Unique and Interesting mechanics you'd love to see return?

#1SigmaLongshotPosted 8/2/2014 11:54:06 AM
This thread is dedicated to all those cool, interesting, or simply incredibly functional mechanics and nuances in certain games that were so well implemented or developed that you can't understand why more games don't use them!

Everything from the way you use an item, to the way a story is told, or little indicators on the GUI, that make a game special, that somehow flew under the radar, never to be seen again.

Let's here all those unique gaming mechanics you'd love to see return in future games, XB1 Forum chaps and fe-chaps!
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#2SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 8/2/2014 11:55:58 AM
My very first input to the thread comes as I do my second playthrough of NiER on the Xbox 360.

On your second playthrough, it adds all-new dialogue from the perspective of the enemy that makes the entire playthrough seem questionable in morality. If you knew the lives and fears of your enemy, would you demonise them so much?

It's really a fantastic element that would be well-suited to many games, and gives real weight to previous actions.
---
#3pnut3844Posted 8/2/2014 12:11:28 PM
If anyone has ever played the gamecube exclusive "eternal darkness" then they know the mechanics were epic. It's basically a resident evil/alone in the dark type game where you play different characters throughout time, and you have to fight these monsters. You have a health meter, a mana meter for spells where you combine different runes to form different spells, and an insanity meter. That's right, an insanity meter. By far the coolest mechanic I've ever seen. How it works is everytime you see a monster the meter drops. As it drops you slowly lose your sanity and start experiencing horrific things, hallucinations such as your head falling off, you shrinking, the entire room being upside down etc. But by far the coolest aspect of the insanity meter is, not only does it mess with your character, it messes with you the gamer. The coolest ones that spring to mind are: "seeing" a fly walk across the tv, the volume turning up or even muting on its own, the tv turning off, and the scariest one is when you save your game it says "game deleted, restarting". Of course none of these things are happening but it's freaking awesome. Now think about this, with the xbone being integrated with the tv, it could actually do these things. Throw in the kinect to mess with you and you have one of most epic remakes ever. I should start a topic about that lol.
#4SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 8/2/2014 12:24:44 PM
pnut3844 posted...
If anyone has ever played the gamecube exclusive "eternal darkness" then they know the mechanics were epic. It's basically a resident evil/alone in the dark type game where you play different characters throughout time, and you have to fight these monsters. You have a health meter, a mana meter for spells where you combine different runes to form different spells, and an insanity meter. That's right, an insanity meter. By far the coolest mechanic I've ever seen. How it works is everytime you see a monster the meter drops. As it drops you slowly lose your sanity and start experiencing horrific things, hallucinations such as your head falling off, you shrinking, the entire room being upside down etc. But by far the coolest aspect of the insanity meter is, not only does it mess with your character, it messes with you the gamer. The coolest ones that spring to mind are: "seeing" a fly walk across the tv, the volume turning up or even muting on its own, the tv turning off, and the scariest one is when you save your game it says "game deleted, restarting". Of course none of these things are happening but it's freaking awesome. Now think about this, with the xbone being integrated with the tv, it could actually do these things. Throw in the kinect to mess with you and you have one of most epic remakes ever. I should start a topic about that lol.

I wholeheartedly agree with Eternal Darkness - fantastic game and concept.

Interesting you should bring up Kinect - a week ago I pitched an idea for "Fear Eater" - as the Kinect 2.0 can detect heartbeat, I pitched a game where you were stalked by a demon that could locate and kill you based on your level of fear, which would be monitored by Kinect. Lose control and it would locate and devour you.

You could incorporate sanity effects quite nicely with this particular mechanic!

Good shout mate.
---
#5Gunvalkyrie2Posted 8/2/2014 1:30:09 PM
Overlord. Commanding minions is awesome
---
We're playin' those mind games together
Pushin' the barriers, plantin' seeds
#6SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 8/2/2014 1:41:51 PM
Gunvalkyrie2 posted...
Overlord. Commanding minions is awesome

I personally think it's important to have NPC comrades alongside you with relatable attitudes. One of the most influential human natures is the one to connect, and so many games refuse to give you a constant connection. Commanded or otherwise, it's important in gaming to never be without pals in a game.
---
#7duericPosted 8/2/2014 1:55:27 PM
Braid's time bending thing was pretty dope.
---
"It's like people using the internet have never heard of the internet." - SadHillShowdown Gamefaqs member
#8da_StoOgePosted 8/2/2014 3:57:34 PM
Siren series: being able to see through your enemies eyes.

Nothing is scarier than hiding in a toilet cubicle, unarmed and completely defenceless, only to switch to the view point of an enemy as they walk into the men's room and methodically start searching each and every cubicle.

Final Fantasy VII: Limit Breaks.

Am I the only one that thinks they've turned to crap after this entry? They were possibly my favourite part of FFVII. Earning progressively more powerful limits was extremely rewarding, but in subsequent games the number of limits per character was severely decreased, they were less and less powerful, and some even required a bunch of annoying inputs that turned them into more of a chore than anything else.

Lulu's joystick rotating limit anyone?

D Souls/ Watch_Dogs: multiplayer invasion mode.

The more games this is in the better. I can't get enough of screwing up someone else's game only to have some other bastard try and do the same to me.

Street Fighter Third Strike:: Perfect counter system.

Nothing pleases me more than knowing that if I invested enough time into a game and got good enough at it, I could get to some sort of Super Saiyan like level where no one else could harm me.

Evo moment 37; the greatest moment in gaming of all time ever:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KS7hkwbKmBM

Abe's Exoddus: Possessing and then detonating farts.

No other game wants it, but I wish they did. :(
---
"It was the patient, cut-flower sound of a man who is waiting to die."
#9KID VIDPosted 8/2/2014 4:11:18 PM
Perfect Dark: second player gets to control all the enemies in a mission and tries to stop player one from completing said mission.

One thing I wish shooters will stop doing is the grenade indicators. If I throw a grenade at you and you don't see where it landed, then I think it's only fair that you get blown up by it.
---
Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KIDD VIDD
#10OrgeLambartPosted 8/2/2014 4:14:00 PM
hot coffee
---
Xboxlive - Orge Lambart , Steam ID - Orge Lambart, PSN - Orgelambart