If you had to, would you choose framerate over resolution?

#21lunaticcorePosted 8/8/2014 7:51:07 PM
Shamrock99 posted...
Everyone choosing framerate over resolution... where were you back in the N64 Expansion Pak days? Most people were choosing hi-res mode over a smoother framerate back then.

And don't tell me you weren't gaming back then, or I'll feel old.

Yea but the N64 was crazy blurry. It pretty easy to get over seeing a 720p picture if you don't have to see random screen tears and framerate drops.
---
--- Chilling and Killing 11 (Punching Titans) on youtube.
http://youtu.be/q4p7NCm7fng
#22ComradeRyanPosted 8/8/2014 8:03:50 PM
My HDTV only supports 720p, so I would prioritize frame rate over resolution.
---
We must reverse Citizens United, Restore our Democracy, and Save the Republic. Join the Fight for Free and Fair Elections in America!
http://www.wolf-pac.com
#23SolisPosted 8/8/2014 8:58:35 PM
Depends entirely on what the "base" resolution and framerate are to begin with. I'm fine with an unlocked framerate running at 40+, so pretty much whatever resolution would reach that point is what I would choose. Right now, 1600x900 resolution or thereabouts seems like a pretty decent middleground for a game to run at, as long as they don't cap framerates at 30 at it. Regardless of resolution though, some type of antialiasing should also be implemented, even if it's simple post process antialiasing like FXAA.

pnut3844 posted...
Res and framerate weren't an issue last gen.

Resolution and framerate were an issue last generation. And the generation before that. And the generation before that.

Cornbread4life posted...
Shamrock99 posted...
Everyone choosing framerate over resolution... where were you back in the N64 Expansion Pak days? Most people were choosing hi-res mode over a smoother framerate back then.

Probably because the improved graphics from SNES to N64 was huge. It makes sense that people were completely swept up in resolution back then. But the bickering between 720p and 1080p...there's a difference for sure, but you can't even compare it to the difference between SNES and N64. I'd take the better framerate at 720p any day than a worse/inconsistent framerate at 1080p, but I'd probably take the graphical improvement from SNES to N64 over a better framerate.

I say "probably" because good luck explaining all that s*** to me at 8 years old in 1996...or whenever the expansion pack came out.

He wasn't comparing SNES to N64 graphics, he was comparing N64 run at default vs running it with the High Res mode that several games supported (Turok 2 and Perfect Dark come to mind). The fact that there WAS already such a big jump from SNES to N64 should have made the additional resolution increase unnoticed, yet clearly it made a rather notable difference in many games.
---
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
#24Cornbread4lifePosted 8/8/2014 9:09:41 PM
Solis posted...
Depends entirely on what the "base" resolution and framerate are to begin with. I'm fine with an unlocked framerate running at 40+, so pretty much whatever resolution would reach that point is what I would choose. Right now, 1600x900 resolution or thereabouts seems like a pretty decent middleground for a game to run at, as long as they don't cap framerates at 30 at it. Regardless of resolution though, some type of antialiasing should also be implemented, even if it's simple post process antialiasing like FXAA.

pnut3844 posted...
Res and framerate weren't an issue last gen.

Resolution and framerate were an issue last generation. And the generation before that. And the generation before that.

Cornbread4life posted...
Shamrock99 posted...

Probably because the improved graphics from SNES to N64 was huge. It makes sense that people were completely swept up in resolution back then. But the bickering between 720p and 1080p...there's a difference for sure, but you can't even compare it to the difference between SNES and N64. I'd take the better framerate at 720p any day than a worse/inconsistent framerate at 1080p, but I'd probably take the graphical improvement from SNES to N64 over a better framerate.

I say "probably" because good luck explaining all that s*** to me at 8 years old in 1996...or whenever the expansion pack came out.

He wasn't comparing SNES to N64 graphics, he was comparing N64 run at default vs running it with the High Res mode that several games supported (Turok 2 and Perfect Dark come to mind). The fact that there WAS already such a big jump from SNES to N64 should have made the additional resolution increase unnoticed, yet clearly it made a rather notable difference in many games.

I know what he meant, I was saying that people were probably still really paying attention to graphics when the high res mode came out because of the recent jump in graphics from snes to n64. Sure the high res mode wasn't a noticeable difference by comparison to regular N64 graphics, but people were likely still very much into the whole graphics discussion because of the recent SNES-N64 jump.

