondurPosted 7/31/2014 4:21:36 AM
I absolutely love the New Mombasa levels in Halo 2. Chasing down that Scarab and jumping onto it was always my favorite.
---
GT: Kip Bondur