Dark Days of Gaming. Let's talk about it.

#31Terry-bogardPosted 8/2/2014 6:03:09 AM
You kids have no idea how good gaming became over the years.
Back in the days games had no quality control and studios could sell anything based on the game box , there was next to no media to show any sign on how bad a game was , some of those lasted 45 seconds before being finished , some couldn't even be played . Games on audio cassettes were sold by batch of 12 on the same cassette and you would thank your lucky star if 3 could even work.

Dark days of gaming ? You sound like a baby who lost his candy bar , please .... gaming never was this good and people having any sort of leverage against a gaming company is a very recent thing.
Go ask your mother for a change of diaper and stop crying.
---
Only kids brag about performances in a videogame. Being good at a videogame is only about spending time playing it , nothing special about it.
#32BDJaycePosted 8/2/2014 6:22:54 AM
Terry-bogard posted...
Back in the days games had no quality control and studios could sell anything based on the game box , there was next to no media to show any sign on how bad a game was , some of those lasted 45 seconds before being finished , some couldn't even be played . Games on audio cassettes were sold by batch of 12 on the same cassette and you would thank your lucky star if 3 could even work.

Dark days of gaming ? You sound like a baby who lost his candy bar , please .... gaming never was this good and people having any sort of leverage against a gaming company is a very recent thing.

It may not have been as shiny but to say it's never been 'this good' is laughable. I'd trade the fancy graphics, dlc, multiplayer, and buggy releases for a return to the days of SNES - PSX.

They aren't the darkest days of gaming by any means but the list of future releases aren't exactly filling me with hope.
---
9-14-1959 - 5-4-2014. Goodbye Momma, I love you. Rest well.
GT: JamesBolton0723
#33Laylow12Posted 8/2/2014 6:26:36 AM
Terry-bogard posted...

This man speaks the truth. The only whiners and babies are the developers, publishers and console companies that can't make it in this cash soaked hobby. They've never had it better, yet they still cry if we don't rush out and buy their inferior products to fill their ridiculous feelings of entitlement. Like we owe them something.

---
The Queen of Light took her bow, and then she turned to go.
The Prince of Peace embraced the gloom, and walked the night alone.-Battle of Evermore/Zeppelin
#34pnut3844Posted 8/2/2014 6:36:17 AM
mietha posted...
I have played a video game almost every day for 34 years. IMO gaming has only gotten better with each of those days. Sure, not everything gets better (rock band is dead, the height of RPGs and ARPGs have passed us by, arcades are gone, etc.), but as a whole, it always gets better. Sure plenty of things suck (microtransactions, for instance), but things like that can only last for so long. For the record, people, you can't blame the industry for taking people's money that wants to give it to them. No one has ever MADE anyone purchase a single micro-transaction. If people didn't buy them, they would have died long ago. We have more variety than ever dreamed of. Consoles aren't what they were (I mean that in both a good and bad way), mobile games are crap (well, SOMEONE's enjoying them), and handhelds have all but been rendered pointless, but PCs are stronger than ever, and that's saying a LOT. The dark days of gaming are the few years before the NES came out and exploded when gaming, as an industry, nearly died. The last generation, in north america, the three systems set at 2, 3 and 6 on the all-time console sales list. Gaming has never been stronger, more mainstream (again, good and bad) or more accepted as a legitimate hobby and we are RIGHT on the cusp of it being accepted as an artform. If you think THESE are the "dark days" you are either very young or you don't know your history very well.

I agree with everything except one thing. Rpg height isn't gone. Skyrim? New Vegas? BL?
#35regsantotomasPosted 8/2/2014 7:39:36 AM
mietha posted...
I have played a video game almost every day for 34 years. IMO gaming has only gotten better with each of those days. Sure, not everything gets better (rock band is dead, the height of RPGs and ARPGs have passed us by, arcades are gone, etc.), but as a whole, it always gets better. Sure plenty of things suck (microtransactions, for instance), but things like that can only last for so long. For the record, people, you can't blame the industry for taking people's money that wants to give it to them. No one has ever MADE anyone purchase a single micro-transaction. If people didn't buy them, they would have died long ago. We have more variety than ever dreamed of. Consoles aren't what they were (I mean that in both a good and bad way), mobile games are crap (well, SOMEONE's enjoying them), and handhelds have all but been rendered pointless, but PCs are stronger than ever, and that's saying a LOT. The dark days of gaming are the few years before the NES came out and exploded when gaming, as an industry, nearly died. The last generation, in north america, the three systems set at 2, 3 and 6 on the all-time console sales list. Gaming has never been stronger, more mainstream (again, good and bad) or more accepted as a legitimate hobby and we are RIGHT on the cusp of it being accepted as an artform. If you think THESE are the "dark days" you are either very young or you don't know your history very well.

Great post. As someone who was there when there were literally no games to buy on store shelves; people have no idea what dark days really mean.

If people can't find a game in the sea of options out there then they should find a new hobby.
---
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything - Mark Twain
#36loafy013Posted 8/2/2014 4:21:00 PM
pnut3844 posted...
I agree with everything except one thing. Rpg height isn't gone. Skyrim? New Vegas? BL?

Those are more ARPG's aren't they? I find it harder to find the more traditional style of turn-based RPG's like Dragon Quest which is my preferred playstyle.
---
The ball is round, the game lasts 90 minutes. That's fact.
Everything else, is theory.
#37pnut3844Posted 8/2/2014 4:52:22 PM
loafy013 posted...
pnut3844 posted...

Those are more ARPG's aren't they? I find it harder to find the more traditional style of turn-based RPG's like Dragon Quest which is my preferred playstyle.

Idk what an ARPG is, but I personally hate turn based. The elder scrolls series is a pure rpg, and that series alone shows that the genre is far from dead. And while I love old rpgs, the elder scrolls are the best of that genre ever imo.
#38Jedi454Posted 8/2/2014 5:03:48 PM(edited)
ITT: Bunch of grumpy old men getting too old to enjoy modern gaming.
---
Sony Fanboy: "PS4 sold the most again this month!" Sony Fan: "Who cares dude?" Sony Fanboy: ":'("
#39Draconian-WhitePosted 8/2/2014 5:05:50 PM
When in doubt: Hodor.
#40MicropolisPosted 8/2/2014 5:45:04 PM
mietha posted...

This