Xbox One cost Microsoft losses up to 400 million dollars.

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Xbox One cost Microsoft losses up to 400 million dollars.
1 year ago#1
http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/08/08/xbox-one-lost-microsoft-400000000-during-last-fiscal-year/
1 year ago#2
Every gaming company loses money on console hardware due to marketing and R&D.

How much money did Sony lose during the PS3's first year when they were selling the system for $600 but it cost $800 in parts?
---
Life is normally too short to purposely seek out things you hate, but apparently that rule doesn't apply on the Xbox One board.
1 year ago#3
Pocket change dog.
1 year ago#4
Warsuh posted...
Pocket change dog.

Technically, Bill Gates himself could lose that out of his personal stash an not exactly feel it.

He has 73 billion dollars.

$400M is 0.5% of that.

Let's say you have $10k in you bank account, that percentage is equivalent to $50.
---
Life is normally too short to purposely seek out things you hate, but apparently that rule doesn't apply on the Xbox One board.
1 year ago#5
More than $400m, since the 360 is profitable and those results are for the whole Xbox family. So the XO ate up all the 360's profits plus another $400m on top of that.

---
I see dead people.
1 year ago#6
theyve likely already made every bit of that back.
---
"I educated myself entirely on Wikipedia. I think harmless typos are a sign of stupidity."
GT je suisLe juif () Controller/online>>resolution
1 year ago#7
Haley Joel Osment posted...
More than $400m, since the 360 is profitable and those results are for the whole Xbox family. So the XO ate up all the 360's profits plus another $400m on top of that.

Again

shamfuru posted...
Every gaming company loses money on console hardware due to marketing and R&D.

How much money did Sony lose during the PS3's first year when they were selling the system for $600 but it cost $800 in parts?

---
1 year ago#8
shamfuru posted...
Warsuh posted...
Pocket change dog.

Technically, Bill Gates himself could lose that out of his personal stash an not exactly feel it.

He has 73 billion dollars.

$400M is 0.5% of that.

Let's say you have $10k in you bank account, that percentage is equivalent to $50.

Yep Bill Gates and Microsoft are both loaded to the teeth.
1 year ago#9
Regardless of how rich MS are, losing 400 million a year really is a lot of money. It's not sustainable to be losing that much money every year no matter how much you have in the bank. I'm not sure any company in the world would consider losses of 400 million a year to be 'pocket change'.

I dread to think what some of you are going to do when you get jobs when your older.

You : "Hey boss, our division lost 400 million dollars this year!"

Boss : "SAY WHAT!?!"

You : "Yeh, but it doesn't matter, well just take the money out of your bank account because you're so rich!"

Boss : "You're fired"
---
"Exactly correct TC..."
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/66274628
1 year ago#10
They can make that back through digital game sales and xbox live subsciptions. Probably other fees. It's all about attachment rate, when more people own the console, the more likely they will subscribe to live and buy digital games.

Same with Sony and the same with Nintendo. They will have losses on consoles, especially this early on. They just need people to keep the consoles, buy games for it and keep their subscriptions up.
---
GT: Zichu PSN: Zichu NNID: Zichu1
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Xbox One cost Microsoft losses up to 400 million dollars.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived