External Hard Drive Power Question

#1wrettcaughnPosted 8/8/2014 11:41:38 PM
I bought a WD My Passport Ultra 1TB today for use with my XB1. I had my system set to Instant On and to turn off storage at shut down.

I notice though that when I turn off the XB1 as I normally would (I realize this is just "standby") the hard drive stops spinning but continues to blink. According to the HDD manufacturer, the blinking every two and a half seconds is "system standby" mode but I cannot confirm anywhere what, if any, affect leaving it in this mode overnight would have on the drive.

Is anyone else using the My Passport Ultra and are you seeing the same behavior or having any issues?
---
GT: wrettcaughn
#2kingbahamut83Posted 8/9/2014 2:27:29 AM
I have a Casio 1tb drive but my One is set to energy saving. Couldn't find anything about leaving your drive in standby damaged it. Only thing I did find was someone using it on win7 and wouldn't be able to open or save files from that drive. You could unplug it. Only takes a few seconds for Xbox to recognize it.
---
Gamertag: AccursedVenom
Commander of Shop Wreckerz clan
#3kennyynnooPosted 8/9/2014 3:54:19 AM
My thought is it's no different then leaving a pc in standby and never fully shutting it down. Imo I think it'll be fine. I put games I don't play much on the external and just leave it unplugged for now though.
---
Own: Xbox one, 360, PS3, Wii
Richard is also known as Dick.
#4wrettcaughn(Topic Creator)Posted 8/9/2014 5:46:40 AM
Thank you gentlemen
---
GT: wrettcaughn