Bioware and LGBT characters

#1BiggyDXPosted 7/31/2014 2:54:36 PM
Are you bothered by Bioware introducing or emphasizing LGBT characters with regards to their video games? - Results (47 votes)
Yes. I would prefer Bioware not having or emphasizing LGBT characters in their games at all
14.89% (7 votes)
I am bothered by it, and wish Bioware would stop pandering to specific groups so much
19.15% (9 votes)
I am bothered by Bioware emphasizing LGBT characters, but I don't mind them being in video games
4.26% (2 votes)
So long as I have a choice in terms of my interaction with LGBT characters, I'm not bothered by Bioware's actions
12.77% (6 votes)
I'm not bothered by it. I can handle playing a game with LGBT characters regardless
14.89% (7 votes)
No, I'm not. In fact, Bioware should develop more LGBT characters into future titles
19.15% (9 votes)
No opinion/Don't care
14.89% (7 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Bioware is under some slight controversy with certain gamers when it comes to it's announcement of two fully gay and lesbian characters in Dragon Age: Inquisition. Some argue that it's a blatant attempt to pander to the LGBT community and its advocates, while others simply believe it's Bioware keeping with the times and trying to bring more options and uniqueness to their video games. Others lie somewhere in between. I'm sure this topic will bring people into having strong opinions either way. Though this isn't the first time a video game has sparked a debate about such additions, Bioware tends to stoke these conversations more often than any other developer; given the narrative and open-ended nature of many of their games. I'm posting this as a means for people to gauge where certain parts of the gaming community lie; maybe even have a deeper discussion (but this is GameFAQ's sooo...)

Hopefully I was nuanced enough in my options. I didn't want to trap people into binary choices when they may fall into subtle grey areas. If you feel as though your opinion needs better clarification on this issue, then feel free to discuss.
---
Gamertag: Biggy DX
#2Robin_MaskPosted 7/31/2014 2:56:09 PM
No opinion/Don't care

However, it's gotten to the point where companies get bashed JUST because they don't include a gay or "non-white" characters. Where people are crazy enough and DEMAND that a company does something or else.

This is why Bioware does the lame announcements.
---
Solo and co-op player only.
#3EstocassassinPosted 7/31/2014 2:56:41 PM
No but i am bothered that people think that it's a big enough thing to keep making topics about.
---
I try to keep it classy, but on gfaqs you've just got to get down and dirty with the trolls.
#4scoobydoobydontPosted 7/31/2014 2:58:21 PM
I care insomuch as rigidly defining NPC/party members' sexuality limits the options of the player. I don't care because of any problem with LGBT orientations in and of themselves.
---
http://i.imgur.com/GJYBL1e.jpg
^ NeoGAF mod and Microsoft "shill" perma-banner bishoptl, wearing a spiffing new hat from his sponsors at Sony
#5Crystyn_7BPosted 7/31/2014 3:01:18 PM
I think the writers are simply given free reign after the critique on DA2 characters all being playersexual.
#6ADHDguitarPosted 7/31/2014 3:03:08 PM
I think they can come off as being a little heavy handed about it sometimes.

That being said the only thing that bothers me is when journalists try to make controversy where there isn't any.
---
MSI Z87-G45 | i7-4770K | GTX 780 | G.Skill 16 GB DDR3 | Corsair 850W| Cooler Master Full Tower | Seagate 3TB Drive | LG Blu-Ray Drive |
#7GladiatorDangerPosted 7/31/2014 3:03:57 PM
2 exclusively Gay and Lesbian characters? As in 2 exclusively gay male and 2 exclusively gay female options or 1 exclusively gay option for each gender?

Honestly don't care if games have exclusively gay romance options however I do feel that Bioware has put so much focus on trying to appear as the shining white knights of social justice that it has seeped into their games and has compromised their initial goals for the world they were trying to create.
#8scoobydoobydontPosted 7/31/2014 3:06:33 PM
Crystyn_7B posted...
I think the writers are simply given free reign after the critique on DA2 characters all being playersexual.

The criticism was more often for the clumsy implementation (players supposedly getting hit on constantly for being nice to a character, which itself was a massive exaggeration), not being "playersexual".
---
http://i.imgur.com/GJYBL1e.jpg
^ NeoGAF mod and Microsoft "shill" perma-banner bishoptl, wearing a spiffing new hat from his sponsors at Sony
#9Jedi454Posted 7/31/2014 3:09:30 PM
It's not controversy for me because i'm secure about my sexuality and don't condemn those who attracted to the same gender. It's a 1950's way of thinking.
---
Sony Fanboy: "PS4 sold the most again this month!" Sony Fan: "Who cares dude?" Sony Fanboy: ":'("
#10BiggyDX(Topic Creator)Posted 7/31/2014 3:21:00 PM
Estocassassin posted...
No but i am bothered that people think that it's a big enough thing to keep making topics about.

TBH, I honestly didn't think people would have such a serious issue with this (even if it's a small group of gamers). Bioware typically makes their games non-linear, and with multiple romance options. This was all the way back in the KOTOR/Jade Empire days. Nothing was ever forced on you. People getting worked up over it just kind of surprises me.
---
Gamertag: Biggy DX