What are your views on the gaming industry and community today?

#1shotymePosted 8/1/2014 11:47:06 PM
What do you like? Hate? Hope a certain thing is changed? Etc?

Me personally, while I don't think we're in the golden age we once were in, it's still for the most part good in my eyes. However there are a few or perhaps many gripes that have me concerned going foward.

-DLC: There are two types of DLC. You have the good kind, like Borderlands 2 4 full campaigns. Then there's the other kind(KZSF's farts or various FPS map packs). Remember the good days when games like Unreal Tournament 2004 came out with massive content from the jump(121 maps to start)? Or when you wanted that cool item or weapon, you unlocked it via tough sidequests/objective or cheat? Nowadays instead of good fully developed game, we basically get Gammas(past Beta stage but roughly 80% done) and are lucky to get 6 maps.

-HD Remasters: Tough one for me. On one hand, it's nice to see some games get the shiny treatment, though on the other hand, it's pointless if there are no extra features added in my opinion. Take TLoU for example, as cool as it was to see all the new shiny, it was still the same exact game and was still limited due basicaly using the PS3 blueprint. Another example, as of now, there is a petition to get Epic to remaster the entire Gears series for the One. It makes you wonder: why not just have BC for your console? And do we really want to see these games again with shiny paint or this due to the drought?

-Community: The beloved community in which you the reader and I are a part of. The community is a colorful diversive bunch to say the least. On one hand you have just yout gamers, those who just game regardless of platform and want to have discussions such as this. Then we have..THEY. The ones who engage in the console wars or bash those whose opinions may not be aligned with their's. We're so enticed by numbers or other things that we forget to have fun. I remember I use to be a Nintendo fanboy to the fullest. I played nothing but Nintendo consoles and smited other platforms or those that preferred them. Eventually I was able to expand my mindset and started playing other consoles and PC as well..best decision ever. When people remember that in the end it's only plastic and that each piece of plastic offers something unique, maybe we will live in an age where people realize their household can exist with a Wii U, PS4, X1, and PC side by side.

-Future of PC/Consoles: Speaking of PC...not a complaint but rather a burning question. Do any of you feel as if PC is the future? Think about. With this console generation demanding more on the frames per second issue for there games, as well as MOBAs, and F2P being the hottest thing smoking...will PC become the standard? As the demand for performance in consoles increase, the price of the consoles themselves may increase(perhaps more than a PC). Do you guys eventually see ALL major Publishers jumping soon after this cycle..maybe their own PC hardware?

Of course I would like to here all of your opinions..whether it's your own issues or questions..oe even replies to mine.

*This was also posted on the PS4 board.
---
Playing: Smite(PC),Rayman Legends(X1),Ncaa 14(PS3),USF4(PS3),KI(X1)/Wants: Corpse Party BD(Vita),Dragon Age 3(TBD),Madden 15(TBD),Smash Bros U
Go Oregon/Illini
#2Reece504Posted 8/2/2014 12:11:58 AM
community sucks this whole generation of gamers suck

People jumping for joy of old ports ran through filters (not talking about actually remakes or overhauls like halo 2)

People screaming out nerf instead of getting good I've seen people cry over the sawed off and other weapons to the point that gow3 was horrible weapon wise. Same with PVZ people screaming classes are op within a week of release instead of actually playing it same with Killer instinct people cry about OP characters.

People caring about resolution and FPS over gameplay,story,mechanics,fun factor

People paying for demos and paying 30 dollars for demos and accepting it.

The flood of indies and copycat games im tired of the 8 bit art syle I have a snes and a sega i could always hook up and copy cat I mean games like bro force and super time force both have similar art style and are pretty much contra clones to an extent.
Same with all the clone indie platformers.
---
PSN:Knickyknucklez 360:Kn1ckyknucklez Wii-U:KnickyKnucklez
#3Jedi454Posted 8/2/2014 12:16:46 AM(edited)
DLC - Used to care a lot about, but now i've got the "don't like, don't buy it" mentality because I couldn't care less. Devs make DLC because of how expensive games are to create.

Consoles - Too heavily reliant on the internet, even though this is a changing world. Doesn't affect me so much, but I could see where it would be frustrating for other people who don't have the luxury of internet access. They're also shipped with less features than last gen consoles. Things are starting to be stripped away to make them less convenient than they used to be.

Games - No problem with games been shipped with Day One patches, but I do care about games like Battlefield 4 that are shipped uncompleted. Lately i've only really cared about RPGs, so I don't really care about recycled and yearly franchises still being alive.

Remasters - Too many games are being remastered for a quick buck, it works in a lot of cases for those who sell their last gen consoles, but they're being abused lately. TLoU and Tomb Raider didn't really need a remaster.

My opinion on people's perspectives on what the "golden age" of gaming is - Gaming is getting better, whether people like it or not. Games are bringing more content for value, games are becoming harder to create, more expensive to make, so it's no wonder DLC practices have advanced to this point. People are just stuck in nostalgia because they aren't kids or teenagers anymore so they don't enjoy games the way they used to. There is no real "golden age" of gaming because gaming has always been golden for me, i've always enjoyed it and will continue to do so.

