Titanfall Hits 2 Million Sold on Xbox One, 3 Million Combined

#71Rancid_SkankPosted 8/5/2014 6:21:46 AM
MetroidFan9999 posted...
Rancid_Skank posted...
It's well known that NPD data doesn't track digital downloads, only physical sales, and that's part of the projection that lolvgchartz use in their figures.

You would find it relatively easily if you weren't pretending not to already know to help fuel your fantasy.

Bundles are bundles, whether a physical game is inside the box or not, it is still sold at retail, which is what NPD tracks. Both assuredly track DIGITAL RETAIL. You are right about purely DIGITAL DOWNLOAD.

I think the only one fantasizing here is you.

Still dead wrong mate.

Bundles fall under the hardware category, not software and are tracked as such.

Even if it did somehow fall under software, NPD doesn't track digital sales for console games. Whether you call it digital retail or digital download, it doesn't matter. It's something they have been looking into for years, but as they don't have a reliable method of tracking them, they do not publish the numbers.

I take it you have already forgotten the many, many times this was posted the month after Titanfall came out? Wilfully forgotten I'd wager.
---
GT: RancidSkank
PSN: Rancid_UK
#72Rancid_SkankPosted 8/5/2014 6:23:05 AM
TheGam3925 posted...
Rancid_Skank posted...
It's well known that NPD data doesn't track digital downloads, only physical sales, and that's part of the projection that lolvgchartz use in their figures.

You would find it relatively easily if you weren't pretending not to already know to help fuel your fantasy.

Is lolvgchartz your source then? Last I checked that site wasn't deemed credible by Xbox fanboys.

Errr, have you even read the thread? LOLchartz is the source quoted in the OP.

I assumed my calling it 'lolvgchartz' would indicate how seriously I take them...

>_>
---
#73MetroidFan9999Posted 8/5/2014 6:26:56 AM
Rancid_Skank posted...
MetroidFan9999 posted...
Rancid_Skank posted...

Bundles are bundles, whether a physical game is inside the box or not, it is still sold at retail, which is what NPD tracks. Both assuredly track DIGITAL RETAIL. You are right about purely DIGITAL DOWNLOAD.

Still dead wrong mate.

Even if it did somehow fall under software, NPD doesn't track digital sales for console games. Whether you call it digital retail or digital download, it doesn't matter. It's something they have been looking into for years, but as they don't have a reliable method of tracking them, they do not publish the numbers.

I take it you have already forgotten the many, many times this was posted the month after Titanfall came out? Wilfully forgotten I'd wager.

Ok explain Wii Sports then. Forget what NPD says about this game, go to vgchartz and look for yourself. Clearly 80 million+ people bought this alone, right?

And explain why you are under the notion that Vgchartz numbers are NPD. NPD has clearly stated they do not track DIGITAL GAME SALES. They say nothing about digital retail, which, again, is a retail product that can be reported just the same by the retailer.

Why are you under the notion that a sku with a bundled digital game is untrackable now?
---
For a good laugh - http://misterxmedia.livejournal.com/
#74TheGam3925Posted 8/5/2014 6:29:29 AM
Rancid_Skank posted...
TheGam3925 posted...
Rancid_Skank posted...

Is lolvgchartz your source then? Last I checked that site wasn't deemed credible by Xbox fanboys.

I assumed my calling it 'lolvgchartz' would indicate how seriously I take them...

>_>

So do you have a source or not?
---
Reviews? Polls? Sales? Resolution? FPS? Nothing matters now except for what the competition does not have.
#75Rancid_SkankPosted 8/5/2014 6:33:56 AM
MetroidFan9999 posted...
Rancid_Skank posted...
MetroidFan9999 posted...
Rancid_Skank posted...

Still dead wrong mate.

Ok explain Wii Sports then. Forget what NPD says about this game, go to vgchartz and look for yourself. Clearly 80 million+ people bought this alone, right?

And explain why you are under the notion that Vgchartz numbers are NPD. NPD has clearly stated they do not track DIGITAL GAME SALES. They say nothing about digital retail, which, again, is a retail product that can be reported just the same by the retailer.

Why are you under the notion that a sku with a bundled digital game is untrackable now?

'Ok explain Wii Sports then. Forget what NPD says about this game, go to vgchartz and look for yourself. Clearly 80 million+ people bought this alone, right?'

VGchartz make numbers up based on how they *think* consoles/games are selling by extrapolating information from a variety of sources. That's how they have it at 80m+ sold.

'And explain why you are under the notion that Vgchartz numbers are NPD.'

I'm not. I clearly stated that NPD is ONE of the sources that VGchartz use when coming up with their figures. I went on to explain that NPD doesn't track digital sales, as a way to underline the fantasy behind this entire discussion.

I could have explained further that NPD only tracks about 65% of US retailers, and also extrapolates the rest of their data using software algorhythms further clouding the numbers...

'They say nothing about digital retail, which, again, is a retail product that can be reported just the same by the retailer. '

They aren't though, are they. That's why Sony and MS report shipped numbers most of the time, and only sold through numbers when they are confident they have sold out of their allocation. If the retailers reported this, we'd get sold through numbers every time.

'Why are you under the notion that a sku with a bundled digital game is untrackable now?'

For the reasons above, and because it has been stated many, many times by people in the industry. Physical retail sales only.
---
#76MetroidFan9999Posted 8/5/2014 6:40:56 AM
Rancid_Skank posted...
VGchartz make numbers up based on how they *think* consoles/games are selling by extrapolating information from a variety of sources. That's how they have it at 80m+ sold.

