Do you feel developers are McDonald'sing the game industry?

#1Spetsnaz420Posted 8/2/2014 2:46:10 AM(edited)
OK I'm obviously not saying they are the only reason but what changed after 2004 to my favorite hobby? Everything has to suit everyone now.

It seems games are homogonized now and developers are afraid to challenge us. Games on NES/SNES were orders of magnitude harder and in many cases better than what we are getting now. Everyone is so afraid of losing a sale that they don't try anything new.

However as I type this, I keep coming back to the thought that's it's just as much our fault. Our fault for being OK with this, our fault for complaining every time something is challenging. It's a generation of the participation trophy. Everyone needs to feel special... Well that's bullhit. You aren't special, in life you get nothing for achieving nothing and nobody outside possibly your immediate family gives a flying crap about you unless they have something to gain from it.

Frig, no wonder gamers are often stereotyped as immature, it's like everyone is 5 years old expecting mommy to tell them they are special.

OK that was a rant... But I'll tell you, the drama on these boards does nothing to rouse me, but when I sit and think about how things currently are in the gaming world, it makes me sick.
---
A sight for sore eyes to the blind would be awful majestic
#2TenzhiPosted 8/2/2014 2:48:39 AM
Developers totally took away my delicious fried pies and deprived me of glorious Super Sizing.
---
Cheating has gone hand-in-hand with gaming for centuries. Video games in particular often have cheats built right into the game.
#3Spetsnaz420(Topic Creator)Posted 8/2/2014 2:50:09 AM
Tenzhi posted...
Developers totally took away my delicious fried pies and deprived me of glorious Super Sizing.

It was meant as a metaphor for catering to the lowest common denominator
---
A sight for sore eyes to the blind would be awful majestic
#4Run_2_the_HillsPosted 8/2/2014 2:52:31 AM
may...be...if...u...stop....looking...only....for....huge....AAA....titles....this...would....not....be....happening....to....you.

note: i like some AAA.
#5Sevi_neyPosted 8/2/2014 3:02:00 AM
Run_2_the_Hills posted...
may...be...if...u...stop....looking...only....for....huge....AAA....titles....this...would....not....be....happening....to....you.

note: i like some AAA.

This. AAA should be deemed on gameplay, not production cost.
---
Be careful when you fight monsters, lest you become one.
http://i.imgur.com/dew7OVr.jpg
#6TenzhiPosted 8/2/2014 3:07:13 AM
Spetsnaz420 posted...
It was meant as a metaphor for catering to the lowest common denominator

But it made me hungry for fried pies. :(

In any case, your metaphor lost me at "in life". Video games aren't life, they're a break from life. Relaxing entertainment. And I no longer harbour whatever bizarre masochistic desires I had as a kid that allowed me to enjoy games like ye olde Mega Man.
---
Cheating has gone hand-in-hand with gaming for centuries. Video games in particular often have cheats built right into the game.
#7miethaPosted 8/2/2014 3:09:03 AM
You've obviously never played a NISA game...
#8kayoticdreamzPosted 8/2/2014 4:00:03 AM
I love how everyone missed his point.

yes there are still niche titles just as their are still local fast food places, but by and large the things that sell, that get peoples attention are the mcdonalds of the world. like wise the things that sell in the gaming world are the halos, CODs, and marios of the world. and these big ticket titles have basically mcdonalded the industry by taking over and:

1. appealing to everyone
2. dumbing down the game(food) for a quicker buck as to not alienate anyone.

and then on the polar opposite end of the spectrum we have the dollar menu(your cheap 1 dollar flash games like angry birds).

so what we have here is everyone either goes for the dollar menu or the big mac....as a result nothing changes, the menu stays the same, the food quality the same or even worse, and everything in between gets lost and/or buried.

I think TC is right. games today must do certain things to be successful if they don't they get buried. a game must have online play, DLC, be easy to beat as to appeal t everyone, must have a tutorial, and have the big AAA feel to it or they must be a cheap and cheesy addicting game like angry birds. nearly everything else gets crushed.
#9sexymcpooPosted 8/2/2014 5:02:08 AM
ITT: Nerd Rage
---
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
PSN/GT - thedeanoshow
#10IzanamlPosted 8/2/2014 5:08:29 AM
I completely agree with TC. I find it so disgusting that there are people who avoid the Dark Souls series because of how hard it is. Is it hard? Yes. Is it great to find such a hard game in this generation of Fall of Duty, Battlefailed, and Dante may Cry? YES! Dark Souls was fantastic and I await new games that take a chance and be hard like it.
---
The Arcana is the means by which all is revealed.
"It is indeed a precious gift to understand the forces that guide oneself"- Arcana V The Hierophant