Sony Was Right To Turn Down EA's Video Game Subscription Plan (Forbes)

#121shdwdrgnixPosted 7/31/2014 4:03:04 PM
Reece504 posted...
how much it costs to rent Final Fantasy XIII-2, which came out in 2012? $5 for four hours! $30 for 90 days! You can buy the whole game at gamestop for $15. Gucamelee you have to pay $15 for a 90-day rental when it costs $15 to buy the game on PS3?

At least you don't have to download them to your hard drive, so it is the better choice for those that got the 12 GB PS3 or whatever small space PS4 that comes up
#122VellBellPosted 7/31/2014 4:14:45 PM
I don't care for PS Now's prices. I personally find them ridiculous. I do enjoy PS + however. EA doesn't have enough older games that warrant me purchasing any subscription service. Not to mention, besides Dragon Age (EA published isn't it?) there's nothing else to note for me.

All that said, I find an EA subscription ludicrous for most gamers. I don't trust EA not to rip people off hard core with this. I hope Microsoft keeps them in check for its Xbone users. And good on Sony for telling them no. This has the potential for disaster. And if a miracle does occur, and the EA service is a positive for gamers, they can always add it later. And if the likely occurs, and this "service" tanks and is proven to be a failure, at least they aren't locked in to anything.

I hope MS doesn't get burned by this. The ones that stand to lose in that scenario are the gamers :/
---
I play what I want.
#123sassynipplesPosted 7/31/2014 4:29:45 PM
It's also funny how ppl assume it's only for 90 days they even say they dnt plan on removing any of the games. They said if by chance they have too they will but they never said it's only for a limited times. And even so it's a great deal I'll gladly pay 30 a yr
#124pwnater777Posted 7/31/2014 4:36:03 PM
This feels just like PC DRMs. The general consensus is that EA and Ubisoft are scumbags for creating Origin/UPlay.
---
"Opinions are like magnets, nobody knows how they work." - Foppe
#125avanentPosted 7/31/2014 6:16:48 PM
sassynipples posted...
It's also funny how ppl assume it's only for 90 days they even say they dnt plan on removing any of the games. They said if by chance they have too they will but they never said it's only for a limited times. And even so it's a great deal I'll gladly pay 30 a yr

Got a source on that?

The opposite is implied if you look at: http://www.ea.com/eaaccess/

Point 1
EA Access lets you play more games for less. Binge on EA's best Xbox One games, starting with Madden NFL 25, FIFA 14, Battlefield 4 and Peggle 2 during the beta, with more to come in the future.

Point 2
As an additional perk, EA Access members get an exclusive 10% discount on EA digital purchases on Xbox One. Use your 10% discount on Madden NFL 15, Madden Ultimate Team, Battlefield 4, Battlefield 4 Premium, FIFA 15, FIFA Ultimate Team, EA SPORTS UFC, Need for Speed Rivals, Plants vs. Zombies Garden Warfare, Peggle 2 and NBA LIVE 14, with more titles coming soon.

Why would they expect subscribers to be interested in paying 10% less for Battlefield 4 and Peggle 2 if they are never going to remove them from the vault?

Implies to me that they do plan on removing games at various points in time... that, and the limited online support they have for their games (see frequent announcements of no longer supported titles for online play & patching).
#126sassynipplesPosted 7/31/2014 9:28:02 PM
I don't no how to post links through my phone but it is on every game site like GameSpot and it's in their fine print just saying n the ten percent I'd for both old n new. Obviously you haven't done much research on it. Go on a couple of sites tht talk about it.
#127avanentPosted 7/31/2014 9:47:09 PM(edited)
http://www.ea.com/eaaccess/terms.html

As part of the EA Access Services, members with an active subscription are offered (1) the ability to play a limited trial of certain EA Content 5 days prior to the date that EA Content is otherwise available on the Xbox Marketplace (“Play First”), (2) discounts on EA Content offered through the Xbox Marketplace (“Discounts”); and (3) access to a limited library of certain EA Content (“Vault Title(s)”) for unlimited online play (“Vault Access”) for the duration of their availability in the Vault. Limitations and exclusions may apply. For upcoming EA Content eligible for Play First and Discounts, and for current EA Content available in the Vault, and current details on other membership benefits, see http://www.ea.com/eaaccess. Certain EA Content may be excluded from Play First, the Vault, and/or Discounts; see http://www.ea.com/eaaccess for details on such exclusions as they become available.

EA reserves the right to change and update the EA Access Services, and the EA Content offered through the EA Access Services without any liability to you. In particular, Vault Titles are subject to change and may be removed, and the online services for certain Vault Titles may be discontinued. In the event that EA changes the EA Access Services, including the removal of Vault Titles or discontinuation of online services for certain Vault Titles, we will provide thirty (30) days advance notice to you by posting a notice on http://www.ea.com/eaaccess.

Like this?

I'm hearing a lot of third parties assuming it will be like PS+, but I'm not seeing anything directly from EA or Microsoft confirming that. However, the EA's terms and their website contribute to doubt in it working like Sony's PS+

Self Correction: https://twitter.com/EAAccess/status/494185209378516994
I was looking for articles, I typically ignore social media postings. Twitter feed from EA says they don't intend to. However, their website makes it sound otherwise. Also, with how the constantly pull support for older games, I'm not so sure that they don't intend to pull games. Maybe its more in the sort of 'time exclusive' time frame. I'll be surprised if we don't see games regularly pulled after the first year of content.
#128sassynipplesPosted 7/31/2014 9:39:52 PM
Yea says the games might be removed even if there are who cares still a good deal
#129sassynipplesPosted 7/31/2014 9:42:03 PM
It's not like psplus
#130sassynipplesPosted 7/31/2014 9:44:41 PM
Anyway I'm still going to get it was just saying regardless it's full games I haven't played besides peggle2