Which native resolution looks better on a 42" 720p TV? 1080p or 900p?

#11Millertime660Posted 8/6/2014 12:59:15 AM
RuinerEraser posted...
Millertime660 posted...
You don't really know too much about technology huh? You have a different question about resolution every day!

www.google.com is a place to start.

You should lay off the millers bud.

What?
#12RuinerEraser(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2014 1:00:41 AM
Tajaz2426 posted...
If you have a 720P TV I don't think it will make a difference. If you have a 1080P TV the 720P game will be upscale to 1080P, but the 1080P will be native and the game will look somewhat better.

That's what I was thinking, thanks! I think downscaled is downscaled no matter what.
---
GT: Lazer Ape
Currently Playing: Forza 5, Killer Instinct, Titanfall, Dead Rising 3 and soon Magic The Gather 2015 (only on Xbox)
#13EoinPosted 8/6/2014 3:26:38 AM
A downscale from 1080p should be cleaner than a downscale from 900p. The higher the resolution you downscale from, the better picture you should end up with, although we are talking about fractional (sub-pixel) improvements rather than anything really noticeable. The difference won't be noticeable most of the time - most people would struggle to notice even side-by-side. The main difference is going to be aliasing - one trick that game developers have known for ages is that rendering a higher-resolution image and then downscaling results in a decent cheap anti-aliasing effect (supersampling).

Here's a quick and simple example. This is rendered at 320x240: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/Jil02/AAdemo4.jpg

This is rendered at a much higher resolution, and downscaled to 320x240: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/Jil02/AAdemo5.jpg

There's fewer jagged lines and the weird rendering artefact doesn't happen, resulting in a better image (better even than native rendering resolution).

There's many other factors to take into account, so it may not always be true to say that it's better to downscale from 1080p than from 900p, but all other things being equal, it should be.
#14Spetsnaz420Posted 8/6/2014 3:48:10 AM
I'd doesn't matter... All games will downscale to 720p (unless a games native is lower than 720p).

Since games are all made in 16:9 typically, you shouldn't notice any stretching or distortion.
---
Don't mistake me for a troll, I'm just a nice guy who likes to debate/argue
A sight for sore eyes to the blind would be awful majestic
#15Miiri0Posted 8/6/2014 3:53:20 AM
RuinerEraser posted...
Millertime660 posted...
RuinerEraser posted...
Millertime660 posted...
You don't really know too much about technology huh? You have a different question about resolution every day!

I do? Where are my other threads about resolution?

What other threads about resolution?

Okay where are my other questions about resolution? Is it wrong to ask questions? I've never even seen your username before, you seem to know mine pretty well. I tried to google it but it's a pretty specific question. So I was hoping that someone who knows more about the subject could shed some light.

You seem like a very angry person.

Maybe you never asked anything about resolutiom before but you need to know the mere mention of word resolution hurt xbone fanboy. You know, the fact that ps4 is more powerful than xbone and way better in handling resolution and fps is just unbearable. If about resolution or fps, you better of asking this on ps4 board even if its about xbone. Becareful next time.

On question. I dont think its matter because the graphic is downscale to 720p.
#16RuinerEraser(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2014 4:25:30 AM
Eoin posted...
A downscale from 1080p should be cleaner than a downscale from 900p. The higher the resolution you downscale from, the better picture you should end up with, although we are talking about fractional (sub-pixel) improvements rather than anything really noticeable. The difference won't be noticeable most of the time - most people would struggle to notice even side-by-side. The main difference is going to be aliasing - one trick that game developers have known for ages is that rendering a higher-resolution image and then downscaling results in a decent cheap anti-aliasing effect (supersampling).

Here's a quick and simple example. This is rendered at 320x240: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/Jil02/AAdemo4.jpg

This is rendered at a much higher resolution, and downscaled to 320x240: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/Jil02/AAdemo5.jpg

There's fewer jagged lines and the weird rendering artefact doesn't happen, resulting in a better image (better even than native rendering resolution).

There's many other factors to take into account, so it may not always be true to say that it's better to downscale from 1080p than from 900p, but all other things being equal, it should be.

Wow, this is exactly the type of into I was looking for! Thank you very much for the detailed response.
---
Currently Playing: Forza 5, Killer Instinct, Titanfall, Dead Rising 3 and soon Magic The Gather 2015 (only on Xbox)
#17RuinerEraser(Topic Creator)Posted 8/6/2014 4:28:00 AM
Miiri0 posted...
RuinerEraser posted...
Millertime660 posted...
RuinerEraser posted...
Millertime660 posted...

I do? Where are my other threads about resolution?

What other threads about resolution?

Okay where are my other questions about resolution? Is it wrong to ask questions? I've never even seen your username before, you seem to know mine pretty well. I tried to google it but it's a pretty specific question. So I was hoping that someone who knows more about the subject could shed some light.

You seem like a very angry person.

Maybe you never asked anything about resolutiom before but you need to know the mere mention of word resolution hurt xbone fanboy. You know, the fact that ps4 is more powerful than xbone and way better in handling resolution and fps is just unbearable. If about resolution or fps, you better of asking this on ps4 board even if its about xbone. Becareful next time.

On question. I dont think its matter because the graphic is downscale to 720p.

I don't own a PS4 so I don't even go to those boards. I was asking this because recently Diablo 3 was upgraded from native 900p to 1080p. Not sure why PS4 is even brought up. Gamefaqs sure has a lot of weird posters.
---
#18Miiri0Posted 8/6/2014 4:52:53 AM
Yeap. Agree. That guy that go ballistic when someone ask about downscale resolution on 720p is totally weird!
#19SupaflyGibsonPosted 8/6/2014 5:49:00 AM
Xbox fanboys can get so defensive with the word "resolution". Come on guys you're better than that!
---
gt: For Spartaa
#20ThatLaoGuyPosted 8/6/2014 5:54:45 AM
Yeah, xbone kids are fighters ,man. They'll fight ya online.
---
If you want to see grown men online throw tantrums, visit the xbone board.