any common issues with the console I should test before buying second hand?

#1DigitalIncisionPosted 8/7/2014 7:23:26 AM
gonna visit someone today to possibly buy used. are there any common issues that I could quickly test out before making the purchase?
---
Digi
Board 8 Late Night Crew [LNC]
#2turtle_owns_youPosted 8/7/2014 7:27:17 AM
Put a disc in and see if it plays. Quietly also.
Check to see when playing that the harddrive doesn't go mentally loud. Either digital or physical.
Make sure all buttons on the concole work too.

Just a few things.
#3kennyynnooPosted 8/7/2014 7:45:59 AM(edited)
Make sure warranty seal sticker on back isn't cut. Ask for console serial number and check the warranty imo.
---
Own: Xbox one, 360, PS3, Wii
Richard is also known as Dick.
#4axelfooley2k5Posted 8/7/2014 7:46:56 AM
dont buy any electronics used brah
---
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54GV2qS3tL4&t=0m03s
#5DigitalIncision(Topic Creator)Posted 8/7/2014 7:48:52 AM
kennyynnoo posted...
Make sure warranty seal sticker on back isn't cut. Ask for console serial number and check the warranty imo.

can you check the warranty without actually registering it?
---
Digi
#6dnmtPosted 8/7/2014 7:49:58 AM
I wouldn't buy a console second hand. Too many variables and none to your advantage. Just wait for Black Friday or something.
#7DigitalIncision(Topic Creator)Posted 8/7/2014 7:51:32 AM
dnmt posted...
I wouldn't buy a console second hand. Too many variables and none to your advantage. Just wait for Black Friday or something.

part of my pre-purchase plan is to check the warranty. if it's not registered (he says it is not), then there's no reason for me to balk, I think.
---
Digi
#8kennyynnooPosted 8/7/2014 8:05:14 AM
DigitalIncision posted...
kennyynnoo posted...

can you check the warranty without actually registering it?

I imagine you can call MS, explain you're buying it used.
---
#9DigitalIncision(Topic Creator)Posted 8/7/2014 8:06:18 AM
yeah I don't have the serial number from the guy yet, but I just went into MS chat support and asked it was possible to check. they were like sure give us the number .. then I exited.

so I think I'm gonna go do this
---
Digi
#10kennyynnooPosted 8/7/2014 8:15:50 AM
DigitalIncision posted...
yeah I don't have the serial number from the guy yet, but I just went into MS chat support and asked it was possible to check. they were like sure give us the number .. then I exited.

so I think I'm gonna go do this

It'll tell u how much of one you have, if it's a November model obviously you only have a few months left. Personally I would buy new and get an extended warranty. You have 45 days I believe to buy the extended warranty.
---