Can the compute units in X1 GPU be used for PPC emulation?

#1eastofeastsidePosted 8/4/2014 12:41:57 PM
at least partial emulation like for the Altivec units?

Xbox 360 emulation.
#2EnclavePosted 8/4/2014 12:49:20 PM
The Xbone isn't powerful enough to emulate the 360.
---
The commercial says that Church isn't for perfect people, I guess that's why I'm an atheist.
#3ZeroShot101Posted 8/4/2014 12:57:49 PM
Enclave posted...
The Xbone isn't powerful enough to emulate the 360.

ummm yes it is. what the hell have you been smoking?
#4Abiz_Posted 8/4/2014 1:00:03 PM
No, it's not. Emulators need a lot more power then what they are emulating. X1 and PS4 couldn't pull off 360 or ps3. High end pc can't pull off 360 or ps3 at this point.
---
Interestingly enough, video game companies used to be able to make money without selling out like cheap prostitutes.-KaiserWarrior
#5eastofeastside(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2014 1:01:07 PM
So far the discussion on the topic of Xbox 360 backwards compatibility has focused on the PPC to X86 code conversion challenge.

The suggestion here is to find a clever way to use X1 GPU compute units to at least run the floating point intensive aspects of the Xbox 360 PPC CPU.
#6eastofeastside(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2014 1:04:43 PM
Abiz_ posted...
No, it's not. Emulators need a lot more power then what they are emulating. X1 and PS4 couldn't pull off 360 or ps3. High end pc can't pull off 360 or ps3 at this point.

The GPU's of 360 and X1 are both AMD. This issue is the different CPU architectures... IBM PPC vs X86.

There was PS2 emulation on PS3 and OG Xbox emulation on 360, so this topic can be dropped.
#7Abiz_Posted 8/4/2014 1:13:11 PM(edited)
Go tell that to the PCSX2 forum. That it isn't a power thing. I bet they would totally agree.... Emulation on the 360 support just stopped and PS3 was dropped for a reason(it was hardware base). AMD and Nvidia change their architectures every 2-3 card generations about... Not a mute point at all.
---
Interestingly enough, video game companies used to be able to make money without selling out like cheap prostitutes.-KaiserWarrior
#8eastofeastside(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2014 1:51:33 PM(edited)
Abiz_ posted...
Go tell that to the PCSX2 forum. That it isn't a power thing. I bet they would totally agree.... Emulation on the 360 support just stopped and PS3 was dropped for a reason(it was hardware base). AMD and Nvidia change their architectures every 2-3 card generations about... Not a mute point at all.

I'm sure PCSX2 devs have the same resources as Microsoft.. /sarcasm Not a great argument...

360 and PS3 have custom IBM CPU's, that is the primary issue to emulation. This topic is about finding a solution to that challenge. Your point is just to say it's not possible and citing PS3/360 PC emulation as proof without getting into the actual technical barrier of PPC vs X86 and the the floating point units on their CPU's that make them hard to emulate.

AMD can find a way to make their new architecture run their old.
#9eastofeastside(Topic Creator)Posted 8/4/2014 1:49:22 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#10Abiz_Posted 8/4/2014 1:54:19 PM
PSCX2 devs actually made a successful emulator. MS gave up on theirs. Great argument.
---