WHat audio settings are correct for dolby digital?

#1MrMojoRisin357Posted 8/5/2014 9:09:46 AM
How exactly should it be setup, I'm not exactly sure what bitstream means.
---
I Am Allah
#2MrMojoRisin357(Topic Creator)Posted 8/5/2014 11:21:43 AM
Its a 2.1 bose system btw
---
I Am Allah
#3Hucast9Posted 8/5/2014 12:13:07 PM(edited)
Bitstream uses the home theater receiver's audio processing to deliver DTS HD Master Audio, Dolby Digital True HD, regular Dolby digital, regular DTS etc. Linear PCM makes the home theater receiver deliver Linear PCM which is uncompressed. Don't confuse uncompressed for lossless audio. Lossless audio is Dolby True HD and DTS Master audio, which is above regular dolby digital 5.1 or dts 5.1, but those 2 audio formats can be delivered in LPCM too.

It might be better to select lpcm if you're not using True HD or Master Audio. I myself prefer bitstream when watching Blu Ray movies with True HD or Master Audio. I have no clue if new gen games have the equivalent of True Hd or Master Audio.

Regualr Dolby digital uses less than 1 Mb of bandwidth for audio. DTS uses about 1.5 Mb, which makes it superior to DD. True HD and Master audio use around 4+ Mb. The difference from regualr DD or DTS to True HD or Master Audio is big. Much more fine detail in the audio, but only if you have a receiver capable of it.
#4MrMojoRisin357(Topic Creator)Posted 8/5/2014 11:55:06 AM
Thx. The xbox only has the bit stream option though.
---
I Am Allah
#5Hucast9Posted 8/5/2014 12:10:18 PM
Well I currently don't have an XBox One, so i'm not exactly sure about the audio settings. I find it strange that a Blu Ray console only has a Bitstream option. In any case, you're fine whether you use Bitstream or LPCM. It really doesn't matter much unless you have a home theater reciver that is capable of decoding Blu Ray audio formats such as Dolby True HD or DTS Master audio and you want to compare between LPCM and Bitstream in a disc that has that.

Aparently you want Dolby Digital enabled right? You're fine with Bitstream for Dolby Digital. If you're using 2 speakers plus a subwoofer, then select the 2 channel Bitstream selections. Don't select 5.1 because that's for a 5+1 speaker setup.

I myself use an entry level 7.1 home theater receiver in a 5.0 speaker setup.
#6WOT BSPosted 8/5/2014 12:26:20 PM
I think you might want to go with the uncompressed stereo option under your optical output, you might not be hearing everything
---
PSN: SociopathPhD
GT: Extract Hz
#7MrMojoRisin357(Topic Creator)Posted 8/5/2014 2:54:09 PM
Hucast9 posted...
Well I currently don't have an XBox One, so i'm not exactly sure about the audio settings. I find it strange that a Blu Ray console only has a Bitstream option. In any case, you're fine whether you use Bitstream or LPCM. It really doesn't matter much unless you have a home theater reciver that is capable of decoding Blu Ray audio formats such as Dolby True HD or DTS Master audio and you want to compare between LPCM and Bitstream in a disc that has that.That's exactly what I did and it works well, thx.

Aparently you want Dolby Digital enabled right? You're fine with Bitstream for Dolby Digital. If you're using 2 speakers plus a subwoofer, then select the 2 channel Bitstream selections. Don't select 5.1 because that's for a 5+1 speaker setup.

I myself use an entry level 7.1 home theater receiver in a 5.0 speaker setup.

---
I Am Allah
#8duericPosted 8/5/2014 2:58:11 PM
WOT BS posted...
I think you might want to go with the uncompressed stereo option under your optical output, you might not be hearing everything

This. For a 2.1 system this will give you the best sound since the Bose is going to process the signal to"simulate" 5.1.
---
"It's like people using the internet have never heard of the internet." - SadHillShowdown Gamefaqs member