Canceling White PS4 Destiny bundle, buying an Xbox One instead

#1Draconian-WhitePosted 8/1/2014 3:04:14 PM
I've had a change of heart, so I thought that I'd pass along my thoughts as to why it happened. I am an avid PC gamer and also own a Wii U. I told myself that I would wait a while until there is games that would appeal to me and justify my purchase of an Xbox One or PS4.

I have no desire to own both, especially after having owned multiple SKU's of both the Xbox 360 and PS3 last generation. I will not be doing that again, as I found it to be a waste of money in the long run. Plus, I'd just rather have less clutter in our main living room.

On to my reversal and thoughts...

I've played the PS4 and some of the games over at my buddies house. Same with the Xbox One and the controller, as he owns both consoles. The DS4 controller is a great upgrade over its predecessors, but I still found it uncomfortable after several hours of use -- I guess you could partly chalk that up to me having larger hands. Also, I found the battery life to be abysmal. There's easy ways around that, it's just inconvenient more than anything else.

With the Xbox One controller, I found it just as comfortable as the X360 one, maybe even more so. It just seemed sculpted to my hand and natural. Obviously this all personal preference, but I find that whichever controller is more comfortable to you should go a long way in your purchasing decision(s). Plus, I'll be playing the Elder Scrolls online from my console of choice once it drops (playing on PC religiously now) -- hence, a lot of hours using a controller. I want said controller to be comfortable in my hands, and in my case, that is the X1 controller.

Games, plain and simple. Microsoft is really going to town on the development and innovation that go into releasing us some terrific games now, and into the future. The lineup looks excellent to me, very bright future there. My personal trifecta that I am most excited for is: Sunset Overdrive, The Master Chief Collection, and Quantum Break (love Sam Lake and Remedy). These three games make the Xbox One worth a purchase alone (on paper).

The more and more that I've watched and read with Sunset Overdrive, well, the anticipation and level of adoration has crept up on me. This game looks insanely fun, polished, and like a truly next generation experience with the Xbox One platform. I'm sold, completely and utterly -- it's now THE one title that I'm most looking forward to this year. I'm all in!

The online aspect. In my experience, XBL vs. PSN is different. In my opinion, XBL is more robust and feature rich, with a living community that is thriving. PSN while nothing to scoff at (and was great for free), just seemed much more muted, cold, and sterile in comparison. Microsoft has always seemed much more swift on the software side (firmware updates, patches, etc.), while Sony has had its share of well documented problems.

The one negative in all of this, is that more of my friends are on the PS4 and PSN. That was something that weighed heavily on my mind, and is something that should be a huge factor in someone's buying decision. In my case, I've decided to forego that aspect and do what makes the most sense for me and would ultimately make me happier in the long run. The games, controller, and XBL (Microsoft software support) itself were the three pros that outweighed my glaring con. Very excited to get an Xbox One, and get to gaming on it.

Anyone else in a similar boat, recently?
#2Mindwipe77Posted 8/1/2014 3:07:12 PM
hats off to any1 who cares to read all that
---
Xbox has the worst fanboys in all of gaming
"All the significant breakthroughs were breaks with old ways of thinking."
#3wavvvvesPosted 8/1/2014 3:12:19 PM
I'm not reading all of that but try killer instinct, it's imo the best xbox one title atm. Also i'm a huge titanfall guy.
#43HPPosted 8/1/2014 3:13:06 PM
Mindwipe77 posted...
#5Jedi454Posted 8/1/2014 3:15:37 PM
Welcome home TC, the Halo Master Chief Collection alone makes the system worth it. I hope you enjoy it.
---
Sony Fanboy: "PS4 sold the most again this month!" Sony Fan: "Who cares dude?" Sony Fanboy: ":'("
#6Draconian-White(Topic Creator)Posted 8/1/2014 3:16:20 PM
wavvvves posted...
I'm not reading all of that but try killer instinct, it's imo the best xbox one title atm. Also i'm a huge titanfall guy.

