COMMENT | 3-1 to Sony? Microsoft need a new console, and soon

#21a_riot04Posted 8/1/2014 11:03:22 AM
Now I'm pretty excited for the name. Xbox One 2?
#22Private_NoobPosted 8/5/2014 4:39:48 AM
microbone attempted to sell their souls to SOPA, so this is not surprising.
---
Oh no! Private_Noob posted!
I'm the noobiest noob you'll ever see!
#23StrongBlackVinePosted 8/5/2014 4:42:37 AM
MasteroftheArts posted...
What a terrible article. It takes disperate facts and weaves a clever narrative which is wholly false. The X1 is doing fine. It could be doing much better, but talk about starting a new console is beyond absurd.

Firstly, why does the author focus on monthly sales instead of STD? If VGchartz is to be believed, we're currently at 5 million for X1 to PS4's 8.7 million. Not even 2 to 1. If we look at YTD, the X1 is at 1.9 million to the PS4's 4.3 million; a little over 2 to 1. It's almost as if the author is searching for a statistic which can legitimize the narrative of the article rather than following the statistics that we have. If the next two months, the X1 outsells the PS4 by 10,000 units each month, will the author then release another article proclaiming Microsoft's salvation from its struggles; even though the difference in sales is virtually non-existent from today's? Using short-term stats to make long-term predictions is tantamount to using this week's weather forecast to predict trends in Climate Change.

Secondly, the messaging in this piece makes no sense whatsoever. Early in the article the author says this:

We've said since the two consoles launched that Microsoft have had the better exclusives thus far. We've suggested that they have the better exclusive lineup this Christmas, what with the Master Chief Collection, Sunset Overdrive, and Forza Horizon 2 edging LittleBigPlanet 3, Driveclub, and (if it's even still on track for this year) PlanetSide 2.

So what we're to infer from this is that Microsoft is doing a great job providing content for their system, but since the sales are slipping, they should abandon this and instead focus on working on a new console. It makes no sense whatsoever. The problem is the messaging. People are now convinced that PS4 offers the superior experience because of the paywall, (which no longer exists), the cheaper premium service (which is actually more expensive if you're smart), the price (which is no longer relevant) and the better multiplats (which, while currently a significant problem, won't last as both consoles continue to optimize and hit the 1080p/60 fps wall for this generation.)

Perhaps he means that Microsoft needs a new console in a metaphorical sense in that they need to change direction; even this makes little sense in light of the quote above as they're already in a good position, they just aren't making enough sales. The issue is the messaging. Microsoft screwed up their messaging, then they backtracked when they should have stood firm and demonstrated how their system is superior, then they dropped mandatory support of the Kinect which is possibly a smart move which only time will tell. Now the criticism is that Microsoft has no vision instead of the criticism that Microsoft is not for the gamers. They have done a remarkably poor job of explaining their position well to the average gamer. While this will fix itself in time, they will continue to fall back in sales until this is fixed. Fortunately, the article correctly points out that Spencer is already starting to change this.

There is an issue with the claim that they're abandoning their original vision, but I'm running out of room, so I'll just mention it.

Overall, these FUD articles do nothing other than foster divisive battles with each side rah rah'ing their console of choice rather than understanding the reality that both consoles have novel features and advantages to offer. It's up to consumers to decide what features are for them. Personally, I love the X1 exclusives and the Kinect and have used it every day since I got the console when it launched. For those that don't like it and want extra power in their system and a more comprehensive indie library, the PS4 is for you.

VgChartz is not be believed. Th
#24quincy2000a(Topic Creator)Posted 8/5/2014 9:38:37 AM
http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/187536-could-microsoft-upgrade-the-xbox-ones-hardware-to-fix-the-ps4-performance-gap?fullsite=true
---
"Correct. Xbox One is Kinect." Microsoft VP
Really...seems this Day One Edition purchaser was "Madoff-ed by Microsoft."
#25A-hootPosted 8/5/2014 9:44:26 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#26BERZERKER17Posted 8/5/2014 9:51:25 AM
quincy2000a posted...
http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/187536-could-microsoft-upgrade-the-xbox-ones-hardware-to-fix-the-ps4-performance-gap?fullsite=true

This is definitely 100% possible, with use of Microsofts patented, tested and refined Cloud Processing technology, The Xbox OneŽ will outmatch even the fastest of PC's and will absolutely overshadow the PlayStation 4 in terms of power, graphic capability and obviously, exclusives!!!!
---
R.I.P TimeSplitters 4, R.I.P FreeRadical, 21st December 2008.
XBL Gamertag: Catalytic Flash
#27kyncaniPosted 8/5/2014 1:01:43 PM
Or just have cheap Xbox One games. I don't have any reason to pick any game on my Xbox One since PS4 games are both better *AND* cheaper.
#28ARsignal11Posted 8/5/2014 1:23:53 PM
By the responses, a lot of people in this thread haven't read the article.
#29chedibang1994Posted 8/5/2014 1:40:34 PM
I guess sony needed a new console when ps3 dropped......oh wait
---
Sony for the gamers!!!! More fun on xbox one!!!! Wii u!!!! The devil is a lie!!!! By Ricky Rosay
#30Laylow12Posted 8/5/2014 1:43:30 PM
chedibang1994 posted...
I guess sony needed a new console when ps3 dropped......oh wait

Nope. They just made AAA Non-Gimmick games.

http://a.disquscdn.com/uploads/mediaembed/images/850/3994/original.jpg

---
The Queen of Light took her bow, and then she turned to go.
The Prince of Peace embraced the gloom, and walked the night alone.-Battle of Evermore/Zeppelin