What are your views on the gaming industry and community today?

#21Jedi454Posted 8/2/2014 11:56:20 PM
Spetsnaz420 posted...
Jedi454 posted...
Spetsnaz420 posted...
Frankly, the industry is circling the porcelain bowl and morons are cheering it on. Gaming as a fun hobby is a mere shadow of its former self. Games are released broken, less content in favour of DLC, yearly releases, remakes, rehashes, subscription services, innovation takes a back seat to familiarity and worst of all, games are stupidly easy now so casual won't be scared off.

There's a reason 20 year old games are still selling well on various platforms, they were good, they were (generally) quality. Projects were often a labour of love, not an investment with too much risk to produce.

I'm sick to death at what my favorite past time has become... I'm more sick watching people being complacent with it.

GARBAGE

This guy is stuck in the past.

Yeah I guess expecting quality to increase over time is asking too much. Pull your head out of your ass... Because if you are happy where things are now, that's where it is, which is worse than burying it in the sand.

If being stuck in the past was my problem I wouldn't need to upgrade my video card or buy a next gen system.

Frankly people like you are a huge part of the problem, maybe you're too young to remember how things once were. But they were certainly better than this. Console wars were limited to the schoolyard and never went as far as it does now (thanks to the anonymity of the Internet and zero accountability).

I just don't see how anyone who knows what gaming can be could be OK with what it is currently.

Also Jedi... Maybe now you'll answer my question... What happened to you? I used to consider you to be at least a reasonable fan, now you're no better than the people you troll.... What happened?

Console wars are made up of a minority of the gaming community. You're much more informed on the games you buy now, things have improved and gone backwards, but at least you're aren't buying broken games like the ones that were on the NES/ SNES and so on. There is no Golden age of gaming, gaming has always been golden, it's just changing as it has become more mainstream.

What do you mean people I troll?
---
Sony Fanboy: "PS4 sold the most again this month!" Sony Fan: "Who cares dude?" Sony Fanboy: ":'("
#22aj4x94Posted 8/2/2014 11:58:21 PM
To say the least, it could use some improvement.
---
Playing: Half Life 2, Mirror's Edge, Vampire The Masquerade, System Shock 2, Borderlands 2, Mass Effect 3
PSN: T-Snake94, XBL: T-Snake 94, Steam ID: T_Snake94
#23Spetsnaz420Posted 8/3/2014 12:59:48 AM
Jedi454 posted...
Spetsnaz420 posted...

Jedi454 posted...
Spetsnaz420 posted...
Frankly, the industry is circling the porcelain bowl and morons are cheering it on. Gaming as a fun hobby is a mere shadow of its former self. Games are released broken, less content in favour of DLC, yearly releases, remakes, rehashes, subscription services, innovation takes a back seat to familiarity and worst of all, games are stupidly easy now so casual won't be scared off.

There's a reason 20 year old games are still selling well on various platforms, they were good, they were (generally) quality. Projects were often a labour of love, not an investment with too much risk to produce.

I'm sick to death at what my favorite past time has become... I'm more sick watching people being complacent with it.

GARBAGE

This guy is stuck in the past.

Yeah I guess expecting quality to increase over time is asking too much. Pull your head out of your ass... Because if you are happy where things are now, that's where it is, which is worse than burying it in the sand.

If being stuck in the past was my problem I wouldn't need to upgrade my video card or buy a next gen system.

Frankly people like you are a huge part of the problem, maybe you're too young to remember how things once were. But they were certainly better than this. Console wars were limited to the schoolyard and never went as far as it does now (thanks to the anonymity of the Internet and zero accountability).

I just don't see how anyone who knows what gaming can be could be OK with what it is currently.

Also Jedi... Maybe now you'll answer my question... What happened to you? I used to consider you to be at least a reasonable fan, now you're no better than the people you troll.... What happened?

Console wars are made up of a minority of the gaming community. You're much more informed on the games you buy now, things have improved and gone backwards, but at least you're aren't buying broken games like the ones that were on the NES/ SNES and so on. There is no Golden age of gaming, gaming has always been golden, it's just changing as it has become more mainstream.

What do you mean people I troll?

There weren't really broken games back then like they are now... What were the chances of a AAA developer from releasing a game as broken as say, BF4 for example. If a game got released like that, the magazines would have bashed it hard and no one would buy it. Now a broken game releases and idiots like me buy it thinking it'll be different this time... It almost never is.

I have to ask, we'r you a gamer in the late 80/90s? It was a different world. Anyways, it is my opinion there was a golden age, it was a long period stretching through much of my lifetime. But that's just how I feel.

I guess trolling isn't the right word... I would say you react far too defensively to stupid posts here... I don't know... You just seemed to handle things better before and it almost seems like you are lashing out.

pnut3844 posted...

And blocked.