Community - The bitterness in the community is the minority. Most fanboys are neckbearders, keyboard warriors and children who believe propaganda and click bait articles by the folks of DF, IGN, EuroGamer and so on. People are too heavily reliant on the internet as a source of information and will believe anything without real evidence half the time. The real fans of gaming, spend most of their time enjoying their hobby, trying to discuss and as more people become fanboys, those people just enjoying their hobby are being dragged into the discussions.

Not naming any users here, but there are good chunk of users well above their early 20's that still participate in fanboy arguments, create troll threads here as a pass time.

Game Info sites/ Reviews - I take information from Game Info sites pretty lightly until i've seen multiple sites claim the same information with evidence, I don't get any information from opinion pieces because they're always going to be biased, always. I don't use reviews to justify purchases, but I look at multiple reviews, sources of gameplay, first impressions and study up on knowledge about a particular game I want before I buy it because I want my money to be well spent, where as I used to trust sites like IGN for reviews (I was an idiot back then).
---
Sony Fanboy: "PS4 sold the most again this month!" Sony Fan: "Who cares dude?" Sony Fanboy: ":'("
#4twinstarnumber1Posted 8/2/2014 1:40:39 AM
The community hasn't changed at all, there's still the vocal minority of whiney, petty, argumentative people. The only difference is people are paying more attention to them now.
---
XBL Gamertag: mydarkstar --- PSN: mydarkstar
#5Spetsnaz420Posted 8/2/2014 2:07:37 AM
Frankly, the industry is circling the porcelain bowl and morons are cheering it on. Gaming as a fun hobby is a mere shadow of its former self. Games are released broken, less content in favour of DLC, yearly releases, remakes, rehashes, subscription services, innovation takes a back seat to familiarity and worst of all, games are stupidly easy now so casual won't be scared off.

There's a reason 20 year old games are still selling well on various platforms, they were good, they were (generally) quality. Projects were often a labour of love, not an investment with too much risk to produce.

I'm sick to death at what my favorite past time has become... I'm more sick watching people being complacent with it.

GARBAGE
---
A sight for sore eyes to the blind would be awful majestic
#6Jedi454Posted 8/2/2014 4:11:43 AM
Spetsnaz420 posted...
Frankly, the industry is circling the porcelain bowl and morons are cheering it on. Gaming as a fun hobby is a mere shadow of its former self. Games are released broken, less content in favour of DLC, yearly releases, remakes, rehashes, subscription services, innovation takes a back seat to familiarity and worst of all, games are stupidly easy now so casual won't be scared off.

There's a reason 20 year old games are still selling well on various platforms, they were good, they were (generally) quality. Projects were often a labour of love, not an investment with too much risk to produce.

I'm sick to death at what my favorite past time has become... I'm more sick watching people being complacent with it.

GARBAGE

This guy is stuck in the past.
---
Sony Fanboy: "PS4 sold the most again this month!" Sony Fan: "Who cares dude?" Sony Fanboy: ":'("
#7Puckswack12Posted 8/2/2014 5:27:17 AM
The community as a whole is fine. This board would have you think otherwise but the people I know irl who game a lot and don't visit forums are good people and enthusiastic of all games. It's actually quite heartening.

The industry is just out to make a buck. Annual releases of popular franchises is probably the worst thing about gaming today. A lot of the responsibility for good games succeeding is left to the consumer, which is how it should be.

And yes, I do believe pc is the future. I predict one, maybe two more generations of consoles before everything condenses into a single, accommodating box: the personal computer.
---
Yup
#8garcia_jxPosted 8/2/2014 7:21:20 AM
Same it has always been, but now they have an audience to cry to.
#9regsantotomasPosted 8/2/2014 7:35:47 AM
Gaming forums are fortunately not necessarily indicative of the larger gaming community. Besides, most of the people I game with are people I know in real life. Even when I play with randoms occasionally, my experience is usually a positive one.

I have been gaming a relatively long time. I've been playing since putting money into my first arcade machine in the late 70s. I don't lament about how it "used to be" or "how it should be".

The industry has moved from a fad to mainstream entertainment media.

I think that many people who complain have lost sight of the fact that there are more games available today than ever at nearly every price point. Yes, the industry isn't always going to go the particular way you want.

At the same time, there are avenues to provide feedback outside of just throwing fits on random forums.

I choose to invest and support games and solutions that matter to me and let the free market do its thing. It has, for the most part, worked out for me.

I plan to continue gaming for a long time.

It is still one of the best entertainment value. It is better and cheaper than it has ever been.
---
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything - Mark Twain
#10Spetsnaz420Posted 8/2/2014 10:08:39 PM
Jedi454 posted...
Spetsnaz420 posted...

GARBAGE

This guy is stuck in the past.

Yeah I guess expecting quality to increase over time is asking too much. Pull your head out of your ass... Because if you are happy where things are now, that's where it is, which is worse than burying it in the sand.

If being stuck in the past was my problem I wouldn't need to upgrade my video card or buy a next gen system.

Frankly people like you are a huge part of the problem, maybe you're too young to remember how things once were. But they were certainly better than this. Console wars were limited to the schoolyard and never went as far as it does now (thanks to the anonymity of the Internet and zero accountability).

I just don't see how anyone who knows what gaming can be could be OK with what it is currently.

Also Jedi... Maybe now you'll answer my question... What happened to you? I used to consider you to be at least a reasonable fan, now you're no better than the people you troll.... What happened?
---
A sight for sore eyes to the blind would be awful majestic