Most Pretentious Video Game Developer?

#131allensdinerPosted 8/4/2014 2:18:18 PM
GladiatorDanger posted...
scoobydoobydont posted...
This argument being one of them?

Nah, your entire critique is simply wrong. I mean factually incorrect, not just morally such as the poorly veiled homophobia that is the only basis for one of your biggest complaints. There was nothing shocking or in poor taste or needless about the scene, it was just a humanizing moment revealing more blatantly a facet of the character that was already implied in the base game. Your argument is entirely you making excuses so you can project your obvious bigotry, and possibly to further justify your fanboyism. I'm not sure which is a greater factor, but both should make you feel embarrassed. I know you won't though.

Son that strawman isn't going to get you anywhere and resulting to such low tactics such as falsely calling me a homophobe and a fanboy only highlights how desperate you are to discredit my arguments despite having no real valid arguments yourself.

I will admit that the kissing scene was innocent enough but at the same time it was pushing the boundries of good taste, I could perhaps accept it if it were a totally vital part to the story and there was no other way to get whatever point it was they were trying to get across without that scene but as it stands I do not see why it needed to be included, the only reason I can see for it's inclusion was to try and create controversy not over the fact that it was to female's kissing (though Naughty Dog would try to spin it that way in order to make them look like the champions of social justice as you have as well, another good example of pretentiousness) but over the fact that the 2 females are both underage. But if you are so keen to defend this scene then by all means tell me what the point of this scene was? How was this scene absolutely vital to the story? And how would the DLC have been any poorer without it?

For crying out loud, just watch any soap opera ever and tell me the last of us is going too far lol
#132BlueJester007Posted 8/4/2014 2:42:35 PM
popping4it posted...
its like people dont even know what the word pretentious means....

preĚtenĚtious - attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.

Just so everybody has an idea.
---
We get to the end of the hallway and take a f***in' s***!
#133GladiatorDanger(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2014 2:59:41 PM
allensdiner posted...

Nah, your entire critique is simply wrong. I mean factually incorrect, not just morally such as the poorly veiled homophobia that is the only basis for one of your biggest complaints. There was nothing shocking or in poor taste or needless about the scene, it was just a humanizing moment revealing more blatantly a facet of the character that was already implied in the base game. Your argument is entirely you making excuses so you can project your obvious bigotry, and possibly to further justify your fanboyism. I'm not sure which is a greater factor, but both should make you feel embarrassed. I know you won't though.

Son that strawman isn't going to get you anywhere and resulting to such low tactics such as falsely calling me a homophobe and a fanboy only highlights how desperate you are to discredit my arguments despite having no real valid arguments yourself.

I will admit that the kissing scene was innocent enough but at the same time it was pushing the boundries of good taste, I could perhaps accept it if it were a totally vital part to the story and there was no other way to get whatever point it was they were trying to get across without that scene but as it stands I do not see why it needed to be included, the only reason I can see for it's inclusion was to try and create controversy not over the fact that it was to female's kissing (though Naughty Dog would try to spin it that way in order to make them look like the champions of social justice as you have as well, another good example of pretentiousness) but over the fact that the 2 females are both underage. But if you are so keen to defend this scene then by all means tell me what the point of this scene was? How was this scene absolutely vital to the story? And how would the DLC have been any poorer without it?

For crying out loud, just watch any soap opera ever and tell me the last of us is going too far lol

I never said the Last of Us went too far, I said it was pretentious just like a soap opera and with writing on par with one too!

The scene in question is but a mere example of the scenes that were included in the Last of Us for disingenuous reasons of which there are many more, the fact is the game was designed in such a way to give off the impression that it is more artistically driven and deep than it really is as well as hide the fact that the game brings nothing new or interesting to the table and that is why the Last of Us is so pretentious, perhaps not David Cage levels of pretentiousness but still pretty damn pretentious nonetheless.
#134vivalabuck92Posted 8/4/2014 3:23:59 PM
Spider5800 posted...
Kojima and Molyneux themselves are both pretty pretentious guys, but at least their games have some decent gameplay in them, and while Naughty Dog's games have fairly generic gameplay I always liked their characters and dialogue.