That's not how a well adjusted human being should react to constructive criticism... I hope you handle yourself better in the real world. Guess the truth hurts : /
---
A sight for sore eyes to the blind would be awful majestic
#24InjusticeRebornPosted 8/3/2014 1:18:58 AM
I find I enjoy all of it, even the negative bits. I'm happy. 8D
---
A train station is where a train stops. A bus station is where a bus stops. What about my PlayStation?
#25Jedi454Posted 8/3/2014 1:59:17 AM
Spetsnaz420 posted...
There weren't really broken games back then like they are now... What were the chances of a AAA developer from releasing a game as broken as say, BF4 for example. If a game got released like that, the magazines would have bashed it hard and no one would buy it. Now a broken game releases and idiots like me buy it thinking it'll be different this time... It almost never is.

I have to ask, we'r you a gamer in the late 80/90s? It was a different world. Anyways, it is my opinion there was a golden age, it was a long period stretching through much of my lifetime. But that's just how I feel.

I guess trolling isn't the right word... I would say you react far too defensively to stupid posts here... I don't know... You just seemed to handle things better before and it almost seems like you are lashing out.

Lol I was born in 1994, but my first console was the NES and I had that for several years, then got a PS1, between having a PS1 and NES, I also played a lot of SNES at other people's places, so I had a lot of knowledge on gaming as it was, then I started using gaming sites when I was roughly 8 or 9 years old and came onto Gamefaqs when I was about 12, so my knowledge on gaming is pretty legitimate. This "Golden Age" you describe is you just getting nostalgic about games being more exciting to YOU as a child - teenager - early adult, now that you're older, you don't enjoy games as much, which would happen naturally as your priorities change.
---
Sony Fanboy: "PS4 sold the most again this month!" Sony Fan: "Who cares dude?" Sony Fanboy: ":'("
#26Run_2_the_HillsPosted 8/3/2014 2:09:17 AM
regsantotomas posted...
Gaming forums are fortunately not necessarily indicative of the larger gaming community. Besides, most of the people I game with are people I know in real life. Even when I play with randoms occasionally, my experience is usually a positive one.

I have been gaming a relatively long time. I've been playing since putting money into my first arcade machine in the late 70s. I don't lament about how it "used to be" or "how it should be".

The industry has moved from a fad to mainstream entertainment media.

I think that many people who complain have lost sight of the fact that there are more games available today than ever at nearly every price point. Yes, the industry isn't always going to go the particular way you want.

At the same time, there are avenues to provide feedback outside of just throwing fits on random forums.

I choose to invest and support games and solutions that matter to me and let the free market do its thing. It has, for the most part, worked out for me.

I plan to continue gaming for a long time.

It is still one of the best entertainment value. It is better and cheaper than it has ever been.

agree w/ this. while there are things that i dont like gaming is overall better today than it was even years ago.
#27Spetsnaz420Posted 8/3/2014 2:22:11 AM
Jedi454 posted...
Spetsnaz420 posted...

Lol I was born in 1994, but my first console was the NES and I had that for several years, then got a PS1, between having a PS1 and NES, I also played a lot of SNES at other people's places, so I had a lot of knowledge on gaming as it was, then I started using gaming sites when I was roughly 8 or 9 years old and came onto Gamefaqs when I was about 12, so my knowledge on gaming is pretty legitimate. This "Golden Age" you describe is you just getting nostalgic about games being more exciting to YOU as a child - teenager - early adult, now that you're older, you don't enjoy games as much, which would happen naturally as your priorities change.

You bring up a solid and difficult to dispute argument about nostalgia... However, I still play these games. I play them on a phone with a controller mostly now but I most certainly still play them. I was always naturally gifted at gaming so pretty much any game was a game I would try.

I know things certainly weren't perfect, but gaming was a different experience now. We have mind blowing GFX, realistic physics, detailed gory violence etc... Etc... Etc.. Why shouldn't I be more excited about gaming now?

It feels like quality isn't a main ingredient anymore. I could go on and on as to why I feel that way, but it's been said so many times already.

I would hate to think my viewpoint is seen through rose coloured glasses, these games, while being games I originally played as an 8 year old, are games that I've never stopped playing. I can't say that about much of anything from the past decade.

Also nice to have a civil conversation with you again :)
---
Don't mistake me for a troll, I'm just a nice guy who likes to debate/argue
#28slowdog76Posted 8/3/2014 2:55:08 AM
My turn :)

My birthday yesterday marked the beginning of my 34th year as a gamer. It's a long time, and I've seen everything over the years, sometimes being involved, sometimes watching from the side.

As it stands, I think the industry is the best it has ever been by a large margin. It may not have that excitement (for me) that it had in my youth, but it is so wide, varied and accepted now that games is neither seen as the niche "boys only" club it once was, and there is always something, somewhere to play. The quality of the games produced is vastly superior, in general, and whilst nostalgia tells us that the simplistic games of old were pure and in many ways better, when the rose tinted glasses are removed, the harsh reality is that that notion is generally not true. One need only look at the quality of the latest FIFA in comparison to Sensible Soccer. Whilst the latter may well be fun, it doesn't have the lasting depth and quality that the modern football titles possess.

