Most Pretentious Video Game?

#71HarrysReedPosted 8/6/2014 12:50:11 AM
Milo
#72VeraxulousPosted 8/6/2014 1:16:56 AM
Phil Phish simulator
#73Stefan1277Posted 8/6/2014 1:20:52 AM
The Last of Us and Grand Theft Auto. Flip a coin. Same bis.
---
Gamefaqs users in one article:
http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-behaviors-modern-world-only-making-worse/
#74CarpetfluffPosted 8/6/2014 1:50:05 AM(edited)
Enclave posted...
Anybody saying The Last of Us doesn't understand the meaning of the word pretentious.

Very much this. I can understand why some people say they don't like it as much as others seem to, but it's neither pretentious nor preachy. It's just about people and their choices and in that respect it's about as simple and straightforward as you can get. Most of the time it doesn't even attempt to tell you how to feel about it either. People discussing those choices on forums is where the pretensions creep in.

(See, even that sentence started sounding more pretentious than that entire game is).
#75_Moron_Posted 8/6/2014 1:51:37 AM
MGS4 and the most pretentious movie is Inception.
---
"When an adult male is chasing a female with intent to commit rape, I shoot the bastard, that's my policy".
-Inspector 'Dirty' Harry Callahan
#76SnuffSevenfoldXPosted 8/6/2014 3:00:01 AM
Quantic Dream titles.
Peter Molyeneux at least seems to get the joke but just runs with it. David Cage does not.

I'm not sure I could call a series as self-deprecating as MGS pretentious, although I could see GTA being pretentious at times, although that's also when it can sometimes be at it's best.
---
http://gentlemanadventurer.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/batman-never-ends.png
#77LEGEND_725Posted 8/6/2014 3:47:56 AM
mokmuud posted...
Current gen I'd have to say The last of us. It wants you to think its great but once you play it you realize how shallow and hollow it is.

---
Lift. Game. Academics. Party. = LIFE. Best mod dispute ever? http://i.imgur.com/db7oluz.jpg. Official dudebro of any forum... I lift more than you
#78ChiliPupPosted 8/6/2014 5:20:21 AM
Since "pretentious" means "characterized by assumption of dignity or importance, especially when exaggerated or undeserved", I am going to consider The Last of Us for a moment. The Last of Us is indeed characterized by assumption of dignity or importance. That's evident in how Naughty Dog talks about the game, how they presented the game, and how they continue to handle the remastered version today. However, the second part of the definition is where it gets fuzzy. The "exaggerated or undeserved" part is tricky. If over 200 independent organizations believe that your game is the best in the industry, can it actually be "exaggerated"? I mean, that's a massive actual number that's not exaggerated, and it's never been done before. And also pertaining to the 200+ GOTY's, I'm pretty sure the "undeserved" part goes out the window too.

Yep, that's a tricky one.

Well, at least you guys don't have to worry about it, since it's exclusive and all.
---
[This moderator or administrator was deleted at the request of this message.]
#79ejay8320Posted 8/6/2014 6:31:02 AM
ChiliPup posted...
Since "pretentious" means "characterized by assumption of dignity or importance, especially when exaggerated or undeserved", I am going to consider The Last of Us for a moment. The Last of Us is indeed characterized by assumption of dignity or importance. That's evident in how Naughty Dog talks about the game, how they presented the game, and how they continue to handle the remastered version today. However, the second part of the definition is where it gets fuzzy. The "exaggerated or undeserved" part is tricky. If over 200 independent organizations believe that your game is the best in the industry, can it actually be "exaggerated"? I mean, that's a massive actual number that's not exaggerated, and it's never been done before. And also pertaining to the 200+ GOTY's, I'm pretty sure the "undeserved" part goes out the window too.

Yep, that's a tricky one.

Well, at least you guys don't have to worry about it, since it's exclusive and all.

but apparently Sony "bought" those reviews while going bankrupt...
#80ChiliPupPosted 8/6/2014 6:43:11 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]