Quantic Dream games have crap stories AND no gameplay. Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls were both interactive movies with ridiculous stories and characters. They were "games" in only the loosest sense of the word, they felt more like digital choose-your-own adventure novels with no real substance.

Then David Cage makes speeches about how his games are so emotional and artistic and you just wanna slap him. Textbook example of a guy who thinks he's more talented than he really is.

Word.
---
Gamertag: NeverTooWhite
#135ACHEEKSMALLOYPosted 8/4/2014 4:03:00 PM
TheeLeeham posted...
Hideo Kojima/Metal Gear Solid

this. kojima thinks he's a god and so do his braindead fanboys.
---
Gamertag: ALMIGHTY CHEEKS
http://almighty-cheeks.deviantart.com/
#136LEGEND_725Posted 8/4/2014 4:11:15 PM

It was thrown in homosexuality to pander to the homosexual society and make the shallow and lack luster Dlc appear "deep and compelling" just another fake emotional trick among many they used to blind you to how mediocre that game is.
---
Lift. Game. Academics. Party. = LIFE. Best mod dispute ever? http://i.imgur.com/db7oluz.jpg. Official dudebro of any forum... I lift more than you
#137NeoMonkPosted 8/4/2014 4:13:31 PM
Ubisoft

They lie for the sake of lying...
Look at the Crew... they touted it would take you 2 hours to get from 1 end to the map to the other...
It actually takes 36 minutes....
WHY LIE? The game was basically niche when revealed..... AC & The Tom Clancy game overshadowed it... Watchdogs at the time was supposed to be the end all be all of gaming... This game didn't need any sort of bad publicity if they simply kept it real... Then we learned the number of cars being pathetic, we learned that the map isn't a big as it is... and the controls are trash...

Notice how I'm just using 1 game as an example... Now multiply this by every freaking tittle they release...
I don't understand how they keep getting pass... probably because it's "COOL" to hate on EA... even tho' at this point they're the lesser of 2 evils.
---
*Demands Sony and Nintendo release NEW games but is excited to play 10 year old remakes in Halo Collection* -XBOX1 Forums
#138AenemanPosted 8/4/2014 4:17:21 PM
Thatgamecompany. Flow, Flower, Journey. I do enjoy their games but can't deny they're pretentious.

Of the OPs list, I'd only say Quantic Dream, whose games I enjoy as well. I dont think I'd qualify a single other game from any of those other devs as pretentious. The devs themselves I can't really comment on since I don't read alot on their personal history or comments, only judging by the games they've made.
---
"Mornin'!"
"Mornin'... best time of day to go f*** yourself!"
#139SixStringHeroPosted 8/4/2014 4:17:57 PM
pwnater777 posted...
SixStringHero posted...
Naughty Dog takes it for their Left Behind DLC.

Because adding on to story = being pretentious?

Sounds like fanboys bashing ND just for the sake of bashing ND.

I own TLoU and I already said I consider it to be a fantastic game.

It's the DLC Left Behind that I find to be incredibly pretentious. How much actual game play and combat is in the DLC? The majority of the DLC is spent watching cut scenes or Riley and Ellie interacting with each other in a store. It really felt like David Cage took the reigns on this DLC with how little actual substantial game play there was.

Not to mention the relationship that felt incredibly forced and added nothing to the story.
---
I don't care about the altitude, I just want another drink.
#140LukenatmePosted 8/4/2014 5:12:02 PM
As a gamer since about '84, I have always felt Square-Enix epitomizes pretentiousness, with Kojima's Metal Gear series not far behind. Just the long-winded presentation found in the cut-scenes, even to start the darn games, is so over the top that it wears me out before I'm even controlling the action.