Will the Kinect be worth it going forward and other questions before I buy

#1sparkingconduitPosted 8/5/2014 8:10:38 AM
I'm on the cusp of biting the bullet and buying an Xbox One. I like the idea of the Halo Collection and I usually end up getting the "Big 3" game consoles at some point during the generation, anyway. However, there were a couple of questions I wanted to ask that should help me decide on whether to get it now or wait until November when Halo releases.

The first, and biggest question, is about Kinect integration. What has Kinect been used for so far? I know that the system OS is designed around it, but terrible interfaces have never been much of an issue for me as a PS3 owner. However, now that it's no longer a required part of the equation, I'm concerned that there won't be much reason to owning one. Specifically, if it's just going to be mainly used for voice navigation or commands la the Xbox 360 menu or Mass Effect 3, it's a kitschy usage but not something that's enough to sell me on the device. Have there been any really impressive uses of Kinect in Xbox One games so far and do you think that will continue into the future? If so, I may pick up a model with Kinect.

The next big question is what the NFL integration will entail. Football is about the only sport I follow to a great degree, but I'm not terribly interested in the Xbox One implementation if it's just going to be stupid crap like fantasy football trackers (which I just don't care about). I'd be more intrigued if it were something like being able to watch out-of-area broadcasts of games, since I'm a displaced Eagles fan. Does anyone know what the NFL integration is supposed to be?

Finally, what big games does the Xbox One have coming out over the next year or so? I'm mostly only interested in exclusives as I already have a PS4 for all the multiplats. I just want to make sure I'll have something besides Halo to play come next year.
#2eastofeastsidePosted 8/5/2014 8:22:29 AM
Cortana
#3sparkingconduit(Topic Creator)Posted 8/5/2014 9:14:50 AM
Not getting a WIndows Phone, so Cortana means nothing to me. :P
#4ComradeRyanPosted 8/5/2014 12:43:57 PM
Fable Legends looks interesting, and it will be an Xbox One exclusive. It will be a co-op RPG.
---
We must reverse Citizens United, Restore our Democracy, and Save the Republic. Join the Fight for Free and Fair Elections in America!
http://www.wolf-pac.com
#5cyhperrage2027Posted 8/5/2014 12:46:20 PM
Yes, it's worth it, and it's a shame that so many people are babies who hate innovation, otherwise we could have more games for it.
#6kyncaniPosted 8/5/2014 12:52:11 PM(edited)
Kinect is useless. The only good thing is that you won't have to pick up the controller to watch TV, which is what you will be doing mainly if you already have a PS4. People are getting rid of their Xbox One with Kinect though so you can grab one pretty cheap, which is the only reason I have Kinect in the first place. I had much more trouble grabbing a Wii U.

Exclusives ? Pretty much nothing. Fable 4 is the only game I will get for sure but that's 2015 I think. The digital store is complete crap compared to the PS4 store or Steam store : the user interface is bad and the prices are worse. Games with Gold are even crappier than PS4 PS+ games. Used games prices are uneven : Ryse is dirt cheap, Titanfall is cheap, Dead Rising 3 isn't. Go figure.
#7chex81Posted 8/5/2014 12:53:09 PM
The only time i find Kinect useful is for Xbox Fitness (which is great)...otherwise its pretty pointless.
---
XB1/WiiU: chex81
soundcloud.com/purple_i
#8sparkingconduit(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2014 5:29:20 AM
kyncani posted...
Kinect is useless. The only good thing is that you won't have to pick up the controller to watch TV, which is what you will be doing mainly if you already have a PS4. People are getting rid of their Xbox One with Kinect though so you can grab one pretty cheap, which is the only reason I have Kinect in the first place. I had much more trouble grabbing a Wii U.

Exclusives ? Pretty much nothing. Fable 4 is the only game I will get for sure but that's 2015 I think. The digital store is complete crap compared to the PS4 store or Steam store : the user interface is bad and the prices are worse. Games with Gold are even crappier than PS4 PS+ games. Used games prices are uneven : Ryse is dirt cheap, Titanfall is cheap, Dead Rising 3 isn't. Go figure.

Thanks. That's about what I expected. I guess I'll just pick up a cheap one without the Kinect and add the Kinect later when I can find one for a decent price. About what price would you say is fair for it? $50? Even lower?
#9miethaPosted 8/6/2014 6:08:33 AM
sparkingconduit posted...
kyncani posted...

Thanks. That's about what I expected. I guess I'll just pick up a cheap one without the Kinect and add the Kinect later when I can find one for a decent price. About what price would you say is fair for it? $50? Even lower?

Depends on what you want it for. Gaming? IMO that's $0. It's a horrible idea implemented horribly and needs to go away and die. Everything else? It's actually quite useful. I don't know if it's quite $100 worth of useful but let me put it this way: I am not upset that I bought a day one One, even though I didn't want the stupid thing. I honestly couldn't imagine trying to use the system without voice commands.
#10sparkingconduit(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2014 6:27:29 AM
mietha posted...
sparkingconduit posted...
kyncani posted...

Depends on what you want it for. Gaming? IMO that's $0. It's a horrible idea implemented horribly and needs to go away and die. Everything else? It's actually quite useful. I don't know if it's quite $100 worth of useful but let me put it this way: I am not upset that I bought a day one One, even though I didn't want the stupid thing. I honestly couldn't imagine trying to use the system without voice commands.

Cool. Good to know. I just happened across one with Kinect for $337.02 on Amazon, so I snapped it up. Figured it might be a while before I find another one for that price. I need a game to christen it. Should I get Titanfall? I heard the community for it was pretty dead unless you stick to certain game modes. If not that, is Ryse at all worth it and at what price point?