Yeah, I'll check out Killer Instinct. I've seen some vids, and thought it looked pretty cool.
#7unclekoolaid73Posted 8/1/2014 3:16:31 PM
Jedi454 posted...
Welcome home TC, the Halo Master Chief Collection alone makes the system worth it. I hope you enjoy it.

Opinions are Kewl.
#8Draconian-White(Topic Creator)Posted 8/1/2014 3:19:11 PM
Mindwipe77 posted...

Most likely people that are too lazy to spell out "anyone," should steer clear.
#9Laylow12Posted 8/1/2014 3:19:12 PM
Draconian-White posted...
I've had a change of heart, so I thought that I'd pass along my thoughts as to why it happened. I am an avid PC gamer and also own a Wii U. I told myself that I would wait a while until there is games that would appeal to me and justify my purchase of an Xbox One or PS4.

I have no desire to own both, especially after having owned multiple SKU's of both the Xbox 360 and PS3 last generation. I will not be doing that again, as I found it to be a waste of money in the long run. Plus, I'd just rather have less clutter in our main living room.

On to my reversal and thoughts...

I've played the PS4 and some of the games over at my buddies house. Same with the Xbox One and the controller, as he owns both consoles. The DS4 controller is a great upgrade over its predecessors, but I still found it uncomfortable after several hours of use -- I guess you could partly chalk that up to me having larger hands. Also, I found the battery life to be abysmal. There's easy ways around that, it's just inconvenient more than anything else.

With the Xbox One controller, I found it just as comfortable as the X360 one, maybe even more so. It just seemed sculpted to my hand and natural. Obviously this all personal preference, but I find that whichever controller is more comfortable to you should go a long way in your purchasing decision(s). Plus, I'll be playing the Elder Scrolls online from my console of choice once it drops (playing on PC religiously now) -- hence, a lot of hours using a controller. I want said controller to be comfortable in my hands, and in my case, that is the X1 controller.

Games, plain and simple. Microsoft is really going to town on the development and innovation that go into releasing us some terrific games now, and into the future. The lineup looks excellent to me, very bright future there. My personal trifecta that I am most excited for is: Sunset Overdrive, The Master Chief Collection, and Quantum Break (love Sam Lake and Remedy). These three games make the Xbox One worth a purchase alone (on paper).

The more and more that I've watched and read with Sunset Overdrive, well, the anticipation and level of adoration has crept up on me. This game looks insanely fun, polished, and like a truly next generation experience with the Xbox One platform. I'm sold, completely and utterly -- it's now THE one title that I'm most looking forward to this year. I'm all in!

The online aspect. In my experience, XBL vs. PSN is different. In my opinion, XBL is more robust and feature rich, with a living community that is thriving. PSN while nothing to scoff at (and was great for free), just seemed much more muted, cold, and sterile in comparison. Microsoft has always seemed much more swift on the software side (firmware updates, patches, etc.), while Sony has had its share of well documented problems.

The one negative in all of this, is that more of my friends are on the PS4 and PSN. That was something that weighed heavily on my mind, and is something that should be a huge factor in someone's buying decision. In my case, I've decided to forego that aspect and do what makes the most sense for me and would ultimately make me happier in the long run. The games, controller, and XBL (Microsoft software support) itself were the three pros that outweighed my glaring con. Very excited to get an Xbox One, and get to gaming on it.

Anyone else in a similar boat, recently?

Dd you hit all the bullet points on the little chart in front of you?

---
The Queen of Light took her bow, and then she turned to go.
The Prince of Peace embraced the gloom, and walked the night alone.-Battle of Evermore/Zeppelin
#10triple sPosted 8/1/2014 3:19:22 PM
Jedi454 posted...

That alone pushed me to get an Xbox One before the PS4.
---
GT:Triple S 06
Steam ID:triples22