Unique and Interesting mechanics you'd love to see return?

#11holden4everPosted 8/2/2014 5:16:26 PM
Mace Griffin: Bounty Hunter

Seamless transition from space battles to FPS gameplay. No Man's Sky does something similar but I want it more like MG:BH set in the Freelancer universe with trading and exploring.
---
http://thebulldogs.com.au/media/logo_2010.png http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j137/holden4ever/ripqld.jpg
#12KID VIDPosted 8/2/2014 5:19:37 PM
da_StoOge posted...
Evo moment 37; the greatest moment in gaming of all time ever:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KS7hkwbKmBM

I agree. When I first saw this like 8-9 years ago, I got goosebumps on my arm. This is the greatest comeback ever. I probably added 1000 views to that video over all these years.
---
Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KIDD VIDD
#13billsfanno1Posted 8/2/2014 5:20:32 PM
I want the paint mechanic from Jet Grind Radio adapted to Kinect. Could be the greatest Kinect game ever made.
#14pnut3844Posted 8/2/2014 5:22:38 PM
SigmaLongshot posted...
pnut3844 posted...
If anyone has ever played the gamecube exclusive "eternal darkness" then they know the mechanics were epic. It's basically a resident evil/alone in the dark type game where you play different characters throughout time, and you have to fight these monsters. You have a health meter, a mana meter for spells where you combine different runes to form different spells, and an insanity meter. That's right, an insanity meter. By far the coolest mechanic I've ever seen. How it works is everytime you see a monster the meter drops. As it drops you slowly lose your sanity and start experiencing horrific things, hallucinations such as your head falling off, you shrinking, the entire room being upside down etc. But by far the coolest aspect of the insanity meter is, not only does it mess with your character, it messes with you the gamer. The coolest ones that spring to mind are: "seeing" a fly walk across the tv, the volume turning up or even muting on its own, the tv turning off, and the scariest one is when you save your game it says "game deleted, restarting". Of course none of these things are happening but it's freaking awesome. Now think about this, with the xbone being integrated with the tv, it could actually do these things. Throw in the kinect to mess with you and you have one of most epic remakes ever. I should start a topic about that lol.

I wholeheartedly agree with Eternal Darkness - fantastic game and concept.

Interesting you should bring up Kinect - a week ago I pitched an idea for "Fear Eater" - as the Kinect 2.0 can detect heartbeat, I pitched a game where you were stalked by a demon that could locate and kill you based on your level of fear, which would be monitored by Kinect. Lose control and it would locate and devour you.

You could incorporate sanity effects quite nicely with this particular mechanic!

Good shout mate.

I really wish devs would start utilizing the kinect and it's awesome capabilities. There's so many good ideas I have for it, and I know if I can come up with them they sure can. Seems like they're just lazy and want stick to the same old bs that always sells. Someone needs to break the mold with this hardware. Everyone is saying the kinect sucks and is useless but that's not MS fault, they gave them the tools to work with, but devs have gotten too lazy and monotonous. Sure I enjoy a good fps but how many of those do we have now? Someone be original already.
#15pnut3844Posted 8/2/2014 5:43:58 PM
dueric posted...
Braid's time bending thing was pretty dope.

I've seen gameplay and it basically copied prince of Persia but made it infinite. What's fun about never being able to die?
#16da_StoOgePosted 8/2/2014 5:45:43 PM
pnut3844 posted...
dueric posted...

I've seen gameplay and it basically copied prince of Persia but made it infinite. What's fun about never being able to die?

Umm, the puzzles both games built around such a mechanic.

...and you can die in every PoP except the reboot.
---
"It was the patient, cut-flower sound of a man who is waiting to die."
#17pnut3844Posted 8/2/2014 5:48:38 PM
da_StoOge posted...
pnut3844 posted...
dueric posted...

Umm, the puzzles both games built around such a mechanic.

...and you can die in every PoP except the reboot.

I was referring to the time mechanic. Its just like PoP. Except infinite. Which means in braid, not PoP, you can't die
#18BobbyCrougarPosted 8/2/2014 6:46:59 PM
GTAIV
Failing a mission would open up new conversions if you were driving with someone. Even went as far to have dialogue depending on the vehicles you used. Packie had great one liners while I was flying a Chopper.

Socom 2
Reloading with a mag not empty, mag would not be thrown away. Possibly only containing one bullet after your next reload. Had some crazy kills knowing I only had a few shots to pull it off.

Midnight club 2
Driving on two wheels was originally implemented for driving between traffic but after many hours it turned into a means of precise cornering for insane race times once perfected.
---
Soon we will all have to make the choice between what is right and what is easy
#19natrapslivePosted 8/2/2014 9:38:04 PM
KID VID posted...
Perfect Dark: second player gets to control all the enemies in a mission and tries to stop player one from completing said mission.

One thing I wish shooters will stop doing is the grenade indicators. If I throw a grenade at you and you don't see where it landed, then I think it's only fair that you get blown up by it.

Agreed
---
Xbox Live Gamertag: natraps
#20TenzhiPosted 8/2/2014 10:54:08 PM
I want to roll up the cosmos again. There are so many things.
---
Cheating has gone hand-in-hand with gaming for centuries. Video games in particular often have cheats built right into the game.