That's pure speculation of human behavior on my part, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were some delayed feelings of favoring resolution over FPS because of how much resolution evolved in such a short time. Just my thoughts on why people might have still been favoring resolution over FPS even though the difference in graphics from the high res may have been small, like you said.
---
GT/PSN: Cornbread4life
#25tadmfpolePosted 8/8/2014 9:43:26 PM
Games where resolution is more important than frame rate

Monopoly
Solitaire

Games that frame rate is more important than resolution

everything else

Few people with a functioning brain would choose resolution over frame rate on just about any console or PC game ever made given the choice. I did have a room mate once that would play his PC games on settings way above what his PC had the means of running smoothly so I know there are exceptions but whatever.
---
my current game collection
http://www.gamefaqs.com/users/tadmfpole/games/owned
#26scoobydoobydontPosted 8/8/2014 9:51:25 PM
I've yet to see any game from PS360 or WiiU/Xbone/PS4 that had an unacceptable frame rate or resolution. So I guess I really don't care about either.
---
http://i.imgur.com/8LUhEFG.jpg
#27PulpPosted 8/8/2014 10:42:52 PM
Depends on the game....but console gamers dont have this "choice".

Masta race.
---
INTEL 533MHZ PIII 512k/133, ALL-IN-Wonder 128 Pro AGP, 128MB SDRAM, Sound Blaster 32AWE, 47GB Elite SCSI, Win98
#28Shamrock99Posted 8/9/2014 10:43:57 AM
Cornbread4life posted...
Shamrock99 posted...

It wasn't about the jump from SNES to N64 at all. Non-Expansion Pak compatible N64 games already ran in a much higher resolution than SNES games. But lots of gamers back in the day who had the Expansion Pak would turn on hi-res mode for compatible games even though that meant the framerate would take a hit. That was the usual trade-off with the Expansion Pak. Plus, the resolution results were usually pretty minimal and sometimes hard to see with the naked eye, so pretty much as minimal as the difference between 720p and 1080p nowadays. N64 was released in 1996 but the Expansion Pak didn't come out until 1998. Meanwhile, right off the bat the battle between 720/1080p is relevant for the PS4/Xbox One.

lunaticcore posted...
Shamrock99 posted...

Yea but the N64 was crazy blurry. It pretty easy to get over seeing a 720p picture if you don't have to see random screen tears and framerate drops.

Expansion Pak usually didn't help much with texture maps. It just made the entire game resolution higher. Certain developers claimed the textures would become hi-res textures but you certainly couldn't tell much if at all. Anyways, even if you were to play a N64 game in 1080p the textures would still be a blurry mess, just a blurry mess presented to you in 1080p. It's not like a major jump in resolution would all of a sudden completely re-draw the original texture maps for you into crazy modern bump-mapped goodness.
---
http://tinyurl.com/k8ebbaq | http://tinyurl.com/lwq5hyu | http://tinyurl.com/mu9xdv3
http://www.backloggery.com/Kajicat
#29nableetPosted 8/9/2014 10:53:13 AM
http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2014/04/23/lords-of-the-fallen-dev-1080p-tougher-on-xbox-one-than-ps4

"We definitely wont be below 30fps, definitely," he said. "I think if we have to choose between resolution and framerate, well probably choose to go full HD 1080p and have a stable, rock-solid 30fps, rather than try to lower the resolution and push it to 60fps because we believe this game looks pretty good, so wed rather have a decent resolution to show it off.

There is the lords of the fallen Dev prioritising 1080 over 60fps.
---
GT: Tyfighta23. PSN: Tee_Doff
#30duericPosted 8/9/2014 10:56:20 AM
nableet posted...
http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2014/04/23/lords-of-the-fallen-dev-1080p-tougher-on-xbox-one-than-ps4

"We definitely wont be below 30fps, definitely," he said. "I think if we have to choose between resolution and framerate, well probably choose to go full HD 1080p and have a stable, rock-solid 30fps, rather than try to lower the resolution and push it to 60fps because we believe this game looks pretty good, so wed rather have a decent resolution to show it off.

There is the lords of the fallen Dev prioritising 1080 over 60fps.

Eh. They just can't get it to run at 60 at any reasonable frame rate. So they say they're "prioritizing resolution".
---
"It's like people using the internet have never heard of the internet." - SadHillShowdown Gamefaqs member