The only circumstances I legitimately advocate remakes...

#1SigmaLongshotPosted 8/5/2014 7:34:11 AM
Are when I either haven't played the game at all, or at the very least, enough time has elapsed for the entire experience to be completely new to me (via the power of ageing memory failure power).

I am personally going to be purchasing The Last of Us Remastered, as I never bought it on PS3 - therefore the experience, to me, is completely new. I will also be purchasing the Master Chief Collection because I played Halo 2 at launch, and haven't since revisited it. In fact the only thing I remember about the storyline is that Tartarus is the fight at the end, because I was shocked that's how the game ended. I also vaguely remember a level with the Arbiter with stealth grunts... I think(?)

Everything else that remains fresh in my mind that receives a remake isn't worth a purchase to me, simply because there's no real magic other than nostalgia/remembrance.

I think there has to be a joyful feeling of discovery in any game I play, otherwise it misses the primary feeling I actually plays games for!

What are your circumstances for opting for/against remade games?

---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#2LooksLikeRainPosted 8/5/2014 7:38:56 AM
I'm 100% for remakes with games and movies. I love them. If I don't want it I don't buy it.

I really don't see any negative to making remakes of popular games.

Side note: I don't understand the hate that remade movies get. It's not like the original disappears when the remake comes out.
---
GT: Frightbeard.
#3Jedi454Posted 8/5/2014 7:40:24 AM
I'd love a Morrowind remake with voice acting more than anything.
---
The new TMNT movie looks like garbage.
#4SigmaLongshot(Topic Creator)Posted 8/5/2014 7:42:22 AM
LooksLikeRain posted...
I'm 100% for remakes with games and movies. I love them. If I don't want it I don't buy it.

I really don't see any negative to making remakes of popular games.

Side note: I don't understand the hate that remade movies get. It's not like the original disappears when the remake comes out.

Clearly I'm not completely against them, personally, but can you see my reasons for being against them in certain circumstances?

I have to have that feeling of "this is a new adventure!" when I set out in a game. Playing a game through multiple times, where you get that "Oh, this is the bit where X happens" feeling, that numbs it for me, and it starts feeling like I imagine it feels to play a game with a PRIMA walkthrough open beside you.
---
Double Jump Game Comics: http://doublejump.thecomicseries.com/
#5LEGEND_725Posted 8/5/2014 7:46:17 AM
Collections like MCC should be the norm.

One game cash grabs of year old games like The last of us need to die
---
Lift. Game. Academics. Party. = LIFE. Best mod dispute ever? http://i.imgur.com/db7oluz.jpg. Official dudebro of any forum... I lift more than you
#6nableetPosted 8/5/2014 7:46:20 AM
I bought TLoUR as, like you, I never got to play it. To me it is a good thing as I had/have no interest in buying a PS3.

I'll probably pick up the RE remake, and i bought the FFX HD vita game back in Feb as it was the last good FF game, imo. I had never played FFX-2, and frankly I don't think I ever will again after playing the first hour.

I think the problem is many people see that devs are making these ports and think that they are not making other games because of it. If you have played them before then I can understand wanting a new experience.
---
GT: Tyfighta23. PSN: Tee_Doff
#7crynryanPosted 8/5/2014 7:49:50 AM(edited)
The only problem I have is when the source material didn't need a remake in the first place. The original Resident Evil was pretty bad (compared to the other games), so they went and remade it. Most of the time for games, there's always a good reason why they're remaking something whether it be for new and upgraded mechanics, or ways to tell the story in a different way (Silent Hill Shattered Memories).

As for movies, most of the time it's a no. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was good enough on its own, as was Clash of the Titans (2 movies that just came to mind). The only thing they can do with movies is either explain more or show off flashier effects.

EDIT: As for the Resident Evil remake, I'm hoping it's to gauge interest in doing a remake of the 2nd game.
---
(>O_O)> <(o_o<)
(>O_O)> <(o_o<)
#8nableetPosted 8/5/2014 7:50:36 AM
LooksLikeRain posted...

People view the original movies as classics and don't want them to be "tarnished" by the new movies. A lot of young people might not have seen the original, so this remake is their first, and possibly only, experience of the film.

I don't mind remade movies, but they very rarely add anything. I can't stand the remakes of foreign films though... Just read the subtitles!!
---
GT: Tyfighta23. PSN: Tee_Doff
#9slowdog76Posted 8/5/2014 8:24:06 AM
i dont mind in principle. if people want to buy them, the fair enough. i will be getting gta for example, mainly because i love that game and only sold my 360 version so i could get the new one.

in the realm of movies, i really draw the line at remakes of modern movies. i despise that they are doing point break. i mean really despise
---
I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
Confucius
#10ascendedcobraPosted 8/5/2014 8:31:54 AM
I'm all for quality so when they make a great remake I'm all in. I just got TLOU for ps4 and almost done with my second play through. It's fantastic and I probably would have never got around to it for ps3. Same goes for tomb raider.
I second the guy that said a morrow wind remake. I would buy that in a second.