Most Pretentious Video Game Developer?

#111nis750Posted 8/4/2014 10:00:49 AM
Gamers in internet gaming forum
#112scoobydoobydontPosted 8/4/2014 10:01:16 AM
I don't think people calling TLOU pretentious actually played it. I thought the same thing when I quit playing the first time, I was sure it was Children of Men: the Game with no redeeming value and it would end up being a preachy and pretentious crappy story with intermittent shootbang. But then I gave it a second chance. It wasn't any of that. Literally the only criticisms I can level at it is it would have been nice if you could play as Ellie more (or even choose which you played as whenever her and Joel were together) and I wish an all stealth/no-kill playthrough was possible (if really difficult). But those are minor issues considering everything it did right.
---
http://i.imgur.com/8LUhEFG.jpg
#113ChiliPupPosted 8/4/2014 10:19:28 AM
It was SO incredibly pretentious of Naughty Dog to give itself over 200 game of the year awards for The Last Of Us. I mean, it doesn't get more pretentious than that.
---
[This moderator or administrator was deleted at the request of this message.]
#114BlueJester007Posted 8/4/2014 10:32:05 AM
L4YER_CAKE posted...
Really? This many pages and we're all just going to let "Kevin Levine" slide? If y'all are going to wax intellectual about this crap you can at least get the ****ing guys name right.

My mistake. Used to have a roommate that went by Ken when his actual name was Kevin.

So yes, ahem, Ken Levine is one of the most pretentious developers in the game industry. The less pseudo-intellectual bulls*** he makes, the better.
---
We get to the end of the hallway and take a f***in' s***!
#115GladiatorDanger(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2014 11:07:35 AM
BDJayce posted...
GladiatorDanger posted...
BDJayce posted...
snakes_codec posted...
How does Naughty Dog make the list they talk a big game but I wouldn't call them pretentious as there games generally deliver what they claim?.

Nobody really seems to say anything more as to the why beyond the "They made The Last of Us!" whatever that means.

It means the Last of Us was incredibly pretentious

How? They didn't make too many promises and the ones they did they seemed to follow through on. I don't get how The Last of Us is pretentious. This seems more like jealousy on the parts of the posters to be quite honest. "Oh it's on the Playstation and not the Xbox?! So pretentious."

So please explain to me how it was pretentious beyond "it just is." And even IF they were pretentious with ONE game, which it doesn't seem like they were imho, it still doesn't put them over PM and Lionhead Studios or Infinity Ward and Call of Duty or plenty of others. Defend those other companies all you like but it doesn't change the facts.

To label them "Most Pretentious" because of one game is damn pretentious in itself.

Hey I never said Naughty Dog was the most pretentious (my vote goes to Quantic Dream) and while I agree it is a little unfair for them to be called most pretentious for one game I am merely explaining why people might view the developer as pretentious.

As for why the Last of Us is pretentious where do I begin? Well for starters it is clear that the game is trying it's hardest to distract the player from the fact that the game has nothing special to offer in terms of gameplay by focusing on cinematic presentation and story in what is essentially a linear action game, the story is the same old cliched bull**** about how people inevitably become anusholes as soon as the world turns to ****, throw in the guy who has lost everything that somehow manages to love again and the innocent young girl who must abandon her child like innocence in order to survive, a lesbian kiss between 2 underage teens that has no relevance to the plot whatsoever but is justified because "art" and a whole bunch of cheap scenes that try to illicit emotion by showing the characters being all emotional and stuff that serve no real purpose other than to try to convince the player that the game is more artisically inspired than other games. That is why the Last of Us is pretentious.
#116ChiliPupPosted 8/4/2014 11:13:56 AM
GladiatorDanger posted...
As for why the Last of Us is pretentious where do I begin? Well for starters it is clear that the game is trying it's hardest to distract the player from the fact that the game has nothing special to offer in terms of gameplay by focusing on cinematic presentation and story in what is essentially a linear action game, the story is the same old cliched bull**** about how people inevitably become anusholes as soon as the world turns to ****, throw in the guy who has lost everything that somehow manages to love again and the innocent young girl who must abandon her child like innocence in order to survive, a lesbian kiss between 2 underage teens that has no relevance to the plot whatsoever but is justified because "art" and a whole bunch of cheap scenes that try to illicit emotion by showing the characters being all emotional and stuff that serve no real purpose other than to try to convince the player that the game is more artisically inspired than other games. That is why the Last of Us is pretentious.

Hey, I feel ya, buddy. Maybe it should have won over 200 Most Pretentious Game of the Year awards lol.

But it didn't.
---
[This moderator or administrator was deleted at the request of this message.]
#117Spider5800Posted 8/4/2014 11:36:26 AM
Kojima and Molyneux themselves are both pretty pretentious guys, but at least their games have some decent gameplay in them, and while Naughty Dog's games have fairly generic gameplay I always liked their characters and dialogue.

Quantic Dream games have crap stories AND no gameplay. Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls were both interactive movies with ridiculous stories and characters. They were "games" in only the loosest sense of the word, they felt more like digital choose-your-own adventure novels with no real substance.

Then David Cage makes speeches about how his games are so emotional and artistic and you just wanna slap him. Textbook example of a guy who thinks he's more talented than he really is.
---
The big brain am winning again! I am the greetest! Now I am leaving Earth for no raisin!
#118scoobydoobydontPosted 8/4/2014 11:42:07 AM
That rambling drivel about TLOU is the weakest argument I've ever seen on this forum, and I've made some pretty damn weak arguments myself.

*changes tag for Gladiator from "Not a true Xbro!" to "Pretentious Homophobe"*
---
http://i.imgur.com/8LUhEFG.jpg
#119Spider5800Posted 8/4/2014 11:45:13 AM
Also, all the votes for EA make me think a lot of people don't know what the definition of pretentious is.

preĚtenĚtious
adjective
attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.

EA is the exact opposite of pretentious. They don't emphasize how important or talented they are as a company, they emphasize how fun it is to hit people in football and make explosions by shooting barrels with assault rifles. They are the Michael Bay's of video games.
---
The big brain am winning again! I am the greetest! Now I am leaving Earth for no raisin!
#120GladiatorDanger(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2014 11:55:02 AM(edited)
scoobydoobydont posted...
That rambling drivel about TLOU is the weakest argument I've ever seen on this forum, and I've made some pretty damn weak arguments myself.

This argument being one of them?

scoobydoobydont posted...
*changes tag for Gladiator from "Not a true Xbro!" to "Pretentious Homophobe"*

I have nothing against homosexuality, it is the hebephilia I take issue with.