Source 2 confirmed out now and STEAM could possibly be coming to X1.

#21EnclavePosted 8/7/2014 8:56:50 PM(edited)
leelee3105 posted...
Enclave posted...
ThePaleRiderp posted...
Really? Hmmm so why aren't people en mass using it? Seems like it would be up everyone's alley.

Honestly? People should be. It has a reputation for being difficult to use and honestly? It used to be. However there are various distros that are actually just as user friendly as Windows or MacOS.

Linux is hipster garbage. Even more so than Apple

Yes, people often react like that when faced with a truth they don't like. Not really surprising finding somebody ripping on Linux on the Xbox board, there are a lot of Microsoft fanboys on this board.

Also, everybody knows that hipsters like MacOS not Linux. That said, MacOS is a more secure and open OS than Windows as well, so really the hipsters got it right. I'm not a fan of MacOS but it's definitely a solid OS even if I don't like it's UI myself.

Edit:

Actually, open is the wrong word for MacOS. However it's definitely more secure than Windows and less system intensive as well. Windows and MacOS are both pretty closed.
---
The commercial says that Church isn't for perfect people, I guess that's why I'm an atheist.
#22Hazmat963Posted 8/7/2014 8:53:49 PM
aheroafake posted...
BigLongDowner posted...
I just want HL3.

---
"I love Dick [Grayson]" ~Slayer_22 - http://livingdeadrpg.proboards.com/
#23Draconian-WhitePosted 8/7/2014 9:24:41 PM
Virobot posted...
Yes, then Xbox live would tank... Since no one would be buying anything from Xbox Store.

Sorry, TC. That will never happen. It's like Microsoft building in support to run iOS AppStore

You're right, which is why I mentioned dreaming.
---
[XBL GT: AmbientGreen] [Steam: AmbientGreen]
[PSN: Vaporware]
#24TenzhiPosted 8/7/2014 9:40:05 PM
ThePaleRiderp posted...
Really? Hmmm so why aren't people en mass using it? Seems like it would be up everyone's alley.

Putting aside that it is (or used to be) a pain in the backside to set up and use (a combination of being *too* customizable and having a horrible UI), or that many games/utilities aren't inherently compatible with it (though support for it seems to have increased over the years, and there are usually steps one can take to get around compatibility issues anyways)... Realistically, most people will tend to use the OS that comes with their computer.
---
Cheating has gone hand-in-hand with gaming for centuries. Video games in particular often have cheats built right into the game.
#25EnclavePosted 8/7/2014 9:56:47 PM
Tenzhi posted...
a combination of being *too* customizable and having a horrible UI

Actually the UI isn't horrible at all. You just need to find the one right for you.

For instance I'm a big fan of Gnome 2 and Gnome Classic which have a similar feel as pre-Windows 8 Windows. Couple of my co-workers on the other hand really like Unity (it has similarities to MacOS). The UIs are actually quite good and easy to install. Sure you can get really into it and start personally customising the UI but for the VAST majority of people that's really not needed. If you go with Ubuntu it'll already come pre-loaded with a few UI options that you can choose from at the log-in prompt and odds are one of them will be a good fit for you.

It's really quite surprising just how user friendly Linux has become over the years compared to how it used to be. I sincerely hope that SteamOS is super effective at increasing Linux support as it really would be in the best interests of gamers to get away from Windows. Thankfully Linux support has been on a significant rise the last few years and gog.com has also recently brought in Linux support and are in the process of getting more and more of their games working in Linux. It'll be just awesome when I can finally pass on Windows entirely for my PC gaming.
---
The commercial says that Church isn't for perfect people, I guess that's why I'm an atheist.
#26TenzhiPosted 8/7/2014 11:21:09 PM
Enclave posted...
Actually the UI isn't horrible at all. You just need to find the one right for you.

I don't doubt that the options have come quite a long way since last I was directly exposed to it (probably the early-mid 90s ;P hence the 'or used to be'). Back then the graphical interface options were awful. And the command line functions were nonsense - there was a point when I wanted to delete a file and all the delete commands (of which there were far more than necessary) were seemingly random combinations of letters. Since I've never been particularly offended by Windows (though 7 and 8 have come close), I've not had a reason to continuously seek out alternatives.
---
Cheating has gone hand-in-hand with gaming for centuries. Video games in particular often have cheats built right into the game.
#27MrSpaM111Posted 8/8/2014 12:22:59 AM
There is no way in a million years this would ever happen
---
"Exactly correct TC..."
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/66274628
#28ToyMachin3Posted 8/8/2014 1:02:12 AM
aheroafake posted...
BigLongDowner posted...
I just want L4D3.

---
"Kidnapping is wrong! I'll be careful not to kidnap anyone."
GT: ToxicTurt1e