Gaming Headset

#11Cows Go HisssssPosted 8/9/2014 3:49:51 PM
I use the Turtle Beach surround sound DXL1s. Its inexpensive and it works great. I only had the X12s before, but gave it to my little bro and got the DXL1s because the X12s are stereo only while DXL1 is surround sound. I feel DXL1 is great for a starter headset. If a person has no idea what to buy, then start with the DXL1 because its like $50 on Amazon.

Make sure to buy the Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter so you can use the headset to chat. Its a must have.

Another thing is you can't have the mic cord plugged into the controller at the same time as the micro USB plugged into the controller. It causes horrific static through the headset speakers.
---
hey foo
hey foo
#12Road_Kill_666Posted 8/9/2014 4:25:57 PM(edited)
CRASS5000 posted...
CapwnD posted...
Ummm... lol.

Astros are great. I've used many different headsets, many different combinations. Astros are by far my choice for a boxed set. The Astro Mixamp /Sennheiser PC360 along with DSS2 is what I use.

Pretty much this^. The only way to get a better setup is to mix and match components.

Never even heard of the DSS2 till now, does it work with wireless headsets like the upcoming Turtlebeach Stealth 500X?
#13CapwnDPosted 8/9/2014 4:33:15 PM(edited)
Road_Kill_666 posted...
CRASS5000 posted...
CapwnD posted...
Ummm... lol.

Astros are great. I've used many different headsets, many different combinations. Astros are by far my choice for a boxed set. The Astro Mixamp /Sennheiser PC360 along with DSS2 is what I use.

Pretty much this^. The only way to get a better setup is to mix and match components.

Never even heard of the DSS2 till now, does it work with wireless headsets like the upcoming Turtlebeach Stealth 500X?

No. And the DSS2 alone doesn't really support chat. I use it in combination with the Astro Mixamp and Sennheiser PC360. It's complicated to explain, but the Mixamp handles the voice chat, and then goes into the DSS2 which is handling the game audio.
---
Death to the New Flesh, long live Videodrome!
#14velvet_hammerPosted 8/9/2014 6:10:36 PM
Astro is over priced hype. Its the apple iphone of gaming headsets.
---
People that approve of this video 10 & counting!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEPtCLAubaw
#15kingbahamut83Posted 8/10/2014 7:41:54 AM
Shura_Surplice posted...
whosagooner posted...
kingbahamut83 posted...
I just bought Astro a50s off Craigslist yesterday. Played a few matches of bf4 and ghosts. Never buying any other brand again.

How much did you get them for? And have you ever used Turtle Beaches before to compare? As I've only ever used TB

I wouldn't listen to that guy, sounds like one of those who get excited just by the brand.
Just go to amazon and check the reviews, the ones on the Astro headsets will scare you away.

If I were you I'd stick with TB, I have the TB Tango and I love them.
In a few months they will release their new headsets for the new gen, if you can't wait buy one of the 360 models, the ones for the X1 are not as good.

Only TB set I've used were the X12s. Hated them. Got a buzzing feedback when I reloaded, threw grenades or climbed things and everyone else heard it. I tried a skullcandy set and the mic didn't work. Spent the extra money and got tritton ax720s in 09. Been using them since but have wanted to try Astros short after getting my trittons.

I've seen the reviews this guy mentions, but wanted to try them anyway. I've seen many threads where CapwnD recommended get the mixamp at least with a mic and different headphones. Even saw a few detailing his extreme setup for those with the coin. I do admit to wanting the TB tango set, but short of buying it online, couldn't find it and didn't have that kind of money. Also, I got the A50s for 120 this past Friday. Better than my trittons.
---
Gamertag: AccursedVenom
Commander of Shop Wreckerz clan
#16whosagooner(Topic Creator)Posted 8/12/2014 2:28:30 AM
Thanks for all of the feedback guys!
#17kyncaniPosted 8/12/2014 2:52:40 AM
CRASS5000 posted...
CapwnD posted...
Ummm... lol.

QFT.

I had a gaming headset last gen and now I am just using a good stereo headset and some adapter for the mic.

Tried that setup because apparently any audiophile will tell you a good stereo headset trumps a 5.1/7.1 headset any day of the week.
#18CapwnDPosted 8/12/2014 11:10:35 AM
kyncani posted...
QFT.

I had a gaming headset last gen and now I am just using a good stereo headset and some adapter for the mic.

Tried that setup because apparently any audiophile will tell you a good stereo headset trumps a 5.1/7.1 headset any day of the week.

For music maybe, but for gaming the Turtle Beach "junk" cans do sound really good, and very immersive in 5.1. I'll still take the good headphones for music, though.

However, this gen it may be different. I can't find the sources, but I remember hearing that with the Xbox One, the xbox is using something similiar to Dolby Headphone technology, and you don't need to use a second product to produce the Dolby Headphone Technology simulated surround sound like we did last gen with the Astro mixamp, the DSS and DSS2 (this is what the Turtle Beach sets use) and such.
---
Death to the New Flesh, long live Videodrome!
#19kyncaniPosted 8/12/2014 2:57:15 PM
CapwnD posted...
kyncani posted...
QFT.

For music maybe, but for gaming the Turtle Beach "junk" cans do sound really good, and very immersive in 5.1. I'll still take the good headphones for music, though.

However, this gen it may be different. I can't find the sources, but I remember hearing that with the Xbox One, the xbox is using something similiar to Dolby Headphone technology, and you don't need to use a second product to produce the Dolby Headphone Technology simulated surround sound like we did last gen with the Astro mixamp, the DSS and DSS2 (this is what the Turtle Beach sets use) and such.

Well, if I remember it right, for the 5.1/7.1 thing, it sounds crappy because the speakers are too small, or crappy quality and a stereo headset with bigger and better speakers will be able to produce a better sound.
Or something to that effect, I don't remember the specifics.

One thing is sure though, to get a good headset, I would rather ask on an audiophile forum than on a video game forum.
#20duericPosted 8/12/2014 3:04:14 PM
Astros are the Bose/Monster Cables of gaming.

Stick with Turtle Beach if you've gotta have a gaming headset.
---
"It's like people using the internet have never heard of the internet." - SadHillShowdown Gamefaqs member