If you had to, would you choose framerate over resolution?

#31dnmtPosted 8/9/2014 9:57:23 AM
Generally I would say framerate although with some games the difference between 30fps and 60fps is negligible, like if they're turn-based.
#32Cornbread4lifePosted 8/9/2014 11:16:28 AM
Shamrock99 posted...
Cornbread4life posted...
Shamrock99 posted...
Everyone choosing framerate over resolution... where were you back in the N64 Expansion Pak days? Most people were choosing hi-res mode over a smoother framerate back then.

And don't tell me you weren't gaming back then, or I'll feel old.

Probably because the improved graphics from SNES to N64 was huge. It makes sense that people were completely swept up in resolution back then. But the bickering between 720p and 1080p...there's a difference for sure, but you can't even compare it to the difference between SNES and N64. I'd take the better framerate at 720p any day than a worse/inconsistent framerate at 1080p, but I'd probably take the graphical improvement from SNES to N64 over a better framerate.

I say "probably" because good luck explaining all that s*** to me at 8 years old in 1996...or whenever the expansion pack came out.

It wasn't about the jump from SNES to N64 at all. Non-Expansion Pak compatible N64 games already ran in a much higher resolution than SNES games. But lots of gamers back in the day who had the Expansion Pak would turn on hi-res mode for compatible games even though that meant the framerate would take a hit. That was the usual trade-off with the Expansion Pak. Plus, the resolution results were usually pretty minimal and sometimes hard to see with the naked eye, so pretty much as minimal as the difference between 720p and 1080p nowadays. N64 was released in 1996 but the Expansion Pak didn't come out until 1998. Meanwhile, right off the bat the battle between 720/1080p is relevant for the PS4/Xbox One.

lunaticcore posted...
Shamrock99 posted...
Everyone choosing framerate over resolution... where were you back in the N64 Expansion Pak days? Most people were choosing hi-res mode over a smoother framerate back then.

And don't tell me you weren't gaming back then, or I'll feel old.

Yea but the N64 was crazy blurry. It pretty easy to get over seeing a 720p picture if you don't have to see random screen tears and framerate drops.

Expansion Pak usually didn't help much with texture maps. It just made the entire game resolution higher. Certain developers claimed the textures would become hi-res textures but you certainly couldn't tell much if at all. Anyways, even if you were to play a N64 game in 1080p the textures would still be a blurry mess, just a blurry mess presented to you in 1080p. It's not like a major jump in resolution would all of a sudden completely re-draw the original texture maps for you into crazy modern bump-mapped goodness.

I'm gonna direct you to my post #24 for why I brought up the jump from SNES to N64 to your point of why people were preferring resolution over framerate.
---
GT/PSN: Cornbread4life
#33GothmogzPosted 8/9/2014 11:18:40 AM
Framerate is gameplay, resolution is graphic, resolution is important on shooters.
---
Gamertag: Alehappy
#34Explicit DankPosted 8/9/2014 11:52:19 AM
I had no problem turning down the resolution for pc games that ran a little slow to get better frames, so resolution means nothing to me. If I have to use 800x600 to get something to run smoothly, so be it.
---
Parental Advisory - Explicit Dank
#35RCW29Posted 8/9/2014 11:57:09 AM
If you had to? Developers have to make this decision on almost EVERY xbox one game. Even on games that are 720p/30fps. If they had gone with higher resolution, the fps would have been even lower.
#36Juzten76(Topic Creator)Posted 8/9/2014 12:12:42 PM
Explicit Dank posted...
I had no problem turning down the resolution for pc games that ran a little slow to get better frames, so resolution means nothing to me. If I have to use 800x600 to get something to run smoothly, so be it.

I always did the same thing. The only difference that stood out was that the UI got bigger with lower resolutions. I was always using 800x600 to keep the frame rates high.
---
"demoes are dumb anyway. just buy the game. solves that." - The Village Idiot
#37CrusnikCainPosted 8/9/2014 1:01:44 PM(edited)
Framerate with out a doubt , sure i like a crisp looking game a much as anyone but i would rather that game play fluid than play like crap but look pretty
---
Gamer Tag / PSN : CrusnikCain