No, they are counting bundles. This article is based on VGchartz "extrapolation" too. NPD didn't report these numbers, VGchartz did. So the 2 million that VGChartz claims, would most assuredly include bundles. How can you even refute that? Oh right, it doesn't fit your argument.

I'm not. I clearly stated that NPD is ONE of the sources that VGchartz use when coming up with their figures. I went on to explain that NPD doesn't track digital sales, as a way to underline the fantasy behind this entire discussion.

I could have explained further that NPD only tracks about 65% of US retailers, and also extrapolates the rest of their data using software algorhythms further clouding the numbers...

No, you are stating one thing and trying to force the same criteria on another...I.E. you are stating NPD is doing one thing, and turning around claiming it's what this 2 million number consists of...which is what VGChartz claims.

They aren't though, are they. That's why Sony and MS report shipped numbers most of the time, and only sold through numbers when they are confident they have sold out of their allocation. If the retailers reported this, we'd get sold through numbers every time.

Why wouldn't they? It's a RETAIL product, this notion that it is somehow untrackable is asinine at best. The only thing NPD has stated is that they do not track DIGITAL SALES.

For the reasons above, and because it has been stated many, many times by people in the industry. Physical retail sales only.

No, nothing about physical at all, it's never stated. It's ALWAYS stated retail though, excluding DIGITAL SALES.
---
#77Rancid_SkankPosted 8/5/2014 6:41:08 AM
TheGam3925 posted...
Rancid_Skank posted...
TheGam3925 posted...
Rancid_Skank posted...

>_>

Aside from the NPD being labelled as a 'Retail sales report' you mean?

Michael Pachter Explains Why the NPD Canít and Wonít Track Digital Sales

http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/michael-pachter-explains-why-the-npd-cant-and-wont-track-digital-sales#.U-DscyZwakk

NPD Group, which only tracks retail sales

http://techcrunch.com/tag/npd/

This figure was taken from sales tracking company NPD, which only factors in retail units.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-05-06-titanfall-sold-925k-retail-copies-in-the-us-during-march

First 3 results in Google. Again, were you not clearly pretending to not know this you would have been able to find them relatively easily.
---
#78MetroidFan9999Posted 8/5/2014 6:43:35 AM
Rancid_Skank posted...
TheGam3925 posted...
Rancid_Skank posted...
TheGam3925 posted...
Rancid_Skank posted...

>_>

Aside from the NPD being labelled as a 'Retail sales report' you mean?

Michael Pachter Explains Why the NPD Canít and Wonít Track Digital Sales

http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/michael-pachter-explains-why-the-npd-cant-and-wont-track-digital-sales#.U-DscyZwakk

NPD Group, which only tracks retail sales

http://techcrunch.com/tag/npd/

This figure was taken from sales tracking company NPD, which only factors in retail units.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-05-06-titanfall-sold-925k-retail-copies-in-the-us-during-march

First 3 results in Google. Again, were you not clearly pretending to not know this you would have been able to find them relatively easily.

And nothing about PHYSICAL, only RETAIL excluding DIGITAL SALES. NPD cannot track digital sales simply because they don't have the same access to the networks and Sony/MS as they do with traditional online/brick+mortar retailers.
---
#79Rancid_SkankPosted 8/5/2014 6:44:46 AM
MetroidFan9999 posted...
Rancid_Skank posted...

No, they are counting bundles. This article is based on VGchartz "extrapolation" too. NPD didn't report these numbers, VGchartz did. So the 2 million that VGChartz claims, would most assuredly include bundles. How can you even refute that? Oh right, it doesn't fit your argument.

No, you are stating one thing and trying to force the same criteria on another...I.E. you are stating NPD is doing one thing, and turning around claiming it's what this 2 million number consists of...which is what VGChartz claims.

Why wouldn't they? It's a RETAIL product, this notion that it is somehow untrackable is asinine at best. The only thing NPD has stated is that they do not track DIGITAL SALES.

No, nothing about physical at all, it's never stated. It's ALWAYS stated retail though, excluding DIGITAL SALES.

You miss the entire point I feel.

VGchartz make up the figures they report on, that much is known. Whether they are making up figures for bundles or standalone games is moot, as they are still made up numbers.

People put their faith into the NPD numbers instead, despite them not tracking digital sales of games (or the download codes in bundles, as hardware is tracked separately, and there is no way to track whether an X1 was sold as a Titanfall bundle or a bundle with another game, as its still 1 console sale. NPD also only track sales from 65% of US retailers, so their numbers are also inaccurate.

So youre arguing the validity of made up numbers against other slightly less made up numbers, neither of which is fully tracking the game that you are attempting to downplay.

GGs I guess.
---
#80Rancid_SkankPosted 8/5/2014 6:48:07 AM
MetroidFan9999 posted...

And nothing about PHYSICAL, only RETAIL excluding DIGITAL SALES. NPD cannot track digital sales simply because they don't have the same access to the networks and Sony/MS as they do with traditional online/brick+mortar retailers.

I'm not sure why you have to have it explained that a bundled download code for a game doesn't get tracked in the same way a physical game bought over the counter is, but since you asked me to provide proof (and I did) I guess you can do the same?

Link to show download codes in console bundles are definitely tracked and incorporated into the overall sales for a game?
---