Despite what worry warts will claim, the industry has always moved forward, always innovated, and never stood still. Sometimes the innovation comes at the expense of an industry standard, and people worry and complain, but truly, the things that remain strengthen, the things that don't fall by the wayside. I remember the complaints at the original Xbox ignoring dial-up connections, yet it was the right move. I remember the complaints at season passes, and watched them fail. I remember the jokes as Sega tried to push CD's into the market, and smiled as the PlayStation was embraced and became a phenomenon. So, with all the concerns over some industry practices now, I know that if the games playing public world-wide like something, it will succeed, and if they don't it will go the way of R.O.B. People have, will, and will continue to vote with their wallets, and no amount of kids in playgrounds stamping their feet in anger, or tapping on their keyboards will change that.

Perceived problems with the assorted gaming communities are just that. Perceived. The internet gives everyone a voice, but doesn't always give the voice a face. It allows the disruptive and the social inept to explore their deficiencies with little to no risk. It allows the socio paths, psychopaths and the Machiavellian to amplify. They have always been there, but in the past there was no way to hear the ramblings of people you didn't know "across the pond". The world is full of nut-jobs, but they are outweighed completely by honest, normal, decent human beings. The gaming community on all sides is full of them. To find them, all you have to do is look for the quiet voices in the maelstrom of lunacy.

The internet has increased the general technical knowledge of the average gamer. The times, moving as they are, have afforded people the opportunity to expand their favourite hobby past just owning one console, or PC. Now, folks game on multiple devices. It is this that has lead to all the talk of resolution and frames per second. Just 9 years ago, at the launch of the 360, there were no talk about any of that in the console playing community. People gamed on a console, or a pc, and that was it. When I look at games on my new console, I see games that look better than they did on the console I previously owned, and I compare it to that. Increased knowledge by the community at large, and increased playing options over the years means that they do not look at games the same way as folks of my age. They compare to gaming devices of all kinds. In 10 years time, you folks will sit on message boards, and you will get frustrated that the kids of the day or putting far too much importance on some new fad, whilst you will be arguing your corner and wondering why they are being completely nonchalant about the importance of resolution.

Times change, but games continue to give me great pleasure.
---
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
Confucius
#29Jedi454Posted 8/3/2014 3:22:43 AM
Spetsnaz420 posted...
Jedi454 posted...
Spetsnaz420 posted...

You bring up a solid and difficult to dispute argument about nostalgia... However, I still play these games. I play them on a phone with a controller mostly now but I most certainly still play them. I was always naturally gifted at gaming so pretty much any game was a game I would try.

I know things certainly weren't perfect, but gaming was a different experience now. We have mind blowing GFX, realistic physics, detailed gory violence etc... Etc... Etc.. Why shouldn't I be more excited about gaming now?

It feels like quality isn't a main ingredient anymore. I could go on and on as to why I feel that way, but it's been said so many times already.

I would hate to think my viewpoint is seen through rose coloured glasses, these games, while being games I originally played as an 8 year old, are games that I've never stopped playing. I can't say that about much of anything from the past decade.

Also nice to have a civil conversation with you again :)

Yeah you've got some good points. I haven't got "adrenaline rush" feeling to play a game since Mass Effect 3 (with the exception of Pokemon Y I guess lol), which was march 2012 I think and I normally if I do buy a game, i'm not in a rush to go home and play it as soon as I can. I'll do what ever else I have to do and eventually pick it up and play it, but I won't play it for an extended period of time like the way I used to. I think for me personally, the problem is me knowing too much about a game once it comes out. For example, you see gameplay from E3, you learn about the storyline, learn about some characters in the game and see more gameplay up until its release, so therefore I know too much about a game and I don't get that "Wow" effect on games.

Now what i've started doing is not viewing trailers, gameplay videos, not clicking on articles about characters or combat or the lore in the game, so that it's all a surprise to me. I think there is too many AAA developers/ publishers in the gaming industry now and they all end up competing against each other for sales, so games are made with less care. I still think there are a lot of games that are made with passion though.
---
#30Spetsnaz420Posted 8/3/2014 3:23:31 AM
slowdog76
snip

You make some decent arguments, but as far as quality goes, have you ever seen as many broken games released back then as we do now? We can patch it later is a horrible mindset for developers/publishers.

I really get why some would go to the rose coloured glasses argument... But that isn't always the case. Like me for example, I still own everything I games on as a kid and play lots of those games still... They are still fun after all these years. I rarely play through much of the newer releases more than once, and frankly a lot of that was for trophies (of course game had to be at least good to bother with it).

So you say you're as old as I am, why do we see things so differently? I don't think gaming is going away by any means, I'm afraid it's turning into what everything else that is as popular. A homogonized mess that's trying to hard to appeal to everyone. I'm tired of watered down difficulty to appeal to casuals, I'm tired of content locked from a game to sell DLC, I'm tired of what amounts to DLC trying to be sold as a full game, I'm tired to fight being nickled and dimed.

I miss in game cheats (put there by developers) for replay value, unlocking new costumes, characters, etc... You used to have to play the damn game to do that... Now it's all for sale.

Take into account what I'm saying in this specific post. Do you not have a problem with this?
---
Don't mistake me for a troll, I'm just a nice guy who likes to debate/argue