Help with cable box and xbox one with receiver

#1qwerty800Posted 8/1/2014 12:08:25 PM
Ok how can I hook up a cable box and xbox one with an A/V receiver. What I want to do is to set it up so I can have the xbox to work with the cable box but also if I want to watch tv I don't need to have the xbox one all the time. So right now I have the xbox on one hdmi port on the receiver and the cable box to another hdmi port on the receiver. Right now I can hook up the cable so that it works if the xbox is on but what I want is not to have to turn the xbox on all the time if I want to watch TV. So if you guys have any ideas that would help that would be great.
---
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
#2duericPosted 8/1/2014 12:19:14 PM
If you run the cable box HDMI to the One, it will need to be on to watch TV.

The only way around it is to run HDMI from the cable box to the Xbox and use it that way.

Then run a different output from the cable box to the receiver. Such as component cables and a digital optical cable for audio.

Then when your Xbox is off, you'll still be able to watch TV through the receiver. The picture and sound will be comparable. The downside is all the wiring.
---
"It's like people using the internet have never heard of the internet." - SadHillShowdown Gamefaqs member
#3qwerty800(Topic Creator)Posted 8/1/2014 12:25:47 PM
What about something like this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E4X2TEO?psc=1. Would that work
---
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
#4duericPosted 8/1/2014 12:27:46 PM
qwerty800 posted...
What about something like this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E4X2TEO?psc=1. Would that work

Not unless your cable box has 2 HDMI outputs.

If that's the case, you wouldn't need the splitter at all.
---
"It's like people using the internet have never heard of the internet." - SadHillShowdown Gamefaqs member
#5qwerty800(Topic Creator)Posted 8/1/2014 12:31:14 PM
well I was thinking plug that into the cable box then run one hdmi cord to the hdmi port on the receiver for the cable box then run the other hdmi to the cable box hdmi part on the xbox.
---
#6duericPosted 8/1/2014 11:27:44 PM
qwerty800 posted...
well I was thinking plug that into the cable box then run one hdmi cord to the hdmi port on the receiver for the cable box then run the other hdmi to the cable box hdmi part on the xbox.

You could try that. But I don't think that's how those devices works.

I wouldn't vouch for it, but it may work.
---
#7miethaPosted 8/2/2014 12:16:14 AM
The xbox one integration with receivers is one of its great strong points. Why wouldn't you want it on? It's the ONLY damn use for the kinect, not to mention, with smartglass, you can use your phone to control your receiver, among other things. I would strongly advise trying it out before you decide to not use it properly.

If you don't know, if you have it hooked up properly, saying "xbox on" turns on the system, the receiver and the tv. And I use "xbox pause" MANY times a day while watching tv.