Upgrading From 26in 720 ---> 50in 1080p T.V.

#1Darkness3389Posted 8/2/2014 3:44:55 AM
Been playing on a 26in 720p Samsung for about 8 years and my new 50in 1080p LG is delivered tomorrow...will there be a huge different gaming on my Xbox One and watching 1080p movies from 720p?
---
GT- EndingEye - Patriots, Lakers, Dodgers, Galaxy & Kings Fan
Kobe Bryant 81 points V.S. Toronto Raptor 1/22/06 Historic
#2Spetsnaz420Posted 8/2/2014 3:47:56 AM
It depends on how far away from the TV you sit... If it's the same distance you'll notice... But only a handful of X1 games are in 1080p so far
---
A sight for sore eyes to the blind would be awful majestic
#3SubSeenixPosted 8/2/2014 3:48:52 AM(edited)
I recommend you start to sit further away

You will understand the joke if you were on the internet the past few months.

If you want to understand it i will help you.
Microsoft tries to downplay the difference between 1080p(PS4) compared to their mostly only 900p games and just says "You won't notice it if you sit a mile away"
#4Darkness3389(Topic Creator)Posted 8/2/2014 3:51:06 AM
I sit pretty close to my T.V. now like about 3-4 feet away. Laying on my bed I'm about 5 feet away.
---
#5miethaPosted 8/2/2014 4:19:18 AM(edited)
Honestly probably not as much as you would think. You WILL notice a difference in movies especially, but you are almost doubling the surface area and only going from 921,600 pixels to 2,073,600 pixels. So yes, it will be better, but not by that much. This is totally tangential, but I've never understood people's obsessions with huge tvs. A 26" 1080p tv has the exact same number of pixels as a 100" 1080p tv. And god, those old 60-80" SD tvs... I have no idea how anyone ever watched them. IMO 50" is pushing it for 1080p. It might still be ok, but 60" is way too big. You really need 4k at that size. I just hope you got one with a really good refresh rate. A slow refresh rate, IMO, is far worse for gaming than a lower resolution.

Short version: Yes, but not by much.
#6tadmfpolePosted 8/2/2014 4:24:21 AM
The screen size alone is going to wow the **** out of you for months until you fully get use to it.
---
my current game collection
http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/tadmfpole/games/owned
#7Darkness3389(Topic Creator)Posted 8/2/2014 4:28:21 AM
mietha posted...
Honestly probably not as much as you would think. You WILL notice a difference in movies especially, but you are almost doubling the surface area and only going from 921,600 pixels to 2,073,600 pixels. So yes, it will be better, but not by that much. This is totally tangential, but I've never understood people's obsessions with huge tvs. A 26" 1080p tv has the exact same number of pixels as a 100" 1080p tv. And god, those old 60-80" SD tvs... I have no idea how anyone ever watched them. IMO 50" is pushing it for 1080p. It might still be ok, but 60" is way too big. You really need 4k at that size. I just hope you got one with a really good refresh rate. A slow refresh rate, IMO, is far worse for gaming than a lower resolution.

Short version: Yes, but not by much.

The refresh rate is 120hz and looking up the input lag for gaming it got an great rating at 28ms from displaylag.
---
#8Darkness3389(Topic Creator)Posted 8/2/2014 4:29:09 AM
tadmfpole posted...
The screen size alone is going to wow the **** out of you for months until you fully get use to it.

Lol...I hope it does. I've never gotten a T.V. bigger then my 26 in Samsung.
---
#9EoinPosted 8/2/2014 4:34:30 AM
You shouldn't be viewing a 50-inch TV from the same distance as you view a 26-inch TV. For your viewing distance of about a metre, a 50-inch TV is too big.

A 50-inch 1080p TV has a pixel density of ~44 pixels per inch. Your current TV has a pixel density of ~60 pixels per inch (assuming that the resolution is really 1366x768, which is likely). At the same distance, individual pixels will be more easily noticeable, and images will appear blockier. You'll probably also have to strain yourself more to see the whole screen.

You should be looking to get about double the distance away from your new TV as from your old one. If that's not physically possible, you may find that your new TV sometimes looks noticeably worse than the old one (although upgrading from such an ancient TV may help, as it's likely to be worse than the new TV in all sorts of ways).

mietha posted...
You WILL notice a difference in movies especially, but you are almost doubling the surface area and only going from 921,600 pixels to 2,073,600 pixels.

That's more than doubling the surface area. The surface area of a 26-inch screen is 1864cm^2. For a 50-inch screen it's 6892cm^2 - almost quadruple.
#10quincy2000aPosted 8/2/2014 6:45:11 AM
Congrats! If you're not hard of seeing, my opinion is you should probably notice a BIG difference. Not gonna argue with people here who say different...but my first thought is that there is something wrong with either their vision or their TV.

In spite of Microsoft's attempt to keep us in the dark (in terms of graphics/resolution/fps), I own a 60" 1080p flat screen that I sit 6' to 7' away from.

Sit as close to or far from your TV as you like--your sight will tell you what is right for your. More controversy is this--there are different guides as to how far to sit away from your TV. I never followed them but when someone sent me this one, I realized this follows what I have been doing.

http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-entertainment/home-theater/hdtv-set-up/

The way I snipe heads (or try to) of players while playing B4 on those larger maps is a hoot. I can't see me going backwards in terms of size or technology.

And don't forget, go outside and play after a few hours--you can't sit on that couch all day, you need some physical activity. (I don't really believe that, but legally I think we're supposed to say that now...)
---
"Correct. Xbox One is Kinect." Microsoft VP
Really...seems this Day One Edition purchaser was "Madoff-ed by Microsoft."