any common issues with the console I should test before buying second hand?

#11DigitalIncision(Topic Creator)Posted 8/7/2014 8:21:54 AM(edited)
kennyynnoo posted...
get an extended warranty. You have 45 days I believe to buy the extended warranty.

the guy said he's only had it for a little while, has only played it twice.

but that extended warranty kind of isn't worth it. if the console doesn't fail in the first year, it's probably not going to fail in years two or three unless you physically damage it. given that the cost of repair is a flat fee, it's actually more cost-effective to just do that if you make it through the first year without issues. especially if you're saving almost $200 buying it used, which I am.

in other words $250, good serial number, kinect, CoD ghosts and the possibility of a $120 repair down the line. That's $370 total

whereas I could buy new for $430 with tax, no kinect, spend another $80 on this warranty business and maybe it never breaks. that's $510.
---
Digi
Board 8 Late Night Crew [LNC]
#12kennyynnooPosted 8/7/2014 8:26:29 AM
DigitalIncision posted...
kennyynnoo posted...
get an extended warranty. You have 45 days I believe to buy the extended warranty.

the guy said he's only had it for a little while, has only played it twice.

but that extended warranty kind of isn't worth it. if the console doesn't fail in the first year, it's probably not going to fail in years two or three unless you physically damage it. given that the cost of repair is a flat fee, it's actually more cost-effective to just do that if you make it through the first year without issues. especially if you're saving almost $200 buying it used, which I am.

in other words $250, good serial number, kinect, CoD ghosts and the possibility of a $120 repair down the line. That's $370 total

whereas I could buy new for $430 with tax, no kinect, spend another $80 on this warranty business and maybe it never breaks. that's $510.

Your money, my 360 failed at 13 months, luckily they extended that warranty due to the rrod issues on launch systems I didn't want to risk it.
---
Own: Xbox one, 360, PS3, Wii
Richard is also known as Dick.
#13DigitalIncision(Topic Creator)Posted 8/7/2014 8:28:31 AM
kennyynnoo posted...
Your money, my 360 failed at 13 months, luckily they extended that warranty due to the rrod issues on launch systems I didn't want to risk it.

and if you bought that 360 used and the repair cost was still less than what a new one + warranty would cost, then you'd be in the situation I just described. they're not the same thing, you know what I mean? Even if I bought this and had to pay for a repair tomorrow, it would still be over $100 less than a new one + warranty
---
Digi
#14turtle_owns_youPosted 8/7/2014 8:56:23 AM
Ask for receipt. If none no buy.
#15DigitalIncision(Topic Creator)Posted 8/7/2014 9:05:42 AM
turtle_owns_you posted...

why?
---
Digi
#16kennyynnooPosted 8/7/2014 9:08:36 AM
DigitalIncision posted...
turtle_owns_you posted...

why?

Stolen I'm guessing. Just make sure it's not banned, the serial number should clear it up.
---
Own: Xbox one, 360, PS3, Wii
Richard is also known as Dick.
#17CapwnDPosted 8/7/2014 9:08:39 AM
My Xbox One has a fan that makes just a slight noise, I can only hear it if there's no volume on anything at the time, but I've seen Xbox Ones that didn't have that noise. It's just a small squeak in the fan.

So that's what I would look for, is any strange noises. Including the power brick. Also, make sure the controller seems right, and that the D-pad doesn't make funny noise.
---
Death to the New Flesh, long live Videodrome!
#18DigitalIncision(Topic Creator)Posted 8/7/2014 9:12:35 AM
thanks for all the advice, ya'll.
---
Digi