Most Pretentious Video Game?

#31GladiatorDanger(Topic Creator)Posted 8/5/2014 9:03:21 PM
snakes_codec posted...
The Fable games are the absolute definition of pretentious .

Cute but no, I think it has already been clearly established in my previous thread that anyone who considers the Fable games pretentious is just ignorant.
#32vashkeyPosted 8/5/2014 9:16:36 PM(edited)
Transistor, the Final Fantasy series, the Assassin's Creed series, Indigo Prophecy, Heavy Rain, Beyond Two Souls, Kingdom Hearts after Chain of Memories, the Metal Gear series and Bioshock: Infinite, off the top of my head.

I wouldn't say The Last of Us is pretentious, but the marketing campaign sure was and so were the reviews.

I'm not saying these games are all bad, btw.
#33EnclavePosted 8/5/2014 9:10:33 PM
GladiatorDanger posted...
snakes_codec posted...
The Fable games are the absolute definition of pretentious .

Cute but no, I think it has already been clearly established in my previous thread that anyone who considers the Fable games pretentious is just ignorant.

Actually? Not really. You can definitely make a strong case for the Fable games to be pretentious. Just look at every interview about the series Peter Molyneux has ever given.
---
The commercial says that Church isn't for perfect people, I guess that's why I'm an atheist.
#34GladiatorDanger(Topic Creator)Posted 8/5/2014 9:12:02 PM
Then by all means make your case though I am pretty sure you are just mistaking passion for pretentiousness.
#35BDJaycePosted 8/5/2014 9:15:45 PM
Gladiator, you established nothing in your last thread other than you hate The Last of Us for preteen girl kissy time and their "cliche" story. I actually got tired of arguing and just left you there defending Peter Molyneux as "passionate" but in no way pretentious.
---
9-14-1959 - 5-4-2014. Goodbye Momma, I love you. Rest well.
GT: JamesBolton0723
#36vashkeyPosted 8/5/2014 9:25:59 PM
I've only played Fable 2 and 3 to finish but I'm not sure it's fair to say that Fable is pretentious based on one man who led the development team. They're two separate entities.

Personally I wouldn't call a game where you can fart around at goofy npcs well dressed as a chicken pretentious. The butler in Fable 3 is voice by John Cleese of Mony Python fame for crying out loud..
#37boolzeroPosted 8/5/2014 9:35:33 PM
I'll agree with this post on some of those games. Seems like most don't understand what the word pretentious means and are substituting it for their own definition.

The Metal Gear Solid franchise should be there even though it has weird use of humor it also proposes it's stories as self important, as do a majority if the past couple of generation Final Fantasy games. I don't need hour long FMV's to tell me that war is bad, men have to do necessary evils, and how the nature of man is defendant on the environment he thrives in. I don't need bloviate dialogues and monologues to tell me that, or a game that throws that message out the window with its gameplay that contradicts its story in oxymoronic delivery.

I wouldn't say Bioshock, it went for storytelling but it never gave the impression that it was trying to change your views or give you some cathartic life lesson from its conclusion. Kingdom Hearts had its share of over indulgences into the area of professing its self importance, but it think that a lot of Japanese writing tends to do that in general. It's the reason why I throw Final Fantasy under the bus...

I also think there is another argument that is separate that is being lumped into this debate; that being games that sell on thei art over their substance. I would throw games like Ico, Heavy Rain, Braid and Limbo and games of its ilk into that category. All great games, but they impose a sense that they are telling you an important story when really, aside from feeling affected by their enthralling delivery, you are left walking away with nothing you hadn't already came to the table with.
---
Death is a dish best served with gravy...
#38GladiatorDanger(Topic Creator)Posted 8/5/2014 9:37:42 PM
BDJayce posted...
Gladiator, you established nothing in your last thread other than you hate The Last of Us for preteen girl kissy time and their "cliche" story. I actually got tired of arguing and just left you there defending Peter Molyneux as "passionate" but in no way pretentious.

Sorry BDJayce but this post just like all of your other posts are only proof of my assertion.
#39lunaticcorePosted 8/5/2014 9:53:55 PM
Spore.

I shouldn't have to explain this.
---
--- Chilling and Killing 11 (Punching Titans) on youtube.
http://youtu.be/q4p7NCm7fng
#40aliadnan37Posted 8/5/2014 10:01:47 PM
cant believe no one's said BIOSHOCK INFINITE
---
Occupying a country using military force to destroy homes and take land is terrorism. Uniting and fighting back as a group is not. Children are being murdered